Billion Dollar Profit

9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I've stayed 95 nights all across the country this year.  If you want to limit PP's statement, go ahead.   

I agree Hamptons are decent hotels. I am Diamond with Hilton as well, as I almost always stay in their properties. However, if you want a desirable location with amenities then the price is definitely going to be higher.

I can still cruise for the most part in a balcony room for just over $100 pppd and all my food and entertainment are thrown in to that package price.

Edit: Most of my hotel stays are business related except for my pre cruise hotel stay of a night or two, a few times a year.

I have one land based vacation planned in 2024 for Branson MO.  It's is costing substantially more than any cruise I have booked in 2024.

Edited by Tree_skier

6 hours ago, chiguy67 said:

Just pack your chips along with your rice cooker, juicer, blender, inflatable bed, pillows and microwave. 😆 

And some ziploc bags to bring things back to your cabin and off ship at ports of call.

52 minutes ago, RD64 said:

In a major city or tourist destination?

Your query made me curious, so I did a search for Hampton Inns under $200 in several major cities and found the following quantities.  Obviously the rates will vary for different times of the year.

Los Angeles: 14

Houston: 33

Dallas/Ft. Worth: 40

Atlanta: 27

Boston: 6

Chicago: 6

Orlando: 19

So it does appear that there are definitely Hampton Inns for under $200 in some major cities.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Your query made me curious, so I did a search for Hampton Inns under $200 in several major cities and found the following quantities.  Obviously the rates will vary for different times of the year.

Los Angeles: 14

Houston: 33

Dallas/Ft. Worth: 40

Atlanta: 27

Boston: 6

Chicago: 6

Orlando: 19

So it does appear that there are definitely Hampton Inns for under $200 in some major cities.

Services per day? Full board? Entertainment? 

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Hmm, 12 month ending Sept 2023, they had a gross of 13.17 billion. So a 1 billion profit is 7.5%.

Which is actually a bit low.

The 1 billion was the profit for the 3rd quarter, not for the 12 months.  Total revenue for 3rd quarter was 4.2 billion. 

Edited by Starry Eyes

4 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Services per day? Full board? Entertainment? 

So let's see, the "you can't get a decent hotel for less than $200.", has turned into:

"You can't get a decent hotel for less than $200 in a major city or tourist attraction that includes daily cleaning services, food, and entertainment."  

Cruise Critic doesn't disappoint.

• Haha 5

On 10/26/2023 at 10:35 AM, Slidell_Cruiser said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/10/26/royal-caribbean-group-posts-1-billion-profit-company-sees-accelerating-demand
Well Mr Liberty, can we get chips back in the Park Cafe, even at one bag per person per meal..

just a question…

Chips aren't my hill to die upon.  I sailed last week, had zero chips, thought about chips zero times.  I think we all know that individual bags of chips aren't available because all too many people grab up half a dozen bags and take them home.  It'd be cheaper for the cruise line to get the big boxes of chips /serve a handful per customer.   

However, the real point is, You may need to bring aboard the things that really matter to you.  

On 10/26/2023 at 10:52 AM, orville99 said:

They are available from room service - of course they will charge you ~$9.00 to have them delivered - so order a week's worth when you call😇

If chips are your thing, that's actually a pretty good hack.  You don't have to carry them onboard, and you could have them for less than a dollar per pack.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:31 PM, Tlbecker1 said:

We are on our 12th day on Anthem and I have never had so many Royal dining packages offered to me.  Usually you have a few the first day, but we had 2 today on day 12.  Maybe folks aren’t booking them?

Yes, last week people from the specialty restaurants walked around all week -- they'd stop you on the stairs, come up to you by the pool or while you were eating outside Park Cafe -- and they'd ask you if you'd like to book Chops (or another restaurant) for 30% off.  Ditto for the spa.  

My take on this:  They've overpriced these products, and they aren't selling.  

I don't have any problem giving them a firm-but-polite NO, but I understand this rankles a lot of people.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:33 PM, BirdTravels said:

Have you looked around you recently? I always use my egg example where we used to be able to buy a dozen for $0.79/dozen a year ago. It skyrocketed to over $5.00/dozen, and and settled at nearly $3/dozen. Consider that the ships use 50,000-75,000 eggs a week, what are you going to cut or what price increase are you going to make to not lose your shirt... Yeah,,,, I fully realize that the cruise line buys in bulk and does not pay retail, but the point is everything cost more. 

