Silver Moon sailing January 6

gypsyjennifer1

It seems that certain people on CC enjoy to create uncertainty and anxiety amongst (future) passengers. Please discontinue to do this as you are not fully informed about the actual/future situation and not in charge of decision-making. We trust that cruise companies are monitoring the developments in the Middle East and that they will make conscious and wise decisions. 

I respectively disagree BuenaVista, and appreciate everyone’s thoughts and updates. Keep them coming please.  I have a Regent cruise in that area in March/April, so very interested in what Silversea is doing.  I truly appreciate all the anxiety that Moon guests are currently feeling.  My uneasiness is already beginning to build.  But it’s forums like this one that are so important for us to stay updated, exchange ideas — and hopefully reduce the stress just a little by having a more complete understanding of the situation on board.  

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Marylebone37 said:

I respectively disagree BuenaVista, and appreciate everyone’s thoughts and updates. Keep them coming please.  I have a Regent cruise in that area in March/April, so very interested in what Silversea is doing.  I truly appreciate all the anxiety that Moon guests are currently feeling.  My uneasiness is already beginning to build.  But it’s forums like this one that are so important for us to stay updated, exchange ideas — and hopefully reduce the stress just a little by having a more complete understanding of the situation on board.  

Very well said! 

• Like 2

I agree well said.  We were on the Jan 16th cruise and now on the 26th sailing of the Moon.  We understand the political situation and uncertain issues in the region.  Without the invaluable information posted we would not have been aware of the upcoming changes/cancellations until much later.  We only ask SS communicates sooner than later as this is a very special occasion and would like to make  arrangements for a different trip if they cancel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuenaVista1 said:

It seems that certain people on CC enjoy to create uncertainty and anxiety amongst (future) passengers. Please discontinue to do this as you are not fully informed about the actual/future situation and not in charge of decision-making. We trust that cruise companies are monitoring the developments in the Middle East and that they will make conscious and wise decisions. 

No one is fully informed, not even the Captain.  I started this feed way back to be honest and yes agree some people are just stirring too much, but SS has kept us in the dark for so long.  I am on the Moon right now.  yesterday we were sailing back to aqaba and this morning we woke to sailing to Athens.  it's absolutely crazy.  I contacted SS months ago about this sailing questioning security when other cruise companies cancelled and I was assured sailings as normal - went thru expenses to get to Jordan etc because I had no other option as SS were not giving me a refund even when I heard other passengers were.  SS has not been good with communication, even on the ship, so of course there are speculations, all future and present passengers are in limbo. speculation on board with comments from officers is that Silver  Moon willl reposition around the Cape.  we are now anchored and waiting to go thru Suez Canal tomorrow morning.  Staff has been amazing, service as always is great.  Most passengers on board are trying to be positive and staff seem to be elated we have turned around. Champagne is plentiful 🙂

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Really appreciate the updates.  Your posting helped tremendously.   I spoke with a rep from SS this morning and she told me Jan 26th is canceled and information will go to customers with options on Monday. Thanks to all for the great posts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

I think Silversea has not exactly been as clear, timely and upfront in sharing what they knew as to the uncertainties with these various schedules and serious challenges.  Waiting and waiting for Silversea to make decisions has been very frustrating.   To be totally honest and fair, however, these are highly unusual times and situations. Silversea and other cruise lines are facing extremely and highly-unique difficulty for guessing and predicting what happens next.  

While it is true that global situations can change rapidly, in my opinion Silversea's dithering on this is inexcusable.  Many passengers questioned the wisdom of the plan to continue this itinerary and every other cruise line altered their itineraries some time ago.   

At the very least, either when the conflicts began or when Silversea elected to continue with this itinerary (believe that early December was passengers' last opportunity to opt out?), senior management should have done some scenario planning and mapped out alternatives for ship movement/routing and potential substitute ports so they would be in a better position to nimbly alter plans and communicate the changes to passengers.     

While they may not have been able to predict the specific instances that would occur, they certainly could have laid out internally logical IF/THEN scenarios.  And the default decision should always be safety of passengers and crew first, security of multi-million-dollar assets (the ship) next, with short-term loss of revenue lower on the hierarchy of priorities.  

• Like 2

Gypsyjennifer1:  Please let me add my own personal thanks to those of others. I have been fascinated by this story and would not have learned much without your thoughtful postings.  I am truly sorry for your disappointments with this cruise as well as anxiety over the dangerous situation in the Middle East.  You do have our appreciation for your efforts as a Star Reporter!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, LcruiCruise1963 said:

Really appreciate the updates.  Your posting helped tremendously.   I spoke with a rep from SS this morning and she told me Jan 26th is canceled and information will go to customers with options on Monday. Thanks to all for the great posts.

