Almost Live …. Sailing Aboard the NCL Viva on Her Maiden Trans-Atlantic

ColdCruise

3 hours ago, CruisnDeb said:

@ColdCruise is the ship decorated for Christmas? We board on December 6th and I’m hoping decorations will be up. 

no its not. No thanksgiving decorations either - last thanksgiving we dId a T A, the dining rooms were decorated with all kinds of carved fruit, etc (was on Epic).

I did hear rumors the kitchen staff are prepping Christmas decor (gingerbread houses were mentioned). I think the next cruise if a fam cruise for the industry & influencer crowd - there’s a small gap in the cruise schedule but crew are talking about tomorrow being turn over day.

enjoy your 6 Dec cruise - we looked at but couldn’t swing it AND the TA (still working)

Quick question. The deck plans say that the Humidor Cigar Lounge is on deck 7, however, it isn't listed on the actual deck plans. Can you confirm if there is actual one onboard and if it is on deck 7? It's usually near the Whiskey Bar, but that is showing on deck 8, and the Humidor is showing there either. If not, no worries.

TIA

21 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Looks like the soft serve available in the Surfside buffet. Scooped (hard) ice cream & gelato only in the sit down restaurants???

Let's hope it's not like the soft serve in the buffet, since that is ice MILK...not ice CREAM. In which case, the name of the station would be false advertising.

1 hour ago, quillwercruisers said:

Quick question. The deck plans say that the Humidor Cigar Lounge is on deck 7, however, it isn't listed on the actual deck plans. Can you confirm if there is actual one onboard and if it is on deck 7? It's usually near the Whiskey Bar, but that is showing on deck 8, and the Humidor is showing there either. If not, no worries.

TIA

next to Metropolitan. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 5:50 AM, ColdCruise said:

Wines on board V!va

all the sit down restaurants will present you with essentially the same Wine List. Even the wine stewards will recommend from the same list. However the wine stewards do have info in additional wines, some even available by the glass although most “off menu” wines are bottle only. Its kind of like the Starbucks “secret menu”

Exceptions:

Cagney’s -ask for the tablet to see more options, most NOT on the Premium package 

Onda - they have a Super Tuscan inly available in Onda. It's on the Premium package

Le Bistro - specialty wine is Veuve Cliquot champagne ($70ish at Costco)

Palomar - specialty is organic, natural and/or biodynamic wines. Some of these are also in the Metropolitan bar (only 2 locations). AFAIK most are listed only in the tablet, they hand you the standard wine list when asked. Specifically ask to see the tablet. The wine steward suggests wines from the standard list unless pressed. Sime of these.

Hudson’s/Commodore - they provide the standard wine lust but the wine stewards, Chris and Jayson (in H & C respectively) are very enthusiastic and may guide you off menu.

did not eat at Los Lobos and Food Republic and had beer at Indulge and The Local

The standard Viva Wine List

IMG_4257.thumb.jpeg.56a0ea539c6a4660ecf15512146690b8.jpeg

IMG_4254.thumb.jpeg.c93cddc7da5fad4470672b44601451fe.jpeg

OK...Beringer should NEVER be listed as a "Premium Selection" wine on ANY menu🤣

(I realize Premium is just the standard package...but the words Premium & Beringer do not belong together...)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, KKB said:

(I realize Premium is just the standard package...but the words Premium & Beringer do not belong together...)

Agreed, Berigner shouldn't be "premium" and I agree that "premium" in this case is a marketing term.  That being said, when considering the mass demographic that NCL is targeting, Beringer might actually be premium 😞 .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, PATRLR said:

Agreed, Berigner shouldn't be "premium" and I agree that "premium" in this case is a marketing term.  That being said, when considering the mass demographic that NCL is targeting, Beringer might actually be premium 😞 .

Hey I'm no wine snob--I'm a fan of Aldi Winking Owl Pinot Grigio for $3/bottle!

BUT I like what I like & I know what I DON'T like.

(ie Sauvignon Blanc ideally from NZ/AUS, Europe will do, but not a fan of CA or Chile SBs)

When the Aldi girl thinks Beringer is bad...well, you KNOW it is--but it's no Mad Dog!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I have never before found that I did not like any of the wines in a basic package on any cruise line. There is usually something.  But this time after trying all the reds I just gave up. 

On 11/27/2023 at 9:24 AM, Palmetto Pilot said:

Did you book under a military rate? or do you have to sign up?

Yes. 
I signed up via ID.me, linked from NCL’s veterans program oage

https://www.ncl.com/military?intcmp=pro_sl_military3

now when I am logged in, I always see the military discount rate (-10%)

0BE4DE30-68EE-4F7B-902C-49EC27244611.thumb.jpeg.23ddd1faada2db356235e95f967abcd2.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KKB said:

9 hours ago, KKB said:

Hey I'm no wine snob--I'm a fan of Aldi Winking Owl Pinot Grigio for $3/bottle!

