Antarctica

Electra 7

thanks to all who posted 

can I now have info on dress code for night time 

we are just back off Queen Victoria and it was the dressiest cruise I have ever been on (even for Cunard which I loved) 

people always post how casual you can go but I was wondering how dressy the norm would be I know people will say go as dressy as you want 

my question is what to wear so I do not look out of place

We are also booked on the 1/7/2024 sailing and looking forward to the Antarctic experience. We've previously sailed Santiago to Rio sans Antarctica and had a great time at that. Very impressed with the Chilean fjords, Beagle Channel, etc. But this time anticipating the splendor of the Antarctica scenery and wildlife. We booked a balcony stateroom so we always have a view, but hoping the blackout curtains do their job for the midnight sun! 

Thanks to all for the postings, and safe travels to all on their upcoming journeys!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Electra 7 said:

thanks to all who posted 

we are just back off Queen Victoria and it was the dressiest cruise I have ever been on (even for Cunard which I loved) 

people always post how casual you can go but I was wondering how dressy the norm would be I know people will say go as dressy as you want 

On our recent 14 day Alaska on formal night most men just wore a collared long sleeve shirt and a pair of slacks. We saw some jackets/ties but not many.    For women, one pair of black slacks and a couple of nice tops is enough.  My suggestion is to bring long underwear, warm hat, gloves, sunglasses, and a jacket you can layer this should fill your suitcase!!   The best thing is to use the HAL laundry service and not pack for 7 days but perhaps 3 to 4 at the most. The turn around for the laundry was usually same or next day service.  

3 hours ago, Electra 7 said:

It sounds amazing thanks for all the positive reviews think we are sold on it 

Flights are very expensive from Scotland so we cannot even consider balcony but not a problem as my Husband will be bouncing from one side of ship to the other binoculars and camera round his neck and telescope beside him as he was our Alaska  cruise and our Greenland cruise 

Enjoy the cruise!  It will be the trip of a lifetime.  We had an outside cabin and didn’t miss a balcony.  We spent most of our time on the front deck where we could walk from side to side.  There was usually commentary and even a bowl of soup.  My husband and I each took binoculars as there was so much to see that we wouldn’t have shared nicely.  

4 hours ago, Electra 7 said:

thanks to all who posted 

Wear what makes you happy. You will not feel out of place. Keep in mind many people still dress up because they want special photos taken that night. Others just like to have an occasion to dress up regardless.   Other chose not to bother.  So it is a pretty much general mix. Nothing is now "out of place". 

Both times I cruised this area with HAL I had an ocean view porthole cabin..... I was outside most of the time. I think it was the most active I have been in years. I am not a "dressy" person usually and I wore comfortable clothes and took dark slacks and a couple fancy tops for the dressy nights and was fine. Layers are the key during the days. You will love it.

Susan

I'm taking the January 29, 2024 cruise on the Oosterdam, looking forward to it.  Thanks for the information.  I will probably be spending a lot of time on the promenade deck, I have an inside cabin.  Couldn't turn down the fare, all I had to do was pay the taxes.

We have done this trip 4 times - 2010 to 2019. Benefit of a verandah stateroom is you can come inside if you need warming up. We loved close up views of icebergs, penguins, whales and birds from our balcony. Whatever you choose you will love this adventure!

• Like 1

Our cruise to Antarctica in 2019 is definitely tops on our "most favorite" list. Sailing on the Zaandam would have meant we had to book a suite to get a balcony and that just wasn't in our budget so we were in an oceanview cabin. We spent a LOT of time on the outdoor decks and it was COLD but we dressed in many layers and did OK. One tip I might mention is to bring some Hot Hands hand warmers to slip inside your gloves or pockets. 

I did daily blog posts with photos from our trip and then posted some videos on YouTube when we returned. If you are interested in seeing what we did at each port and in Antarctica, you can access the blog here.

• Thanks 1

Anyone doing the late 2022 or early 2023 cruises, please post how it was -- in particular, whether there were guest speakers who specialized in Antarctica (and other ports) and how good/how many there were? 

