Anyone in a Sky Suite thinking to go down a level?

zitsky

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I DID buy a real suite.

Do you enjoy paying for your meal at McDonald’s when you’re told “Psych!  You’re not really getting that hamburger”.

Oh, do you expect to get what you ALREADY paid for?  My bad.  🙄

The Elite have spoken. It’s your own fault for not booking an Iconic Suite. 

Peace to all. 

• Haha 6

28 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I DID buy a real suite.

Do you enjoy paying for your meal at McDonald’s when you’re told “Psych!  You’re not really getting that hamburger”.

Oh, do you expect to get what you ALREADY paid for?  My bad.  🙄

I don't go to McDonald's.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The Elite have spoken. It’s your own fault for not booking an Iconic Suite. 

Peace to all. 

By the measures presented from so many here, you would appear correct.

Iconic Suite = expectations met

Sky Suite = expectations will knowingly not be met (or at least not as they once were)

Realizing this going in, alas, one would seem only to have themselves to blame.

You are correct, RichYak.

Bunco Squad reporting for duty.

Edited by buncosquad

I do not think I would quiet as upset as I am about this except for two things:

1.  Celebrity did not pay me the courtesy of informing me that it has changed.  I had to find out here.

2.  When contacted Celebrity said that the service would be the same or better, which it clearly is not. 

2 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

I would agree except for one thing - I was not offered the opportunity to cancel or change my booking without penalty.   

On our sailing the only remaining suite is the Penthouse Suite and it currently is selling for a person price equal to twice the total that I paid for our Aqua Sky Class Suite. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

1.  Celebrity did not pay me the courtesy of informing me that it has changed.  I had to find out here.

2.  When contacted Celebrity said that the service would be the same or better, which it clearly is not. 

I would agree except for one thing - I was not offered the opportunity to cancel or change my booking without penalty.   

On our sailing the only remaining suite is the Penthouse Suite and it currently is selling for a person price equal to twice the total that I paid for our Aqua Sky Class Suite. 

Exactly this…the not informing passengers is bad enough but the standard, scripted reply about it being a better experience, blah, blah, blah is not only ridiculous it’s a complete lie…

• Like 3

After being on Ascent for the last six days, both in and out of a Sky suite, here’s what I think…

I see no reason to ever book a suite again, at least on E class. We have a MC sky suite booked on Edge in May. We will keep it only because we got a great deal and has all the AI inclusions of days gone by, which we’d lose if we downgraded. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

And all this could have been avoided if they just said.  "With sailings starting Jan 1, 2024 the following changes will be in effect."   Or whatever start date they wanted at least 90 days out so people had the choice to cancel if they wished.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, buncosquad said:

By the measures presented from so many here, you would appear correct.

Iconic Suite = expectations met

Sky Suite = expectations will knowingly not be met (or at least not as they once were)

You are correct, RichYak.

Bunco Squad reporting for duty.

I have to admit, while maybe not so diplomatic in your approach, you make some great points. 

DH and I are in our Sky room right now viewing the ocean through the expansive bank of windows while propped up against pillows on our forward facing bed. There’s no way I’d pay 10x more to do this in an iconic suite but have no ire whatsoever towards those who do. 

Service on the Retreat Sun deck yesterday was lacking for everyone…not just us SS dwellers. Were I in one of those true suites yesterday, I’d be very disappointed. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

After being on Ascent for the last six days, both in and out of a Sky suite, here’s what I think…

I see no reason to ever book a suite again, at least on E class. We have a MC sky suite booked on Edge in May. We will keep it only because we got a great deal and has all the AI inclusions of days gone by, which we’d lose if we downgraded. 

This seems to be the consensus experience of those that have been in SS and non-Retreat on Edge class.  While not evident from the reports (and they can speak for themselves), the lack of included OBC (to cover self obtained basics, like food to make up for sundeck delays), included gratuities, declining or sparse service in Retreat areas, including the lack of the butler, frazzled room attendant, etc, do not help matters.  If food were to decline in the MDR and be offset by Luminae or included speciality dining (whether included or with OBC), then maybe there's a case to be made.  So, with that said, it is Luminae, and a few extra square feet in a room and balcony that are the hard differences.  

To those staying in the so called upper suites, I'm hard pressed to see the value unless you were to get dedicated service throughout the ship, including the Retreat sundeck, truly reserved seats at shows you are able to get to, Luminae with USDA prime cuts, etc or not pay the current high rates.  The butler would really need to be with you outside the room envelope and the tethered phone to get the value, in my view.  I'd be demanding a mobile like they have to get service on demand for 20k / 2k + per day, or more and up.  (The 20k is a stab at the low end from old bookings). 

The SS cutbacks and that Retreat experience, in my view also calls into  question the entire Retreat pricing structure vs services.  They don't drive me to the bigger room and the faux amenities. 