In all fairness, food is UP overall ... but eggs were a weird out-lyer.  We all know why eggs skyrocketed in price, and that issue is resolved.  Eggs are a reasonably priced item again.  

On 10/26/2023 at 12:38 PM, Billy Baltic said:

Yes but they could have increased prices to account for inflation without cutting the service and quality.

I'm with you when it comes to cabin service.  I despise the increase in gratuity while service is slashed in half.  I really think they can't get enough workers.  

But I was satisfied with most of the food on last week's cruise!  

On 10/26/2023 at 2:03 PM, robmtx said:

I'm just curious what people eat on a daily basis on land? ... We've had some very good meals onboard, and some great customer service as well since they resumed sailing.

Agree that some people talk as if they eat at 5-star restaurants every day.  

We were very happy with the food onboard last week, and the service was excellent (just not enough of it in the cabins).  

On 10/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, LittleJoefromKokomo said:

miss the midnight buffet

We all have different opinions.  I went to the midnight buffet ONCE and thought, "THIS is what people rave about?"  I just ate dinner.  

On 10/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, RCFirstTimer said:

I noted that every single cabana I could see was completely empty.  Maybe people really aren't paying those super high prices. 

Yes, same as the hawking of specialty dining, they're overpriced.  People might want the product, but they aren't going to pay that $$$$ price.  In my own experience, I can't say NO cabanas were used, but most were empty.  

I'm not a business person, but it seems to me that if Royal's already invested in building the cabanas, they should lower the price and fill them.  It would please people, and some money is better than no money.  

On 10/26/2023 at 5:38 PM, bretts173 said:

... not looking forward to the time when I start moaning about these things.

Abraham Lincoln said Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  (Okay, probably not the exact wording.)  Moaning about things is a choice.  My husband and I -- I'm mid-50s, and he just turned 60 -- have discussed /determined that we will not be the geezers who whine about "the good old days".  

On 10/27/2023 at 11:36 AM, alfaeric said:

The people who I really feel for are the workers- who has had their staff cut and their workload increased- they should most certainly be paid more for what they do.  

Agree.  It happened to me in my job, and I hated it -- by the time I retired, I was easily doing 50% more than I did as a new teacher.  It makes me worried for the next generation.  

On 10/27/2023 at 1:49 PM, Starry Eyes said:

Grand Geezer

Love the name Grand Geezer!  

On 10/27/2023 at 2:16 PM, alfaeric said:

Ships are more sold out than I've ever remembered, based on the lack of price drops as time goes on combined with the increased penalties for canceling.  

I can't speak for every sailing, but a week or two before our recent cruise I did a "mock booking" and checked every category of room.  Less than 10 rooms were still available for sail.  And this was in fall -- low season!  Royal is selling cabins at these high prices.  

On 10/28/2023 at 9:51 AM, New2Cruise76 said:

Over summer, our family started talking about 2024 vacation ideas and settled on renting a houseboat on the Erie canal.

Oh, that's one of our goals!  Well, we're closer to Tennessee rivers and lakes, but we plan to rent a houseboat one day.  Now that we have a grandson who's too young to be trusted around all that water, that goal is on the back burner. 

On 10/28/2023 at 6:40 PM, HicksRA said:

IMO, the mega ships don’t seem to feel that much more crowded but the issue to me is dumping 6k people off at each port. Getting that many people off the ship and sorted into excursion buses, etc is very hectic. 

I don't care what you do, getting on and off the ship -- embarkation, island stops, disembarkation -- is a hassle.  

On 10/30/2023 at 11:03 PM, gammite said:

... IMO the commentary about the quality of food is grossly overexaggerated.  My most recent sailing was on Allure the week of 10/1.  I was expecting the worst.

The majority of my meals were quite good ... 

I could say the same thing!  Last week we ate dinner in the MDR most evenings /ate in the Windjammer twice for dinner.  (We do not pay extra for food onboard.)  While some things were better than others, everything was at least good.  I don't like to talk about food without giving details, so here are a few: 

- Grilled chicken thighs at every Windjammer lunch were a huge hit.  Done very well.  

- I was disappointed in my beloved Shrimp Cocktail because the cocktail sauce was one step up from ketchup.  

- I'd like to see better quality steaks (painting with a broad brush, the pork chops were better than steaks), but my Beef Tenderloin was quite good.  

- I'd like to see vegetables in larger quantities in the MDR, but I think that doesn't reflect the taste of most cruisers.  