I had this cruise reserved twice prior to Covid, but after my experience with Westerdam around Japan, I am reluctant to book it in case "cutbacks" have cut back on the thing I value most.

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Anyone doing the late 2022 or early 2023 cruises, please post how it was -- in particular, whether there were guest speakers who specialized in Antarctica (and other ports) and how good/how many there were? 

I believe you meant 23-24 cruises.  We will be departing on January 29, 2024. I am considering doing a live thread however I am also concerned about the availability of the internet in such a remote region.  If you don't hear from me, revive this thread in February and I'll be happy to answer any questions.  I am hopeful that we have excellent speakers because we have 7 days of scenic cruising and 5 sea days.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I believe you meant 23-24 cruises.  We will be departing on January 29, 2024. I am considering doing a live thread however I am also concerned about the availability of the internet in such a remote region.  If you don't hear from me, revive this thread in February and I'll be happy to answer any questions.  I am hopeful that we have excellent speakers because we have 7 days of scenic cruising and 5 sea days.

You are right, and thanks. Numbers were never my strong point, lol.

2 hours ago, breakiron said:

I'm taking the January 29, 2024 cruise on the Oosterdam, looking forward to it.  Thanks for the information.  I will probably be spending a lot of time on the promenade deck, I have an inside cabin.  Couldn't turn down the fare, all I had to do was pay the taxes.

Lucky you for getting a good price 

that's the cruise I am looking to go on 

1 hour ago, AryMay said:

Our cruise to Antarctica in 2019 is definitely tops on our "most favorite" list. Sailing on the Zaandam would have meant we had to book a suite to get a balcony and that just wasn't in our budget so we were in an oceanview cabin. We spent a LOT of time on the outdoor decks and it was COLD but we dressed in many layers and did OK. One tip I might mention is to bring some Hot Hands hand warmers to slip inside your gloves or pockets. 

I did daily blog posts with photos from our trip and then posted some videos on YouTube when we returned. If you are interested in seeing what we did at each port and in Antarctica, you can access the blog here.

Thank you I will read your blog 

great idea we will take our hand warmers 

There are 3 blogs of the current South America and Antarctica Grand Voyage, Btimmers, WriteronDeck, and Jeff Farshman (amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com).  Btimmers and Writer on Deck also post on cc.  Their photos and reviews of ports are fabulous.  They will be visiting some of the same ports that the 21 day Oosterdam cruises visit.  I am enjoying them.  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have been on a LOT of cruises doing a LOT of different itineraries, but our Zaandam cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires, with 5 nights, cruising in Antarctic waters was the best.  And if you have the time, and some "extra" money, add on a side trip to Iguazu Falls.  We did this on our own once we arrived in Buenos Aires.  We wondered if we should take an extra 2 nights to do it, and it was truly the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae.  In one trip we were in the glaciers and ice bergs, and then later hiking in the jungles,  An amazing experience all around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cruisin'teach said:

Check out the cruise critic member blogs by "Writer on Deck" and "Btimmer" Both on Zaandam now and sharing their cruise adventures and pictures. You can find info on cruise critic website HAL section.

ok will check it out thanks

11 minutes ago, Electra 7 said:

A huge thanks to all who posted such positive comments it made me book 22 nights instead of 14 nights 

just booked Antarctica for 27th Jan 24 so excited now

oops just in case I confuse anyone we leave Scotland on the 27th ship board ship 29th

On 10/31/2023 at 1:31 AM, The Other Tom said:

It's my understanding you don't actually get to set foot on the continent.  Is that correct?  I think it's scenic sailing.  

Antarctica tourism is governed by a trade group.  General rule is that to land you limited to ship of around the size of 200 passengers and a limit of around 100 people on shore at a time.

Other activities such as sleeping on land are limited even more.

Cruises that do go on land are alot more expensive then these cruises where you just have limit viewing from off short.  

• Like 1

It's hard to imagine, when looking at all the ice, that Antarctica is the driest continent on earth. Also, it is massive. Antarctica is 5.5 million square miles. USA (lower 48) 3.1 million square miles.

As a comparison Australia is the second driest (and smallest) continent - 2.9 million M2.

• Like 1