The CS has a barely separate sleeping area (and still same room service breakfast), and the upper suites are a lot of space, yet still at the mercy of the staffing levels, and quality of food and such of the rest of the ship.  In other words on a port day, one can go to shore and dine at beach club x / local watering hole, wait it out on the Retreat Deck with the SS passenger, or perhaps hang in the room and maybe get higher quality room service based on the butler.  That seems close to the same as the SS customer with the exception of a dedicated food runner.  Unlimited specialities like rooftop grill or fine cut at night isn't enough to make up for waiting an hour or more for a 5 item lunch menu, waiting for drinks, or having to go to OVC for ice cream or anything else that is the same for everyone.  Those other venues are open to anyone, and the cost has been covered by the included OBC (for the night one needed a change from Luminae) or incrementally is not a lot.  

Of course, if one likes it, then great; and if it was offered, a good deal, etc. more space and marginally more services  is a plus.  Convenience is an important part of a vacation.  And, so there no reason anyone shouldn't do a suite if they want one, but it's hard to fathom it being demonstrably better in every way that it would need to be to make up for general shortcomings anyone can experience, or, more positively said, the elevated mass experience of the rest of the ship, including Retreat.  The caveat being I'm of the mind that one should expect the same degree of service and quality when a certain level is purchased as advertised, like the Retreat and not that larger rooms or higher cost rooms should get better service.  No one wants to wait in line, be caught in a jam for lunch, sit in the last row, have to search for morning coffee, etc. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 6

Has been interesting hearing the different experiences and thoughts. We have discussed moving outside of the Retreat, but we may likely try a different line as we've only cruised RC and X. Though, that won't be until sometime 2025 as we are booked in SS All Inclusive for 2024. While we may/likely miss the dedicated butler service (previously have had very good experiences to the point of continuing to stay in contact with him) and service in the Retreat lounge/sundeck (especially on E-class for sundeck pool/bar), and Luminae, a tipping point for us as been the removal of gratuities and OBC while not adjusting the price accordingly.   

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Service on the Retreat Sun deck yesterday was lacking for everyone…not just us SS dwellers. Were I in one of those true suites yesterday, I’d be very disappointed. 

Once you peel away the visual layers, you're STILL on a mass market cruise ship with bare bones mass market cruise ship quality staff. E-class ships only serve to magnify the issue as they have SO MANY Retreat cabins, too many really.

• Like 6

PS to my post above, it's @JDPCruisers comment about the out years that makes sense, too. The lack of real benefits or connection that makes the SS or Retreat something that's a room play at this point.  Couples especially have other choices for elevated experiences as compared to families that are left with the other ships within a ship, and DCL.  Royal at 7k people, and just as messed up or or worse suite ship within a ship experiences (when it's even available), doesn't compare, in my view.  

And, now counter to everything, a lot of what we're talking about is ease of access and value (and even some places where marginally improvements could make a big difference).  But, price out a resort, and factor in some of the inconveniences and variable weather that can't be steered around, etc. and a cruise can still appear to be a good overall experience.

At various south Florida Ritz Carlton resorts for a basic room (SS equivalent) over the holiday break are at best $750 / night (most are over 1k a night) with breakfast and small credit, not enough to cover or including cost of drinks, lunch, dinner, entertainment, lobby shop for snacks, rental car, etc.  No butler, no included room service (or just a flat delivery fee) and find your own coffee or in room Nespresso, mini bar costs, and other costs.  Probably wouldn't wait an extraordinary amount of time for lunch, and may not run into a 2 hour window to have it in or pivot to a backup.  All food would be cooked to order, and not just based on venue or a special request. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

And all this could have been avoided if they just said.  "With sailings starting Jan 1, 2024 the following changes will be in effect."   Or whatever start date they wanted at least 90 days out so people had the choice to cancel if they wished.

That is exactly what I am saying.  I would not be as put off had they came out and said something ahead of time.  I am not cancelling the cruise in any case as it is something we have tried to do for three years (13 day, Best of Japan) and as it stands right now, it is the only Celebrity cruise we have booked. 

50 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

a tipping point for us as been the removal of gratuities and OBC while not adjusting the price accordingly.   

Well said.  Prices for Suites have not been adjusted to reflect this change and that is why, unless I am over ruled by the DW, who really loves Luminae, I will not be booking a SS on Celebrity again. 

To add to what @Cap_D said about land based vacations, we just did an 8-day vacation on Waikiki and it cost almost the same as the current price for one person in a Sky Suite on Summit for an 8-day Ft Lauderdale to San Juan cruise.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

PS to my post above, it's @JDPCruisers comment about the out years that makes sense, too. The lack of real benefits or connection that makes the SS or Retreat something that's a room play at this point.  Couples especially have other choices for elevated experiences as compared to families that are left with the other ships within a ship, and DCL.  Royal at 7k people, and just as messed up or or worse suite ship within a ship experiences (when it's even available), doesn't compare, in my view.  

