Food & Beverage Update from the President

AnnaNicole

I am cautiously optimistic about these changes.  Do I think we will be completely satisfied by them? Nope... but if they improve upon the most recent cut acks it will at least be a step in the right direction.  For what they are charging for cruise fare I think they discovered that chicken, tilapia, and pasta every night is not considered a good value for the money.

They are obviously getting a lot of push back from cruisers and, more importantly, a reduction in bookings.  Many loyal Celebrity cruisers have started looking elsewhere and are finding that either a.) they can get the same low-quality food options with other cruise lines for a lot less money or b.) they can pay just a little bit more and upgrade cruise lines to one with better quality.  That leaves Celebrity in "no man's land" and it is good to see they are trying to fix this.

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You CAN still get free drinks by going to other bars, that benefit remains.  So if one wants to mingle you can in the lounge, if you don't want to mingle, simply go to a participating bar.  You also have the choice to hang out at the bar or take the drink elsewhere.  Luckily we still have that choice to get free drinks at the lounge or get them at most bars

I would be more like to visit the lounge if they brought back the munchies they used to serve. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Why do I have to buy a bottle every night to get something decent?  I haven’t but why should I?

That’s how wine programs work. You’re never going to get notable or spectacular wines by the glass outside of specific wineries or wine bars especially on a cruise ship or a resort. You need to purchase bottles for that. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You CAN still get free drinks by going to other bars, that benefit remains.  So if one wants to mingle you can in the lounge, if you don't want to mingle, simply go to a participating bar.  You also have the choice to hang out at the bar or take the drink elsewhere.  Luckily we still have that choice to get free drinks at the lounge or get them at most bars

Having that dedicated lounge makes it easier to get the free drinks as they are premade in large batches  and you don’t have to wait as long for the BTs serving those with a drink pack at the other bars. 

As I said why be a snob and only mingle with those that are Elite or above?  If It wasn’t about the drink and they had a dedicated lounge for elite and above from 5 to 7 without the free HH  drinks how many would attend?  🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

7 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

That’s how wine programs work. You’re never going to get notable or spectacular wines by the glass outside of specific wineries or wine bars especially on a cruise ship or a resort. You need to purchase bottles for that. 

You’re missing something.  Celebrity sells very expensive wine by the glass packages then delivers sub par wines.

• Like 5

Frankly, did they really  need to take a group cruise & play undercover boss; &  then solicit comments for a webinar;  to learn that folks are not happy??? 

Wonder how much this dog and pony show cost to engineer?

They could read cruise critic, other travel  sites,   f  book and  read online reviews, speak to travel agents  and watch video u tube reviews etc..?  That tells the  story!

The giggly video was fairly vapid and did not promise food QUALITY would get better...or that other cuts would be reversed .

They  should look at the  posted pics of the ham at the buffet that looked worse than dog food!..Hope we do not see anything like that on ASCENT!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

So 2 things stood out for me Great they are reversing but mainly also the complete disconnect that exists from corporate to ship and customers.  Maybe this was a wake up call who knows i sail on Nov 20-Dec 4 on the silhouette hoping the changes are in affect.  In general they tried to get away with the food changes but did not win.  Will see what happens they had a lot of disconnect over the past year with these changes and if the food goes back that’s a big plus 

Edited by bikerunner
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Wasn’t this promoted as food AND beverage or did I get that wrong?  I am not a snob but they say nothing about their horrible wine selection by the glass.  Why do I have to buy a bottle every night to get something decent?  I haven’t but why should I?

Agee 100%!  And for past few cruises, cannot even get what is listed in the selection for the package.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

It's three weeks. They'll need time to figure out the menus and order food items. It's unfortunate for those sailing before Thanksgiving, but it's logistical.

Anyway, as one who doesn't like chocolate desserts, I'd better see my crème brûlée on the menu every night.

I agree!  As long as the escargots and crème brûlée are there, I am happy! 😁

• Like 2

Happy she and a team got out of their offices and spent a solid week working and experiencing what everyone on CC has been writing about. Guessing the Crew gave feedback too and for her to understand B2B needs is encouraging in not doing a surface level assessment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tfred said:

the video is well done and seems sincere attempt at damage control.  For it to get to this point (producing a video) X knows that there was a problem that needed to be addressed

Classics are coming back, more variety on the menu and chocolate desert every night. The said by Thanksgiving so that is pretty soon.

Not stated is the "where's my prime rib steak and Maine lobster tail" every night crowd.  I am afraid that they are SOL. If they are looking for that they should go to Fine Cut

That was one of the perks that used to be included when cruising on the major cruise lines especially Celebrity. If you are content with franks and beans and p b j ‘s the cruise lines will be delighted to accommodate you. 

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like it or not, complaining works.  Without it we’d have no pillow chocolates, vaping, a minimal selection at the dinner buffet, no free cookies at Cafe Al Bacio, etc

The squeaking wheel gets the grease. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jcpelly said:

Lets hope they also tried the great looking but god awful deserts at the buffet and something can finally get done about that.  How hard can it be to bake a cake and slap some frosting on it that actually has some flavor to it.

It’s all about the ingredients, no matter how good it looks. Good ingredients make for good taste,

skimping on them make for disappointment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I will give Laura kudos, at least admitted something was wrong.  Others may have said “I thought everything was PERFECT but we decided to give the customer what they asked for”

I have to agree with you.   It takes some big kahuna's to admit that we made mistakes and we are now trying to fix some of them.   Many a CEO kicks in their heels and say It's my playbox and we will play by my rules. 

I heard many good things potentially about increasing variety in the MDR --  What about Luminae -  They have had the same boring menu for 10+ year and on Edge class we don't have the ability to order off the MDR menu. 

I'll hold off my opinion until my next cruise.   We board Edge -  the day after Thanksgiving

• Like 7