Carnival Panorama Propulsion Issues

welldone60

17 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I will be booking a 2:25pm flight back home out of LAX.  Is that reasonable?  The next flight is 430pm which gets us back to Newark after midnight.

I think you will be fine.  The one time we got back to port late, we could have easily made a flight at noon or later.  It was my own fault, I should not have booked such an early flight (I think it was either 10:30 or 11:00) but we've done that port many times (on both Radiance and Panorama) and always had plenty of time.    

And Carnival did warn us with an email a few weeks prior to our cruse (that the propulsion issues would likely cause us to be late) but by then the flights were already booked and it would have cost just as much to change them at that point, as to wait and see if we could make it (and then change them when we realized we wouldn't make it). 

Fortunately there are so many airports to choose from when sailing out of Long beach, we can always make something work (but LGB is my favorite - small, calm, quiet, open-air waiting area after security).

46 minutes ago, Ifixthings said:

5 times in 2 years on a 4 year old ship is a design flaw

Are the failures all of the same equipment? Are some azipod problems and some engine problems? Are some caused by outside factors like sucking something into a propeller seal?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ifixthings said:

If your car broke down 5 x in two years with the same issue, it's a defect in design.

Could be just a defective part, if it's the same part at all. In order for it to be a defect in design every azipod of a similar make and model would need to be similarly affected.

46 minutes ago, Ifixthings said:

If your car broke down 5 x in two years with the same issue, it's a defect in design.

I hate anaolgies, but if your car never went in for an aoul change and ran 24 hours a day 365 days a year, 500 miles a day, it has a different parameter then mine or your car.  You have absolutely no idea what the issue is, whether it is the same issue it is the prolulsion sustem or the genreator that supplies power, whether it is in the azipod oor computer that drives it, whether it is a parts or supply constraint, etc etc etc.   Where did you get your degree in mechanical engineering, maybe Carnival needs assistance?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ifixthings said:

The three carnival Vista class ships are identical. They all have the same problem 

And you miss the point, if there was a design flaw in the azipods themselves the other ships would also have the same issue,  not just these three ships.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

And you miss the point, if there was a design flaw in the azipods themselves the other ships would also have the same issue,  not just these three ships.

….and there are sister ships in other stables that are virtual twins to Vista class

18 minutes ago, Ifixthings said:

The three carnival Vista class ships are identical. They all have the same problem 

Le Sigh.

They've all had propulsion issues, but Carnival would be bonkers to publicly admit to what the actual cause of the problem is (which is what @chengkp75 was pointing out). We just know all of the ships have had propulsion issues, but nobody on these forums really has the gritty details of the actual problem.

2 hours ago, Ifixthings said:

Screenshot_20231108-123505.png

This is your "navigation" publication?  That site hardly has technical sources, unlike publications like gCaptain or Maritime Executive, perhaps?  And, this one site is your "many" publications?  And, where does it say that the ship has had the same failure in the past? 

I have no real respect for Carnival, but hate it when non-maritime types jump to conclusions about systemic failures, continual problems, or things that need redesigning.  As others have said, there are two Costa ships that are exactly the same as the 3 Vista class ships, and somehow no one has said anything about repeated failures on those ships.

2 hours ago, Ifixthings said:

And you know they are the "same" problem, how, exactly?

Terms like "propulsion problem" are about as general as "car problems".  And Carnival has not said it was a "propulsion problem" have they?  The term "affecting the ship's speed" is used frequently by many cruise lines to identify insufficient generator capacity due to disabled diesel engines.

• Like 3

I’m curious why skip Mazatlan and PV, but stay in Cabo long enough to still get back in late for debarkation?  They know the top speed they can currently go so why not leave with enough time to get back to Long Beach on time? Do you think for the sole purpose of giving the passengers at least one port stop?  I wonder if those currently on board would have chosen the port, or on on-time debarkation.  I hope they had a great day in Cabo either way!

Edited by RCmommy
Spelling

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The point is there is not a right or wrong, just people who have a different view, with different rationale, from a different perspective.  Nobody right, nobody wrong, but events happened that impacted their vacation.  IT IS their vacation after all.  That said, all count. 

I think I largely agree with your points.  As I've said, I wouldn't be happy with the Panorama situation and compensation and I think my reasons are valid.  Others disagree, and I recognize their opinions are theirs and also valid.  Furthermore, I understand Carnival's limited liability and all of that and, unhappy though I might be in the situation, I wouldn't have any intention of making demands, throwing a tantrum, or any such actions.

I do find it interesting when people insist their opinion and actions are automatically the appropriate ones for everyone despite the fact many of us have distinctly different backgrounds and circumstances.  Sure, there are obvious over reactions and all that, but I'm not going to insist traveler A should be content because traveler B is.  It's also easy for me to stand on my internet soapbox like this because I'm not in either traveler's shoes at the moment.

Lastly, on just the current sailing alone are what, thousands of passengers?  We will only hear from, and interact with, a small fraction of them here.  Hopefully most are ultimately happy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LuvCruiSun said:

They are still scheduled to arrive in Long Beach on time Saturday. According to people on board, the ship is currently at 15 knots.

Yes, I literally just read the same thing on fb.  That’s great news for them.

1 minute ago, Ifixthings said:

All cruise mappers show them at 8 knots and a 130pm arrival as of 10 minutes ago

That is what I saw! Lol. However some that claim to be on board now say it is at 15 knots and scheduled to arrive in time.

Who knows? 

• Like 1