And, now counter to everything, a lot of what we're talking about is ease of access and value (and even some places where marginally improvements could make a big difference).  But, price out a resort, and factor in some of the inconveniences and variable weather that can't be steered around, etc. and a cruise can still appear to be a good overall experience.

At various south Florida Ritz Carlton resorts for a basic room (SS equivalent) over the holiday break are at best $750 / night (most are over 1k a night) with breakfast and small credit, not enough to cover or including cost of drinks, lunch, dinner, entertainment, lobby shop for snacks, rental car, etc.  No butler, no included room service (or just a flat delivery fee) and find your own coffee or in room Nespresso, mini bar costs, and other costs.  Probably wouldn't wait an extraordinary amount of time for lunch, and may not run into a 2 hour window to have it in or pivot to a backup.  All food would be cooked to order, and not just based on venue or a special request. 

Ditto @DaKahuna My hotel price example is based on a large online travel agent network.  Not big box store or direct from Marriott/Ritz.   Dates and such may impact the amount.  But, one point is something nice on land with hundreds or a thousand others (maybe not 3k) gets close to the SS price per day, once dining out is factored in and other expenses, and one still has to line up at Starbucks or obtain lounge access for coffee, find a reservation, and so on.  The items Celebrity took away coupled with advance booking with fickle offerings, inherent limitations to menus and other quirks of what is available, makes it easier to consider the land stuff (that can be booked the day of or weeks out, not months/years) or the non-Retreat.* *Presumes OVC and MDR not gutted (again), and that they are on the upswing.   If not.... That's a different thread.... or time.  Have to work today.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Has been interesting hearing the different experiences and thoughts. We have discussed moving outside of the Retreat, but we may likely try a different line as we've only cruised RC and X. Though, that won't be until sometime 2025 as we are booked in SS All Inclusive for 2024. While we may/likely miss the dedicated butler service (previously have had very good experiences to the point of continuing to stay in contact with him) and service in the Retreat lounge/sundeck (especially on E-class for sundeck pool/bar), and Luminae, a tipping point for us as been the removal of gratuities and OBC while not adjusting the price accordingly.   

It’s not a zero sum game with pricing. 

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What do you mean by that?

Just because the OBC and Grats were eliminated doesnt mean that the actual cruise fare will go down to offset the effective price increase   It is essentially  a price increase by any other name 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I have to admit, while maybe not so diplomatic in your approach, you make some great points. 

DH and I are in our Sky room right now viewing the ocean through the expansive bank of windows while propped up against pillows on our forward facing bed. There’s no way I’d pay 10x more to do this in an iconic suite but have no ire whatsoever towards those who do. 

Very kind, Georgia. Sad to read of your experience. 

At the end of the day, Celebrity (and much of our world) has moved on. The good old whatever it was is no more.

Celebrity is not my only go to when sailing, but when I do, I book only the new ships and only IC and EV. I do so in part for the reasons you and so many others have stated; namely,  degraded service in various areas, crowded public spaces, and reduced (or non existent) inclusions in anything but the top suites.

Plus, I do want a hot tub on the balcony, so only these two options work for me.

Having said this, the South Pacific just opened up hours ago. That 20-night Transpacific (Tahitian Treasures) was calling me.

Bunco Squad, over and out.

Edited by buncosquad
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

You may call it childish but I plan to be “that guy”.  I work in what I still consider customer service at 57.  So I really do try to be nice to people that help me.  But I don’t like how X has managed this.  So I plan to pester them when they don’t deliver what is promised.

Who do you plan to ‘pester’?  If you are suggesting asking for a meeting with the Hotel Director to explain your concerns and disappointment then I think this is a great idea. The more guests who politely but firmly express they feel ‘short changed’ to those in a position to make changes or report back to corporate the better.

However, I think the hosts/room attendants and concierge staff are having a rubbish time as it is at the moment the last thing in the world they need is a guest demanding services they have been instructed not to provide…

Edited by chemmo

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

Once you peel away the visual layers, you're STILL on a mass market cruise ship with bare bones mass market cruise ship quality staff. E-class ships only serve to magnify the issue as they have SO MANY Retreat cabins, too many really.

Well said!

That's how greed works! Now everyone is special!  And some can become special just by purchasing the "jump the line" day pass!

Too many suites has led to overcrowded  priority boarding areas without enough seats, no snacks .(BEYOND)   Then at the end of the cruise,  we were all  stuffed into the priority disembark area too! ( BEYOND)

Overcrowding at the outdoor Retreat area.. Slow lunch and drink service! (BEYOND)

Lack of sufficient wait staff in Luminae,  SLOW kitchen,  undercooked food , slimy shrimp, bread shortages at times.

Overcrowding at special events,   

We sailed in  a  SS BEFORE the butlers were cut...and used up our  fccs for payment   but do not see value in us booking one again .

Much better value for us booking AQ Class, Concierge Class or Sunset Veranda.

We'll see if "new blood" starts booking Retreat as  many experienced suite cruisers  move out!

• Like 1