Food Selection and Quality Hits an All Time Low

Vibe

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

I think it might come to food preparation, for food safety aspects.  

Anyone can serve themselves a plate raw veggies and walk away without it being cooked and eat it. If someone was foolish enough to walk away with uncooked meat and eat it that’s another story. I do not ever remember seeing uncooked meat (unprepared to eat) sitting at arms reach of patrons on a ship.

Really, maybe showing my age here. Meat was most certainly out front with the veggies, maybe other can chime in and remember this.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Why not put the meat out front along side the veggies. Is that asking to much to fix the issue?

Last sail Anthem this past February, the meats were side by side and you selected or pointed at them.   

Edited by nelblu

33 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Not telling you what to do, but I wouldn't completely skip it because of one review. It could have been a certain cook, it could have been a certain manager telling him he was using too much meat, who knows? If it's something I like, I will try anything myself no matter how bad of a review I read. If I then experience the same thing, I can easily move on and not go back. Just my 2 cents.

I have never seen had them put anything less than what I ask for in the stir fry. Granted, I don't like meat in a stir fry, but when I tell them extra onions, and then again say more... more... more  🧅 🤣they never have a problem adding what I want. I think folks just need to speak up when it comes to those made to order sections.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Last sail Anthem this past February, the meats were side by side and you selected or pointed at them.   

This was pre covid times,  when we actually put veggies and meat on the plates yourself. Not the pointing system like you are talking about. Maybe like 4 to 5 years ago.

Set-ups were something like this: You put on the plate and hand it to the cook. This picture is from 2016 Celebrity ship, Royal used to have the same thing.

Meat may have been partially cooked @A&L_Ont

https://celebrityreflection2016.blogspot.com/2016/02/day-4-stir-fry-station-cafe-al-bacio.html

Celebrity Reflection Caribbean 2016: Day 4 - Stir Fry Station, Cafe al  Bacio, Games and Shows

Edited by Jimbo

Just now, Jimbo said:

This was pre covid times,  when we actually put veggies and meat on the plates yourself. Not the pointing system like you are talking about. Maybe like 4 to 5 years ago.

Clarification, I was simply trying to point out that all of the ingredients for stir fry, pasta and omelets stations on Anthem where in front of you to select and the meats were not hidden from view.

9 minutes ago, nelblu said:

@Jimbo definitely not about raw meat being available for guests to walk away with. Certainly sounds like cost cutting measures to me. 

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Jimbo definitely not about raw meat being available for guests to walk away with. Certainly sounds like cost cutting measures to me. 

Tell you the truth, I actually remember as it being raw. It was there. Within my tongs reach.

Guess we need to find some older seasoned sailors for this one.

Edited by Jimbo

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Clarification, I was simply trying to point out that all of the ingredients for stir fry, pasta and omelets stations on Anthem where in front of you to select and the meats were not hidden from view.

Oh I wasn't saying anything was hidden, just the meats were right along side the cook.............Not reachable by a passenger to put on your own plate

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

At that time I think you could walk away with it raw, but who would want to eat raw chicken and raw beef. Not I. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Tell you the truth, I actually remember as it being raw. It was there. Within my tongs reach.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

At that time I think you could walk away with it raw, but who would want to eat raw chicken and raw beef. Not I. 

This just seems so wrong. 

When I'm in the mood for an omelet, I know what vegetables are available and I go to the lox (salmon) station and get myself a couple of pieces and ask the order taker to include in my omelet along with the selected vegetable.  Also, when they make the pasta dish, they do not add salt and I gently get a saltshaker from one of the tables and hand it to the preparer.  Pasta without a touch of salt is plain bland no matter how much sauce/gravy one adds to the dish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cynt said:

OP you might consider booking the ultimate dining plan. We really enjoy the specialty dining restaurants over the MDR. When my husband and I cruise alone we usually book UDP. When we cruise with family and friends we stick with MDR and do a couple of nights in specialty dining. 

I've also learned to order whatever the waiter recommends. I usualy add what I really wanted to that order as well.

What exactly are you ordering? And what about it do you not like? 

The issue is with the quality of the ingredients especially in the Windjammer. The fish is just some unidentified white fish. No salmon, shrimp or anything else. The chicken is poor quality, it has a rubbery consistency and an off taste.  Meat is rarely found and is also poor quality.  The problem with the main dining room is also lesser quality ingredients but not as bad as the Windjammer.  

I cruise with Royal Caribbean several times a year. Recently on Independence in August. Food quality was good. Maybe a new food supplier on the Wonder this week?

We ate at Giovanni’s last night, that was good.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

This just seems so wrong. 

I tend to agree, but it was sitting there in chicken juice and beef blood and you just picked up meats with tongs and put the meat is a saucer type dish and set that on your plate with your veggies and then handed that to the cook. He first threw in the meat into the hot pan(cooked that some first) and then added the veggies. You then if you wanted it spicy or extra spicy you told him and he would add into the pan, stir it around and serve it to you, it was so good back then. I would have a heaping plate full when getting back to the table, everything fresh and hot.

So good. 🙂

Edited by Jimbo

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

When I'm in the mood for an omelet, I know what vegetables are available and I go to the lox (salmon) station and get myself a couple of pieces and ask the order taker to include in my omelet along with the selected vegetable.  Also, when they make the pasta dish, they do not add salt and I gently get a saltshaker from one of the tables and hand it to the preparer.  Pasta without a touch of salt is plain bland no matter how much sauce/gravy one adds to the dish.

