Panama Canal through the older orginal locks - Atlantic to Pacific

Volcanomom

Which side of the ship would be a better view during the actual lock transits for a balcony stateroom.  We will be using the original locks (smaller ship - NCL Sun) We do plan to move about the ship, but would like the best "home-base" when we are observing from our balcony.  Many thanks!

The side doesn't matter. You want to be all around the ship most of the time...on the bow for a lock or two, on the Promenade deck for a lock or two, perhaps on the stern for a lock.

This is discussed frequently on the Panama Canal board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/54-panama-canal/

• Like 3

We are booked on our fifth Panama Canal cruise in December. It was meant to be a Christmas cruise with friends, but due to a health emergency, they won’t be on board. Our previous two Panama Canal cruises were also meant to be with the same friends, who are evidently not meant to go through the canal, since they had to cancel both of those two as well. Our most recent trip prior to this was in March of 2020, and the Panama Canal authorities didn’t even want us to be on the outside decks as we went through, since they were worried that we would spread Covid as we went through! (although there was no Covid on our ship, luckily) At least this time, we will be able to be on the decks and balconies, fore and aft. Fingers crossed, anyway. 

It doesn't matter too much.  First of all, there will be some people who come aboard to explain the entire process.  You will likely be up on deck watching, so you can see all around, and there is stuff to see all around, particularly as you approach the canal, there will be ships all over the horizon waiting their turn.  There is even a semi-sunken ship off to the right before you go into the locks, unless they have finally removed that old hulk.  We watched the initial part from far forward, way up on the top deck, and it is fascinating.  There is a road on the first set of chamber doors that take the highway from one side of the canal to the other, and there is a significant amount of traffic that goes across when the chamber doors are closed. Then you will work your way through the first set of locks, and there are "mules," actually electric locomotives, on both sides holding the ship in the center of the lock, and they travel alongside as you go through.  You might want to go do to a lower deck and watch that almost at eye-level at some point.

The explanation of how the whole system works is also fascinating, and you should make sure you attend that.

• Thanks 1

you can also turn on the cabin tv and put it the bridge channel.  You can lay in bed, watching the entire transit on your tv.  Breakfast on a balcony while going the the locks is really quite nice.  Just a tip, bring mosquito repellant.  It will be humid.

There is no preferred side, and as mentioned you will likely be outside for a good part of the day, so you can go anywhere on the ship as the situation would arise.  The most interesting part IMO is transiting the old locks.  We did so on Jewel of the Seas a number of years ago and at the time, she was a Panamax ship with only a few feet of side to side clearance.  We were on the starboard promenade deck at the time and were able to reach out and touch the side of the lock(s) when we were in them.  

Your balcony will also provide an excellent vantage point for your transit.

As others noted, there is no better side of the ship to transit the locks, as each lock has 2 lanes and assignment is based on operational requirements. Even on the Bridge you don't know until approaching the locks and you see the direction of the arrow.

With well over a couple dozen transits, by far the best location on the ship is the Bridge. Since it isn't available to most pax, the next best spot is any unobstructed fwd open deck. It is also important to stroll the Prom Deck to get a perspective how close the ship is to the lock walls and also to watch the stern gates open/close.

On all our transits as a pax, I don't believe we have ever used the balcony during a transit.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Volcanomom said:

Which side of the ship would be a better view during the actual lock transits for a balcony stateroom.  We will be using the original locks (smaller ship - NCL Sun) We do plan to move about the ship, but would like the best "home-base" when we are observing from our balcony.  Many thanks!

If you want to use the balcony you have paid for, in the canal, you want the port side.

image.thumb.png.47d28749da36f7b515f36a7eb7f0f933.png

The starboard is toward the south/southwest and the unrelenting sun. Ask me how I know.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Volcanomom said:

The best side of the ship to watch the Panama Canal transit is the OUTside.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I think the two Bruces have given perfect advice and I have no quarrel with all the other advice. but I will suggest my preferred side.  If you have a choice, choose the port side while transiting from Atlantic to Pacific.  This does not mean the starboard side is a wasteland and there is nothing worth viewing, it is all great and scenery is all around.  Here are a few of my reasons... most of the built up areas you will pass such as the harbor of Cristobal with Colon in the backdrop, Gamboa where the Dredging Division has much of their fleet moored, Gold Hill which was a very prominent and difficult section of the Gaillard Cut to dig and the skyline of Panama City as you exit the Canal can all be viewed from the port side.  One other plug for the port side, when you are crossing Gatun Lake, that is the best time to view on coming ship traffic and you may get a glimpse at the first transcontinental railroad in the background speeding across the continent!  Nice to see if you are taking a break on your balcony.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

They usually are done in the Canal before sunset...I would think you would be at dinner around sunset.

The canal transit is one day. I'm talking about all the other days after you get through. Port side is the best place for sunsets once you are through the canal and heading north.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 5:48 PM, 9tee2Sea said:

Just a tip, bring mosquito repellant.

We brought mosquito repellant on all four of our Panama Canal transits.  Never saw a single mosquito.  (Was more important to have the stuff for certain shore excursions, but even then, no mosquitoes, most likely because we were not ashore at dawn or dusk.) 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We brought mosquito repellant on all four of our Panama Canal transits.  Never saw a single mosquito.  (Was more important to have the stuff for certain shore excursions, but even then, no mosquitoes, most likely because we were not ashore at dawn or dusk.) 

Same here...in 4 full, and one partial transit. Common experience seems to be there isn't a mosquito threat unless you get out into the jungle.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2023 at 8:54 PM, crystalspin said:

If you want to use the balcony you have paid for, in the canal, you want the port side.

image.thumb.png.47d28749da36f7b515f36a7eb7f0f933.png

The starboard is toward the south/southwest and the unrelenting sun. Ask me how I know.

Arrrgh.... We booked a starboard side cabin.  Wish I had researched this thread before booking.   

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Arrrgh.... We booked a starboard side cabin.  Wish I had researched this thread before booking.   

See if you can change without penalty?

ETA: Or make the best of it and roam the ship when it gets uncomfortable on the balcony. Coming from the Atlantic side, the starboard side WILL get to see the failed French effort, early during the day. My husband was interested in that, having read "Path Between the Seas".

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

See if you can change without penalty?

ETA: Or make the best of it and roam the ship when it gets uncomfortable on the balcony. Coming from the Atlantic side, the starboard side WILL get to see the failed French effort, early during the day. My husband was interested in that, having read "Path Between the Seas".

Thanks,  We have a nice "bump out" mini suite cabin that faces forward, which I really wanted, and there are none available on the port side.  Our cruise is not for awhile so I will continue to watch the website to see if one becomes available.

Edited by Smokeyham
  • Like 2

Yes keep checking specially around final payment time, a lot of cabins open up then.  Starboard side on a southbound is not the end of the world in any event,  I've been on the "wrong" side of the ship numerous times!  Enjoy!

• Like 1