GTY "barcode trick" question

We just booked a last minute (sails in 3 weeks) cruise. Saw a good deal on a balcony guarantee and grabbed it. After a few days of barcode showing "-GTY" it is now showing a cabin number, and I'm really happy with the location.

Has anybody seen their cabin number change after the barcode trick shows a cabin assignment? I don't want to get too excited if it's likely to change.

12 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

Has anybody seen their cabin number change after the barcode trick shows a cabin assignment? I don't want to get too excited if it's likely to change.

It CAN happen but is extremely rare. Glad you're happy with your assignment!

• Like 1

I have used the barcode trick multiple times and it has always accurately predicted my actual cabin.  I did read a CC post within the last couple months from a poster who booked an inside gty thought the barcode trick predicted a balcony cabin and was assigned an inside.  I did not recognize the poster from other threads, so I have no opinion on the poster’s veracity or whether they did the trick properly.

I just scanned my barcode for my upcoming cruise on Anthem.  I have a gty balcony.  Currently assigned 13190.  It says obstructed but I wonder what they deem an obstruction for this stateroom.

I don't mind obstructed balconies nor do I mind being under a busy deck.

Edited by soremekun

22 minutes ago, soremekun said:

It says obstructed but I wonder what they deem an obstruction for this stateroom.

Don't recall anything on 13 being designated as such but the overhang and the struts to support the overhang can be an obstruction if trying to look up.

• Thanks 1

The barcode trick has worked for us the past 3 times. I can confirm after our upcoming 12/1 cruise on the Allure if it still holds true, but I believe it will be. From what I understand, it is extremely rare for it to change unless you placed a Royal Up bid of course.

4 hours ago, soremekun said:

I just scanned my barcode for my upcoming cruise on Anthem.  I have a gty balcony.  Currently assigned 13190.  It says obstructed but I wonder what they deem an obstruction for this stateroom.

I don't mind obstructed balconies nor do I mind being under a busy deck.

Here is a video 13194.  It appears to be a bar that supports the overhang.  No much of an obstruction.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Thanks 1