Sounds good, almost sounds like you are cooking for them too.

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Oh I wasn't saying anything was hidden, just the meats were right along side the cook.............Not reachable by a passenger to put on your own plate

Sorry, I thought that the meats where in back of the preparer and not in your view.  Also, could you have gotten some meats in the buffet that you would have liked and ask the preparer to include in the stir-fry.  

Edited by nelblu

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

Sorry, I thought that the meats where in back of the preparer and not in your view.  Also, could you have gotten some meats in the buffet that you would have liked and ask the preparer to include in the stir-fry.  See my comment #54.

Not sure he would do that or not, sometimes that is like contaminating his pan  because he is not sure what you have done with that food you are bringing him. I believe he only puts in his pan on the items that are in front of him that he see you add to your plate.

I can do that at "Jimbo's Kitchen" at  home.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Not sure he would do that or not, sometimes that is like contaminating his pan  because he is not sure what you have done with that food you are bringing him. I believe he only puts in his pan on the items that are in front of him that he see you add to your plate.

I can do that at "Jimbo's Kitchen" at  home.

But I think they constantly clean the pans.  I know they do it for the pasta and omelets.  

25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Guess we need to find some older seasoned sailors for this one.

Stir fry has been my go to for years and years. I have never seen the meat raw, it was always precooked. 

2 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Stir fry has been my go to for years and years. I have never seen the meat raw, it was always precooked. 

Wish I had took some pictures of the stir fry stations back then, the meat was raw.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, nelblu said:

When I'm in the mood for an omelet, I know what vegetables are available and I go to the lox (salmon) station and get myself a couple of pieces and ask the order taker to include in my omelet along with the selected vegetable.

I have done this in the past. Recently I've been having a lox and bagel from either the CL or Park Cafe for "pre-breakfast" so when I get to actual breakfast I put something else in my omelet, lol.

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Bit of an exaggeration, don't ya think? It takes maybe 15 seconds to grab some lox to bring to the omelet station.

Is my wife making her own drink when she grabs a banana to bring to a bartender later to be added to her strawberry daiquiri?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We really enjoyed the Kummelweck sandwich.  

The good:  We really enjoyed this sandwich and ate several over the course of the week.  They offer 4 toppings options:  Au Jus, Horseradish, Mustard, Mustard Ragout.  They piled on plenty of meat.  I like a touch of salt ... note that salt packets are available over by the drinks.  

The bad:  The line for the sandwiches was always long ... a staff member'd often come out and say, "If you only want pizza, please step to the left" to shorten the line; people caught on after the first or second day.  The Park Cafe and the Windjammer alternated times (so one was pretty much always open), so the sandwiches weren't usually available until after 1:00 or so (then again for late evening).  As such, we treated these sandwiches more like a snack than a lunch.  And the buns aren't huge ... you can get two at once.  

Note that Park Cafe also serves salads (good salads!), desserts, and fruit.  

I think most people in Windjammer are focused on meat first, potatoes (mashed, baked, french fried) as a second ... and veggies if they'll fit on the plate.  Hamburgers and hot dogs are always available at lunch and dinner, and I don't understand why they're so popular.  They're just so ... ordinary.  

What ship is this you are talking about?  This is definitely not the Allure which is the ship the poster is asking about.  Park Cafe and WJ do not alternate times on Allure and definitely no pizza in Park Cafe on Allure, it is in Sorrentos.

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We really enjoyed the Kummelweck sandwich.  

The good:  We really enjoyed this sandwich and ate several over the course of the week.  They offer 4 toppings options:  Au Jus, Horseradish, Mustard, Mustard Ragout.  They piled on plenty of meat.  I like a touch of salt ... note that salt packets are available over by the drinks.  

The bad:  The line for the sandwiches was always long ... a staff member'd often come out and say, "If you only want pizza, please step to the left" to shorten the line; people caught on after the first or second day.  The Park Cafe and the Windjammer alternated times (so one was pretty much always open), so the sandwiches weren't usually available until after 1:00 or so (then again for late evening).  As such, we treated these sandwiches more like a snack than a lunch.  And the buns aren't huge ... you can get two at once.  

Note that Park Cafe also serves salads (good salads!), desserts, and fruit.  

I think most people in Windjammer are focused on meat first, potatoes (mashed, baked, french fried) as a second ... and veggies if they'll fit on the plate.  Hamburgers and hot dogs are always available at lunch and dinner, and I don't understand why they're so popular.  They're just so ... ordinary.  

We avoid WJ on all rccl ships . Luckily we are in a suite so CK for most meals plus UDP for dinners, but Kümmelwick sandwich on allure was way better than lunch in CK.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Check this out: 

@A&L_Ont

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/stir-fry-station-on-cruise-ship-2250923095

When the link opens up, click on the picture and then look below picture.(on a cruise ship)

Royal used to be like this on their stir fry stations.(when their stir fry was good) had a lot more vegetable choices too back then like below. ( Jewel had zucchinni, pepper, onions and yellow squash, that was it and a bottle of red pepper to sprinkle on if you wanted it.)

You get a tong, I get a tong, everyone gets a tong.🤣

stock-photo-stir-fry-station-on-a-cruise

Edited by Jimbo

41 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It's like when you order a steak at a restaurant you tell them the way you like it cooked.  Same with me handing lox or salt. I'm basically telling them the way I want it.  Wish I could do the same to some of the MDR entrees.🤣

• Like 1