Walking sticks and P&O

Megabear2

6 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

And those who just turn up and ask for assistance purely to get in front of the embarkation queue - let's hope they are indeed refused boarding.

We can always hope! Let's hope at least they get told to wait at the back of the queue and that they will be assessed, with a further delay, when they reach the front to see whether they are deemed to be capable of managing on board without assistance.

Edited by david05

13 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I think it highly unlikely that anyone will be refused boarding simply because they have an undeclared walking stick but are capable of moving to/from the ship and up/down stairs without anyone helping them.

The way that this "policy" is being portrayed at the moment that is exactly what will happen.

I generally tick the box about requiring assistance for boarding and disembarking, but always push Pauline's wheelchair myself.  That is because we are always directed to the assistance area, and if you have not ticked the box you are not on their list, which does cause quite a bit of confusion.

On disembarking we tend to follow Selbourne"s policy of avoiding the assistance assembly point and walking straight to the gangway, so far that's been 100% successful.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

generally tick the box about requiring assistance for boarding and disembarking, but always push Pauline's wheelchair myself.  That is because we are always directed to the assistance area, and if you have not ticked the box you are not on their list, which does cause quite a bit of confusion.

On disembarking we tend to follow Selbourne"s policy of avoiding the assistance assembly point and walking straight to the gangway, so far that's been 100% successful.

we do the same, always easier if i push her wheelchair.

Sat 27 Jan 24 Emergency Evacuation Chair Passenger 2

Sat 27 Jan 24 Southampton Embark

Noticed this on our invoice for upcoming cruise I did select my wife would need assistance on the stairs in case of an emergency ( she is a wheelchair user). So now it is recorded. not usually shown never seen it before.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, pennib said:

We are currently on a Marella cruise. Never been asked about disabilities etc. no emails or questionnaires about it. Hundreds of walking stick users on board!! Having a great cruise which gives P& O a run for their money.

We like Marella but since the ships went all inclusive and we virtually stopped drinking they are more expensive than P&O even with late deals. Glad you are enjoying it sticks and all.

• Like 4

On 11/18/2023 at 3:01 PM, solentsam said:

Sat 27 Jan 24 Emergency Evacuation Chair Passenger 2

Sat 27 Jan 24 Southampton Embark

Noticed this on our invoice for upcoming cruise I did select my wife would need assistance on the stairs in case of an emergency ( she is a wheelchair user). So now it is recorded. not usually shown never seen it before.

@solentsam you say this was on your invoice, does that mean you have had a new one since you filled in the medical questionnaire, or did you find this on line, if so can you please advise how to find this data?

• 2 weeks later...

After all the discussions on here about the new online questionnaire I thought I had better fall into line, so I completed new online forms for all 5 of the cruises we had booked, despite already having completed the old forms, and if I now go into the online questionnaire form it does advise me that I have already completed a form, and the date.

However today I received an e-mail about one of them, which reads as though I have not yet completed the new online form.

Now if I can find the information that a form exists and when it was done, why on earth cannot P&O passenger services?

Today I had 3 emails, one each for the cruises where I have completed a medical questionnaire

We can see that you have requested a medical or mobility on-board needs questionnaire to ensure your holiday is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

We have recently updated how you let us know about your on board needs. It's vital to inform us if, for example, in the unlikely event of an emergency, you would need: 

a. An evacuation chair - this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who is unable to use the stairs due to mobility or other circumstances, or for anyone bringing a wheelchair or mobility scooter. 

or 

b. One-to-one assistance - this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who requires someone to guide and steady them on the stairs, due to mobility or other circumstances. For anyone who uses a mobility aid, such as a walking stick or walker, this is the recommended level of assistance. 

I assume I do not need to complete another 3 forms. 

I ended up filling in 3 forms for each cruise! After a lot of discussions and argument I received this:

Good morning X

Thank you for your email.

We have received the On Board Needs questionnaire for Mr X, and this has been recorded against the above booking. Should any requirements change prior to sailing please do let us know.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Kind regards

Megan

Guest Support Representative

Accessibility"

Your guess is as good as mine.

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Today I had 3 emails, one each for the cruises where I have completed a medical questionnaire

We can see that you have requested a medical or mobility on-board needs questionnaire to ensure your holiday is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

We have recently updated how you let us know about your on board needs. It's vital to inform us if, for example, in the unlikely event of an emergency, you would need: 

a. An evacuation chair - this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who is unable to use the stairs due to mobility or other circumstances, or for anyone bringing a wheelchair or mobility scooter. 

or 

b. One-to-one assistance - this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who requires someone to guide and steady them on the stairs, due to mobility or other circumstances. For anyone who uses a mobility aid, such as a walking stick or walker, this is the recommended level of assistance. 

If they were the old forms you completed I would presume yes, you need to complete the new forms. If you have completed the new forms, who knows?! 

or 

I'd say yes you will need to.  Certainly they made us do one for each cruise despite our submitting the old paper version and reading Terrierjohn's post he too has filled them in on line a second time.

Incidentally a highly regarded travel agent many on here use just booked a couple of Cunard and P&O cruises for me and they insisted I gave them details over the phone at time of booking despite my saying I'd do them myself online.  I was told they would not make the booking without my stating one to one assistance minimum with the occasional use walking stick.  

I completed the forms online not the paper version. Just checked and the bookings state “evacuation chair required for one passenger”. Hopefully that is it sorted now. 

Is this information online, or on a revised  booking confirmation?

I’ve only just caught up on this thread. The title didn’t interest me as neither of us use a walking stick, but I now realise that it is about the emails that we’ve all received and the clamping down on people not declaring issues. 

@molecrochip I’m glad that Carnival are clamping down on those who claim that they need assisted embarkation and disembarkation when they clearly don’t, in order to gain some perceived advantage. This has been abused for years and the numbers of people who now claim to need assistance deters many of us who would genuinely appreciate some help from using the service. The irony is that, in the case of disembarkation, it takes far longer using the assistance service than just walking off the ship (as we now do). As my wife’s problems are primarily her legs, I dislike having to pile up our hand luggage on her lap in the wheelchair, but we would both rather do that until we get into the luggage hall (where we grab a porter) than go to the assistance lounge, as the blatant abuse that we’ve witnessed there infuriates us and we’d rather avoid it. 

@terrierjohn Like you, I have completed the online ‘on board needs’ forms via the cruise Personaliser for all our future P&O and Cunard cruises, even though we had already submitted the previous versions via email. With all the threats in the emails I decided that a ‘belt and braces’ approach was the best bet. 

@Megabear2 Years ago, when my wife still had some use of her legs, she was called for the ‘step test’ assessment that was mentioned to you. It was usually held in the show lounge at the back of the ship during the daytime on a sea day. Those required to take the test were given a 1 hour window during which time they needed to attend. It wasn’t a private 1:1 thing as implied to you. Basically you turned up, gave them your name, took the test, they made a note as to whether you pass or fail and off you go. Took seconds. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that it was stressful, worrying if my wife would be able to do it or not, but it’s obviously essential for everyone’s safety so something that we have to just accept. If your cruise has no tender (or possible tender) ports they won’t conduct this exercise, as it would be pointless. Since my wife has been unable to pass the test we try to avoid cruises with tender ports, but where we’ve had them and I’ve gone ashore on my own I’ve seen the same step test markings on the approach to the tenders, although use of them has been patchy.