BUT I like what I like & I know what I DON'T like.

(ie Sauvignon Blanc ideally from NZ/AUS, Europe will do, but not a fan of CA or Chile SBs)

When the Aldi girl thinks Beringer is bad...well, you KNOW it is--but it's no Mad Dog!

9 hours ago, PATRLR said:

@KKB & @PATRLR I agree- the only way Berlinger white Zin and “premium” belong together is in some marketing fool’s mind, a marketing fool who never drank anything more than cheap plonk. I don’t think I’ve had that since (or if ever?) college days…more than a couple decades ago! I tried it on board, it was free, and quickly moved on. 

@KKB I too am a fan of the winking owl PG - great summer wine for picnics, patios & parties, etc. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zignewt said:

I have never before found that I did not like any of the wines in a basic package on any cruise line. There is usually something.  But this time after trying all the reds I just gave up. 

I noticed several wines on Premium Plus that I drank on the Premium package previously (Sep 22 and prior)

totally not impressed with the current Premium wine line up - currently fewer choices and then from really low bottle price points & quality.

On 11/27/2023 at 1:16 PM, schmoopie17 said:

Let's hope it's not like the soft serve in the buffet, since that is ice MILK...not ice CREAM. In which case, the name of the station would be false advertising.

Yes the buffet was definitely ice MILK. Didn’t try the o neon deck 8. As previously mentioned it was never open when I was in the area. Hmmm, maybe they closed when they saw me on deck?

On 11/27/2023 at 4:59 AM, ColdCruise said:

no its not. No thanksgiving decorations either - last thanksgiving we dId a T A, the dining rooms were decorated with all kinds of carved fruit, etc (was on Epic).

I did hear rumors the kitchen staff are prepping Christmas decor (gingerbread houses were mentioned). I think the next cruise if a fam cruise for the industry & influencer crowd - there’s a small gap in the cruise schedule but crew are talking about tomorrow being turn over day.

enjoy your 6 Dec cruise - we looked at but couldn’t swing it AND the TA (still working)

Back home so easier to post.

We did a main galley tour.

IMG_20231123_091803.thumb.jpg.faf23b43311fc0b6807b8dbcab233e31.jpgIMG_20231123_091807.thumb.jpg.59d2bdd245027435fde02dbf7740d3d4.jpgIMG_20231123_092004.thumb.jpg.c9934f515afe6bd9764314958ef79373.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Yes. 
I signed up via ID.me, linked from NCL’s veterans program oage

https://www.ncl.com/military?intcmp=pro_sl_military3

now when I am logged in, I always see the military discount rate (-10%)

0BE4DE30-68EE-4F7B-902C-49EC27244611.thumb.jpeg.23ddd1faada2db356235e95f967abcd2.jpeg

Awesome I got verified today. I wish I would have known a few days ago before I booked! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cybergremlin said:

So no white/glow party on this trip wonder why this was the case, I did notice a lot of people wearing white during the 90s dance party

Righto! I bought a nice white top and neon print capris for the Glow party on Viva, only for it not to happen! I'll save them for the next cruise as long as it isn't a prima class ship! 

4 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Righto! I bought a nice white top and neon print capris for the Glow party on Viva, only for it not to happen! I'll save them for the next cruise as long as it isn't a prima class ship! 

Finished does not happen any more White hot went years ago and Glow party cut for cost reasons 

On 11/29/2023 at 8:33 AM, insidecabin said:

Back home so easier to post.

We did a main galley tour.

IMG_20231123_091803.thumb.jpg.faf23b43311fc0b6807b8dbcab233e31.jpgIMG_20231123_091807.thumb.jpg.59d2bdd245027435fde02dbf7740d3d4.jpgIMG_20231123_092004.thumb.jpg.c9934f515afe6bd9764314958ef79373.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing that @insidecabin !

Was your main galley tour part of the Latitudes Behind the Scene tour, the $149 tour or something else?

the Latitudes BtS tour I went on started with the Onda kitchen (they didn’t refer to it as a galley but as a kitchen due to association with Scarpetta, I believe).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Thanks so much for sharing that @insidecabin !

Was your main galley tour part of the Latitudes Behind the Scene tour, the $149 tour or something else?

the Latitudes BtS tour I went on started with the Onda kitchen (they didn’t refer to it as a galley but as a kitchen due to association with Scarpetta, I believe).

Our Latitude BTST was also Onda

This was an invite tour.

• Like 1