Shuttle options

Rangerblp

2 hours ago, Rangerblp said:

I keep seeing shuttle options but they are $100 round trip for two people from FLL to the port of miami. Are there any better options? 

If you mean $100 total for 2 people round trip that isn't bad at $25 pp each way.  An uber is going to be $40-$50 each way plus tip.  Coming back into the port of Miami and going to FLL, It took about 30 minutes for an uber to accept and then show up.  Most uber's at the port of Miami only want to take fares to MIA rather than having to do a 30-45 minute trip back in traffic once they drop you off.

We saw an Uber arrive for pickup at FLL airport.  Small car.  3 passengers with luggage. Was quite interesting watching the loading.  Trunk naturally wouldnt close. One passenger ended up having a suitcase on her lap.   Not sure if you can request a full sized vehicle

18 minutes ago, Rangerblp said:

FLL to port of miami

If you were to get an Uber, at this minute, from Ft Lauderdale to Miami the cost of an Uber X (a normal car) is $40.99.  A larger car (Uber XL) would be $64.70.  The thing to understand about Uber is that the pricing is always changing (surge pricing).  

Having lived in that part of Florida, and also having embarked/disembarked on more than hundred cruises from those two ports, we have our own strategy.  We generally arrive in the area the afternoon before embarkation and choose our hotel based on where we plan on having dinner :).  Our normal "go to" restaurant is Kellys Landing, which is a no-reservations popular seafood place (think Maine Lobster, terrific lobster rolls, great chowder, etc).  This is very convenient to the popular Embassy Suites (17th Street) which is a hotel badly in need of an upgrade to its rooms.  

For us, getting from airport to hotel and hotel to port (either Port Everglades or Port of Miami) is on us.  Some hotels do have free shuttles (from the airport) but they are not usually where we choose to stay.  We have also had plenty of lousy experiences with free shuttles (to hotels and to the ports) in terms of waiting, crowding, making multiple stops, etc.   From the airports we will often grab a taxi because it is convenient and fast.  From hotel to port (either port) we generally use Uber/Lyft.  Even when our hotel has a shuttle we still prefer Uber just to avoid the hassles with hotel shuttles.  Also keep in mind that a shuttle to the port may stop at several ships before you get to your destination.

Folks need to sometimes make a decision whether to "go cheap" or "go convenient."  

I should add that the hotel prices in Lauderdale and Miami have become somewhat ridiculous, but that is the nature of our current economy.  Hotels that used to cost about $120 now can get over $300 (especially during the popular cruise/tourist season).   There are less costly options (especially close to the airports) where you might need to get an Uber or taxi to get to a decent restaurant for dinner.  No right or wrong with these options, just a matter of your preferences and budget.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

that really depends. We were there in April, and uber from POM to FLL was more than $120 each way (3 of us). Must have been "peak time".

I just received 2 quotes for transfers from FLL airport to downtown Miami on Sun March 10/24 @ 4pm. The 2 quotes for 1 way only were $140 & $160.

Do not have Uber or Lyft so wondering what a taxi would cost ? Taxi Fare Finder said between $70 & $85

1 hour ago, D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL said:

I just received 2 quotes for transfers from FLL airport to downtown Miami on Sun March 10/24 @ 4pm. The 2 quotes for 1 way only were $140 & $160.

Do not have Uber or Lyft so wondering what a taxi would cost ? Taxi Fare Finder said between $70 & $85

What do you mean you don't have Uber or Lyft?? Its an app on your phone..easy to get.

4 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

What do you mean you don't have Uber or Lyft?? Its an app on your phone..easy to get.

I have never used the app and I do not have data on my phone just use wifi. As a result May have issues contacting Uber/Lyft drivers.

Also concerned as a few other posts have mentioned difficulty tracking down their driver

Hlitner - have you had any issues with getting taxi from FLL airport to hotel (like them being able to find the right one)?  We are staying at Hyatt Place COnvention Center and do not want to be taken to the one in Dania Beach for example.  

Edited by DaveOKC

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Hlitner - have you had any issues with getting taxi from FLL airport to hotel (like them being able to find the right one)?  We are staying at Hyatt Place COnvention Center and do not want to be taken to the one in Dania Beach for example.  

I’m not @Hlitner but if you give the taxi driver the name and address (if need be) you should have no problem.  If you want to give him/her even more information, say “the one next to the Harbor Shops (a major strip mall).

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

In other words, "have been takien for a ride" by a south Fl taxi.  Over the years a couple have tried, but since we used to live in the area (Plantation) we are well aware of the proper routes :).  But, I do have a simple piece of advice for folks that use taxis anywhere in the world (including south FL).  Before you even get to your taxi, put your destination into one of your phone apps such as googlemaps or Apple maps.  You can than follow along and get a good idea if your driver is "taking you for a ride."  Just keep in mind that traffic in south Florida does sometimes mean a slightly different route might be faster....so give the driver a little slack :).

Another thing about south Florida hotels  Since there are lots of hotels with similar names, we generally give the driver the name of the hotel and the street (i.e. Embassy Suites on 17th St).  

Hank

On 11/15/2023 at 7:58 PM, D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL said:

I have never used the app and I do not have data on my phone just use wifi. As a result May have issues contacting Uber/Lyft drivers.

Also concerned as a few other posts have mentioned difficulty tracking down their driver

Of course you know that the terminal in FLL offers free wifi. 

To familiarize yourself with an Uber app, many actually use it from their home to go to the grocery store or doctor and back.  Not always the cheapest, but it's about learning how it works.

Is there a shuttle that runs from Port Everglades to the Fort Lauderdale Airport when you disembark - say on a regular loop or do I need to book one?   Similar question for airport to pre cruise hotel.  Haven't flown for a cruise to Port Everglades since 2009 and cannot remember how we got back to airport from the port.  Not interested in Uber or Lyft.  Any info is appreciated.

40 minutes ago, GibbysMom said:

Is there a shuttle that runs from Port Everglades to the Fort Lauderdale Airport when you disembark - say on a regular loop or do I need to book one?   Similar question for airport to pre cruise hotel.  Haven't flown for a cruise to Port Everglades since 2009 and cannot remember how we got back to airport from the port.  Not interested in Uber or Lyft.  Any info is appreciated.

If you don't want uber or lyft, you can book through the ship or you can take a taxi.

8 hours ago, GibbysMom said:

Taxi - easy to find and normally readily avialable.  Just paid $13 a couple of weeks ago.