Grand Princess Gastro And Covid Outbreak

Zanny

On 11/15/2023 at 9:26 PM, MMDown Under said:

In Queensland, we acknowledge people we walk past.  Ron Clarke, the runner and past Mayor of the Gold Coast used to doff his hat, In Sydney, when I walked, the people I passed just ignored me. 

That’s because they knew you were  a Queenslander 😂😂😂😂

Edited by gbenjo
  • Haha 2

Interesting observation so far this cruise season,  after working scanning guests as they board the ship………far less people seem to be sanitising  their hands now then  they did pre covid.

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Interesting observation so far this cruise season,  after working scanning guests as they board the ship………far less people seem to be sanitising  their hands now than they did pre covid.

I believe it. People fall into bad habits quickly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

You can only do so much though, and have to leave enough mental space to drop barriers to relax and have fun. Hypothetically, do I touch the handrails and risk getting gastro, or do I avoid them and risk falling down the stairs and breaking my leg. Hmmm.

Brings back memories of one of my last cruises BC.  Was on Carnival Spirit and it was just prior to shutdown in the March.  Everyone getting a bit paranoid about this new bug.  Rushing along to trivia and faced with the choice of hanging onto the handrails or not I decided not to and promptly tripped on the metal angle on the edge of the stairs and down I went.  Fell headfirst about 4 steps and although did not break any bones one foot was around twice the size of the other with swelling and lots of bruising elsewhere which I had to try to explain when I got home to my kids.  I was travelling solo. 

No one came to help me.  An old Italian guy waiting for the lift asked if I was ok - which I wasn't and then said he had to get the lift he was in a hurry.  When I finally managed to lift myself off the floor and find a chair in Alchemy I managed to signal a cleaner who found a young waiter who came over.  I asked for ice and the only thing he could find to put some in was a pair of rubber gloves which he did.  Interesting trying to hold them to my face.

Major injury was to my dignity.  Now regardless of what bugs are circulating and how late I am running I hang on to handrails for dear death.  I'll take the bugs anytime.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Brings back memories of one of my last cruises BC.  Was on Carnival Spirit and it was just prior to shutdown in the March.  Everyone getting a bit paranoid about this new bug.  Rushing along to trivia and faced with the choice of hanging onto the handrails or not I decided not to and promptly tripped on the metal angle on the edge of the stairs and down I went.  Fell headfirst about 4 steps and although did not break any bones one foot was around twice the size of the other with swelling and lots of bruising elsewhere which I had to try to explain when I got home to my kids.  I was travelling solo. 

No one came to help me.  An old Italian guy waiting for the lift asked if I was ok - which I wasn't and then said he had to get the lift he was in a hurry.  When I finally managed to lift myself off the floor and find a chair in Alchemy I managed to signal a cleaner who found a young waiter who came over.  I asked for ice and the only thing he could find to put some in was a pair of rubber gloves which he did.  Interesting trying to hold them to my face.

Major injury was to my dignity.  Now regardless of what bugs are circulating and how late I am running I hang on to handrails for dear death.  I'll take the bugs anytime.

Me too.  It is too engrained in me to hold the hand rail when I'm walking downstairs to not do it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I have a couple of friends that have had arguments with glass atrium stairs, and another that has issues with rolled-up towels on the floor of a cabin bathroom. Hard to imagine that breathing in the aromas of a lift could also be a lower risk than the stairs in bumpy seas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

Brings back memories of one of my last cruises BC.  Was on Carnival Spirit and it was just prior to shutdown in the March.  Everyone getting a bit paranoid about this new bug.  Rushing along to trivia and faced with the choice of hanging onto the handrails or not I decided not to and promptly tripped on the metal angle on the edge of the stairs and down I went…

This reminds me of a line from an old George Formby song entitled "Pleasure Cruise". 
Down the companionway, you fall ten times a day…

For the young people in this forum:

A companionway is a ladder or steep staircase between the decks of a ship.
George Formby was an English comedic singer-songwriter from the first half of the 20th Century who often accompanied himself on the banjolele.

A banjolele is…

oh never mind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

This reminds me of a line from an old George Formby song entitled "Pleasure Cruise". 

George Formby was an English comedic singer-songwriter from the first half of the 20th Century who often accompanied himself on the banjolele.

A banjolele is…

oh never mind!

I hope he play with himself in public. :classic_tongue:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

A banjolele is…

oh never mind!

Oh I remember it well!

Eileen…not the one from Queensland.,,whoever she was!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

George Formby was an English comedic singer-songwriter from the first half of the 20th Century 

Hahaha, aren't you one of the young spring chickens yourself? 🐔 

16 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hahaha, aren't you one of the young spring chickens yourself? 🐔 

I have a significant birthday in January! 😱

The general consensus is that I was 50 when I was born. 
Old/young is all relative. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I have a significant birthday in January! 😱

The general consensus is that I was 50 when I was born. 
Old/young is all relative. 

Will you have your significant birthday on your cruise on Resilient Lady?  Sounds like it is a ship to party!  

7 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Hi All

Just got email from Princess boarding in Melbourne has been delayed until 4pm ( on Wednesday ) due to deep clean due to gastro

hope that it the only glitch  we have... so one more lunch at home lol

Don with Coffee

I disembarked the Grand four weeks ago and people were starting to go down with it then - that seemed to be the start of it. Been going on a while in that case. It must be awfully hard to eradicate on a cruise ship when you have such a big cross-over of staff and passengers coming and going. The ship seemed very crowded in every area at almost any time of the day and night - that wouldn't help.

Stay safe and try to eat outdoors if possible. Hope the weather clears for you.

31 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Hi All

Just got email from Princess boarding in Melbourne has been delayed until 4pm ( on Wednesday ) due to deep clean due to gastro

hope that it the only glitch  we have... so one more lunch at home lol

Don with Coffee

Noro is easier to avoid than COVID. Wash your hands, obviously before you eat and I also suggest, when you return to your cabin. Although you can wash and sanitise your hands before you have a meal,  you have to use your hands to move your chair into position at the table. Hand sanitiser isn't totally effective against Noro. I play it safe and don't have bread rolls or anything else that I have to pick up with my hands while the Code Red is operative. You will probably be given paper sachets of salt and pepper rather than having the shakers on the table.

• Like 1

Are they giving any compensation?  It got very tiring having to vacate cabins and pack up on the first voyage and all they did was keep reminding us the wash our hands and use cabin toilets.  I would have if they were working which my area they weren't in the mornings for the first week.  Other areas were having problems with toilets also. Heard people from other decks complaining.

I know that somehow they have to get rid of it but a little compassion and even $50 would have softened the inconvenience which we went through.  Really puts a downer on the voyage especially if it is a long one.

7 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Are they giving any compensation?  It got very tiring having to vacate cabins and pack up on the first voyage and all they did was keep reminding us the wash our hands and use cabin toilets.  I would have if they were working which my area they weren't in the mornings for the first week.  Other areas were having problems with toilets also. Heard people from other decks complaining.

I know that somehow they have to get rid of it but a little compassion and even $50 would have softened the inconvenience which we went through.  Really puts a downer on the voyage especially if it is a long one.

Sorry to hear of your inconvenience with no working toilets in the first week.  How old is the ship?