- My personal favorite meal (in the MDR) was the Pan-Seared Fish.  

- The roast beef sandwich at the Park Cafe was very good -- we ate several over the course of the week.  

- Pizza at Park Cafe was so-so, but we don't cruise for pizza.  

On 11/3/2023 at 6:15 AM, A&L_Ont said:

I’m still chuckling at comparing the cost of crushing per day to a road trip in America. For an honest comparison it should be made against an AI.

I haven’t seen a respectable hotel room under $200 in a very long time. 

20 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Guess it depends on what you consider "respectable".  I do Hampton's a lot and they are usually under $200.

18 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Absolutely... I was just looking to do something for a few days off back in October down in by the water in San Diego. Most decent places near the water are a minimum of $250 per night plus a parking fee plus a resort fee and doesn't include food, drinks or entertainment once you are there.  

In Kentucky yes,  but rarely that cheap in tourist destinations like SoCal, South Florida or Hawaii.

I snagged a 2 bedroom villa at a Sheraton (1000 + sq/ft) in St Lucie for under $180 including taxes for my pre cruise hotel in December. 1 bedroom villas were under $150. I was pleasantly surprised to find something that low that would comfortably sleep a family of four. The Hampton's and Marriot's in the area appeared to have basic rooms under $130.

Vancouver last May/June was $300 per night for a basic room at the Pan Pacific (with a $30 dining credit) pre cruise and the suite at The Moda was about $350 post cruise on a weekend night. Vancouver prices are a buzz kill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Mea Cupla!

You can get a decent hotel for under $200 at some times and at some locations  🙂 

However, I still say cruising is a budget friendly way to travel, even at today's prices.  

Cruising CAN BE a budget friendly way to travel. 😜

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedIguana said:

I snagged a 2 bedroom villa at a Sheraton (1000 + sq/ft) in St Lucie for under $180 including taxes for my pre cruise hotel in December. 1 bedroom villas were under $150. I was pleasantly surprised to find something that low that would comfortably sleep a family of four. The Hampton's and Marriot's in the area appeared to have basic rooms under $130.

Vancouver last May/June was $300 per night for a basic room at the Pan Pacific (with a $30 dining credit) pre cruise and the suite at The Moda was about $350 post cruise on a weekend night. Vancouver prices are a buzz kill.

Well good luck with that for 2024 - May 25th - just a random date, cheapest price at the Pan Pacific is $715 CAD plus taxes for one night, the next week it is sold out, and the week after it jumps into the $900’s plus taxes.

The Fairmont which is comparable to the Pan Pacific is showing at $849 plus taxes for that same May date.

I also did a random search for a Friday in March. Cheapest price is $539 plus taxes.

Edited by RD64
Additional
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Of course, when one is willing to stay over 100 miles from the port, the number of pre-cruise hotel options is far greater and thus one is more apt to find a variety of price points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Of course, when one is willing to stay over 100 miles from the port, the number of pre-cruise hotel options is far greater and thus one is more apt to find a variety of price points.

It's a 4 hour drive from where I am at. Driving down in the morning would require leaving way too early for my 20 somethings. Driving half way down the night before lets everyone get some sleep and miss rush hour traffic in the morning. Hotel cheap enough to drive down the night before and meet family for dinner. 😋. The Sheraton Fort Lauderdale is actually slightly cheaper that night, but is only a 1 bedroom suite vs the 2 bedroom villa, and it would be late by the time we were able to get there

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So let's see, the "you can't get a decent hotel for less than $200.", has turned into:

"You can't get a decent hotel for less than $200 in a major city or tourist attraction that includes daily cleaning services, food, and entertainment."  

Cruise Critic doesn't disappoint.

Pretty sure it's called CRUISE critic. 

On 10/26/2023 at 1:16 PM, Starry Eyes said:

Of all the cut backs, a bag of chips is the least of my concerns.  There are loads of chips, cheap chips and fancy chips, in grocery stores and delis near home.  If you cannot live without bags of chips, pack some.  I do not care a bit about bags of chips.  I do care about the quality of the cooked food and the service in the restaurant.

Sounds like push pin vs poetry.  We each have our own tastes. 

On 11/4/2023 at 9:06 AM, Starry Eyes said:

The 1 billion was the profit for the 3rd quarter, not for the 12 months.  Total revenue for 3rd quarter was 4.2 billion. 

OK, that is a bit much,  25% is pretty amazing