Boston Hotels

hunt182644

17 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

You can also take a taxi or Uber/Lyft from the hotel, may be cheaper than a Princess transfer?

Yes, the Seaport area in Boston is where ships dock so all hotels in area are nearby. Some passengers may even walk to pier. 

It never ceases to amaze me how one can ask a specific question and then get answers that do not really pertain to the actual question. Is there anyone out there that could possibly give me a correct answer to my question? If you do not have a correct answer don't bother replying just to add to your number of post's. To quote a person who is quite often in the news come on man or ladies.😉😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hunt182644 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how one can ask a specific question and then get answers that do not really pertain to the actual question. Is there anyone out there that could possibly give me a correct answer to my question? If you do not have a correct answer don't bother replying just to add to your number of post's. To quote a person who is quite often in the news come on man or ladies.😉😁

Princess does not list a hotel in Boston on their website.  This is the first time I’m hearing that Boston is an embarkation port.  I’ll need to check that out.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-destinations/departure-ports/cruise-ports-and-hotels

7 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Princess does not list a hotel in Boston on their website.  This is the first time I’m hearing that Boston is an embarkation port.  I’ll need to check that out.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-destinations/departure-ports/cruise-ports-and-hotels

I was thinking that also - I don't remember Princess sailing out of Boston.

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I was thinking that also - I don't remember Princess sailing out of Boston.

Me too.  It's a new thing for next two summers.  Great link for the OP to check on their own.  It's probably so new, either PCL has not organized hotels, or no one has got around to updating the website.

I'd call PCL and ask a CVP if they know anything.  But I am in the camp of booking my own hotel.

Edited by Steelers36

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Me too.  It's a new thing for next two summers.  Great link for the OP to check on their own.  It's probably so new, either PCL has not organized hotels, or no one has got around to updating the website.

I'd call PCL and ask a CVP if they know anything.  But I am in the camp of booking my own hotel.

Cool - they are going to Portland, ME on itinerary.

Thanks for all of the reply's, one question tho why does Princess list Boston as a city they sail out of. As much time as I have spent on the Princess site over the years I was pleased to see the departure and hotel site on Princess. Guess one is never to old to learn something new. Usually travel from other ports around the country, N E would be something new Seeing as how princess has listed Boston as a departure then where do they depart from. Past year Boston was also mentioned, either that or I had one heck of a senior moment. Again thanks to all who responded to the question, looks like it is time to call my PCC.

10 hours ago, Coral said:

I asked my agent, and there are no hotels listed for Boston departures yet.

Coral thank you for the answer to my original question, which some had a problem with. As my PCC is out of office on weekends this saved me from having to bother her on Monday.

• Like 1

I have done business travel to the seaport area in Boston for some time. During the summer, the cost of hotels in this area is much higher. I suggest that you make a reservation that is cancellable at the hotel of your choosing so that you have a price estimate that's within your budget. In the distant past, the Princess cruise packages that included pre and post cruise stays were a significant savings but unfortunately I don't see that reflected in today's pricing from Princess. Further, depending on your hotel choice you may be close enough to walk if you don't have a lot of luggage. The walk from the Renaissance hotel to the terminal is .6 miles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

I have done business travel to the seaport area in Boston for some time. During the summer, the cost of hotels in this area is much higher. I suggest that you make a reservation that is cancellable at the hotel of your choosing so that you have a price estimate that's within your budget. In the distant past, the Princess cruise packages that included pre and post cruise stays were a significant savings but unfortunately I don't see that reflected in today's pricing from Princess. Further, depending on your hotel choice you may be close enough to walk if you don't have a lot of luggage. The walk from the Renaissance hotel to the terminal is .6 miles

We booked a C/NE trip out of Boston for a surprisingly good price when Princess first opened them up for sale a few months ago. As it's a July 2024 sailing, the hotel prices are stratospheric in the downtown area near the port, so we're going to stay much farther north in Burlington, right on our route down, then drive the half hour down to the pier the morning of the cruise (unless I can find a hotel with a good Park and Fly package).  The Hampton Inn right at the pier is almost $CAD800 for one night, for example, and the Homewood Suites next to it is over $1K per night. I'll be trying Trinity to see if they have anything useful

I will offer some advice to the OP (wanted or not :).  Cruise line arranged hotels/transfers will generally cost you about 150-200% of booking the same (or better) hotels/transfers on your own.  And when it comes to Boston, just like most larger cities, it is all about the location that best meets your needs/wants.  Boston is a city of neighborhoods and you should consider choosing the area (and class of hotel) that puts you close to what is important to you.  If you are planning to fly-in a day or two before your cruise, think about staying near the tourist destinations/restaurants where you want to spend the bulk of your time.  For example, you might want to be in walking distance of the Commons, Faneuil Hall, etc.  or, Perhaps you prefer to be all the way out in Cambridge.  If you are flying-in later in the day before your cruise, you might prefer one of the hotels located closer to the cruise port (lovingly known as the Black Falcon cruise terminal).  I might add that the neighborhood relatively close to the port has really been growing (in recent years) and has become a pretty decent area with a decent selection of restaurants.