I spoke to someone from SilverSeas UK this morning and they said no cancellation at the moment. I understand it is a difficult decision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tv24 said:

Gypsyjennifer1:  Please let me add my own personal thanks to those of others. I have been fascinated by this story and would not have learned much without your thoughtful postings.  I am truly sorry for your disappointments with this cruise as well as anxiety over the dangerous situation in the Middle East.  You do have our appreciation for your efforts as a Star Reporter!

❤️

7 minutes ago, gypsyjennifer1 said:

Terry u need to stop all your so called helpful posts 

But thank you. Just simple

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gypsyjennifer1 said:

❤️

But thank you. Just simple

Too much choc extravaganza n champagne. But all good n appreciate your posts   I am actually excited to go thru Suez Canal as I did this as a 6 year old in a totally different world. 

• Like 2

My thoughts go forward to Moon pax. Having experienced disrupted cruises ( pirates, entangled prop) w daily uncertainties and rolling itinerary changes,   I recall how pre occupying and anxiety making this can be.  

i am not certain what lies ahead for Spirit. We board in Capetown on Feb 11. No geography scholar, I recognize that we are not coming from the Red Sea but we are sailing Muscat

to Dubai. Concerns appear in the above posts. Does anyone have news or thoughts 

about this? 
Well wishes to all onboard Moon..and all ships.

Paula,

I’m on the late Feb Mahe to Dubai leg… which has its second port at Muscat 

When this issue first started I was told reroute to finish in India was possible. TBH I’m not sure how feasible that is in terms of the future cruises after this point. 

The other rumour I have heard is that Moon and Spirit may “swap” itinerary 

I can’t see them canceling the leg, just a huge reroute at this point. Perhaps Plan B is already in place ready for implementation if needed.

I find this thread interesting as we are scheduled on Whisper in March Mumbai to Athens. They already cancelled the 2 stops in Egypt and added overnights in Jeddah and Aqaba. I am concerned about whether this cruise will stop at these 2 ports and one port in Oman (Salalah). My ta inquired. No decision. I share everyone’s frustration 

Mrs Waldo,

We also are on the Mahe-Dubai segment. After reading the above posts, I doubt that swapping 

itineraries w Moon  is likely as it sounds as though Moon is canceling at least one cruise

and perhaps others. The region is an unclear mess and seems murkier by the day.I didn’t hear anything about India but would be happy to visit there. I hope that we are not cancelled.  I suspect that we might not have any clarification for a while.Paula

We had notification this morning, our Doha to Muscat cruise starting 1st Feb is cancelled. Same, 20 percent off a cruise booked this year.

Edited by fudge

Cruising Kirby - yes a full refund and 20% off a future cruise - here is the email I received. I’m curious if anyone else received the same email?

14 hours ago, wyocruiser said:

We hope this letter finds you well. Today, we are writing with important news regarding your 26 January 2024 voyage aboard Silver Moon. 

Due to the fluid geopolitical situation in the region that has most recently escalated after military action and under advisement from our Global Security team, we have had to make the difficult decision to cancel your voyage departing from Dubai on 26 January. We sincerely regret this disruption to your travel plans and assure you this decision was made after thorough consideration and prioritising, as always, the safety and security of our guests and crew. 

In light of this news, we would like to offer:

A refund of the full cruise fare paid, including any flight cancellation costs and fees*

A saving of 20% on any published 2024 sailingof your choice excluding World Cruise and Grand Voyages.

*For guests with independent air arrangements, Silversea will reimburse reasonable out-of-pocket costs for any change, cancellation, or differential air travel fees. To request a reimbursement, guests should email receipts to GuestRelations@silversea.com. Refunds and claims will be reviewed and processed within 30 days of receipt. 

Note: If a prior FCC was applied to your booking, it would be reinstated to your guest profile with the previous amount. 

IMPORTANT: If you booked your Silversea cruise as part of a package with a Tour Operator or Travel Agency, please refer to them for the full terms and conditions of your overall package and any elements other than the cruise. 

Thank you for understanding the circumstances beyond our control that necessitated the cancellation of your voyage. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact your travel advisor or cruise consultant or reach out to Resolutionsdesk@silversea.com 

We sincerely hope to welcome you aboard another Silversea voyage exploring our planet's authentic beauty in whispered Italian luxury and all-inclusive comfort. 

Best personal regards, 
Silversea 
Terms & Conditions Apply.

Just now, wyocruiser said:

Cruising Kirby - yes a full refund and 20% off a future cruise - here is the email I received. I’m curious if anyone else received the same email?

I did today, exactly the same, we were sailing Doha/Muscat departing 1st Feb