As to transfers, this is overblown and a non-issue.  No matter where you stay, it is simply a matter of using taxis/Uber.Lyft to get from airport to hotel and hotel to port.  Even if you are at the closest hotel to the port, you are going to need transportation since most folks do not like taking long walks with luggage.  And getting from the airport to any hotel is simply a matter of walking out of the terminal and getting the next taxi (or calling for an Uber/Lyft).  

Hank

56 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We booked a C/NE trip out of Boston for a surprisingly good price when Princess first opened them up for sale a few months ago. As it's a July 2024 sailing, the hotel prices are stratospheric in the downtown area near the port, so we're going to stay much farther north in Burlington, right on our route down, then drive the half hour down to the pier the morning of the cruise (unless I can find a hotel with a good Park and Fly package).  The Hampton Inn right at the pier is almost $CAD800 for one night, for example, and the Homewood Suites next to it is over $1K per night. I'll be trying Trinity to see if they have anything useful

OK but...allow way more than 30 minutes to get there esp if it's a weekday. Traffic into Boston from every direction is stinking bad

4 minutes ago, Clampram said:

OK but...allow way more than 30 minutes to get there esp if it's a weekday. Traffic into Boston from every direction is stinking bad

Yup, it sure is. We know Boston pretty well as we visit occasionally heading to the Cape. Fortunately, we will be doing the drive around 8-9AM on a Sunday, so we should be OK but I sure will be using Google Traffic. Still, I'm going to be investigating closer possible Park and Fly/Cruise options, maybe near Logan, as the idea of just leaving the car where it is for a week and Ubering to and from the ship also has its appeal.

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will offer some advice to the OP (wanted or not :).  Cruise line arranged hotels/transfers will generally cost you about 150-200% of booking the same (or better) hotels/transfers on your own.  And when it comes to Boston, just like most larger cities, it is all about the location that best meets your needs/wants.  Boston is a city of neighborhoods and you should consider choosing the area (and class of hotel) that puts you close to what is important to you.  If you are planning to fly-in a day or two before your cruise, think about staying near the tourist destinations/restaurants where you want to spend the bulk of your time.  For example, you might want to be in walking distance of the Commons, Faneuil Hall, etc.  or, Perhaps you prefer to be all the way out in Cambridge.  If you are flying-in later in the day before your cruise, you might prefer one of the hotels located closer to the cruise port (lovingly known as the Black Falcon cruise terminal).  I might add that the neighborhood relatively close to the port has really been growing (in recent years) and has become a pretty decent area with a decent selection of restaurants.

As to transfers, this is overblown and a non-issue.  No matter where you stay, it is simply a matter of using taxis/Uber.Lyft to get from airport to hotel and hotel to port.  Even if you are at the closest hotel to the port, you are going to need transportation since most folks do not like taking long walks with luggage.  And getting from the airport to any hotel is simply a matter of walking out of the terminal and getting the next taxi (or calling for an Uber/Lyft).  

Hank

Congrats Hank you win the prize for the best answer to original question. You covered all bases and gave a very helpful answer. I agree about doing one's own booking rather than Princess due to cost. In the past we have always checked Princess cost for hotels, always do our own tho. Seeing as how this would be our first time out of Boston just like to check out all possibilites. Thanks again now on to further research.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:19 AM, lx200gps said:

Anything through Trinity?

45 minutes ago, camper49 said:

Anything through Trinity?

Sadly, no. Although they show Boston as a cruise port, they had nothing available for our specific dates in July. I'll try them again in a few months in case they open up some slots.

On 10/29/2023 at 8:19 AM, lx200gps said:

This reply has little to do with your original question, but I wanted to comment to @lx200gps or anyone else who may come across this discussion in the future ( using the search feature) about finding affordable lodging when sailing out of Boston. 

We sailed out of Boston on a NE cruise Sept 21, 2023 with Celebrity.  This cruise had been planned and pushed out for 2 years, so I also stalked prices at the Hampton Inn Seaport forever.  Then I realized I could rent a car and drive up to....yep you guessed it...Burlington Hampton Inn for less.  We went in 2 days early and enjoyed Concord and Lexington. (we've already done Boston in the past) We drove down on a Thursday am, leaving about 10:30 am and got to Yankee Lobster for lunch by 11:30.  Parked for free, ate, drove to the 2 minutes to the pier, dropped our luggage at the ship, drove the car back to the airport and took an Uber back to the cruise terminal.  SO easy and really enjoyed our time!

Edited by ColoradoMom!!
  • Like 2