Summer '24 prices

amurray88

Hello all!

This might not be P&O specific so feel free to delete. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on summer 2024 prices. I'm stuck with school holidays but I normally budget £50-80pppn (or around £120pppn inc. flights), at the moment it's hard to find any 7 night med cruises for under £100pppn.

Anyone got any thoughts on pricing and whether you think it'll come down or go up? I'm hoping maybe 3-4 months beforehand we might see some price drops!

59 minutes ago, david63 said:

I'm not sure but I thought that P&O announced a couple of weeks or so ago that prices will not drop in the future.

I think that was Princess, but they are both out of the same stable, so probably what Carnival are praying for.

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

Hello all!

This might not be P&O specific so feel free to delete. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on summer 2024 prices. I'm stuck with school holidays but I normally budget £50-80pppn (or around £120pppn inc. flights), at the moment it's hard to find any 7 night med cruises for under £100pppn.

Anyone got any thoughts on pricing and whether you think it'll come down or go up? I'm hoping maybe 3-4 months beforehand we might see some price drops!

Unfortunately you are stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place. The chances of prices dropping during school holidays are usually  far less than outside them, even with the capacity of the bigger ships and the current economic climate. Good luck whatever you decide, but I think you need a plan B.

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Unfortunately you are stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place. The chances of prices dropping during school holidays are usually  far less than outside them, even with the capacity of the bigger ships and the current economic climate. Good luck whatever you decide, but I think you need a plan B.

Might need to let the moths out the wallet soon!

• Haha 1

We are looking at a 14 night all inclusive hotel for June 2024 in Majorca. Not in the school holidays. Even a 3* Is working out at £110 a night for the room and that’s a bargain compared to somewhere equal to a cruise. I think we, personally, have to accept that we have to pay more now if we want to travel. We tend to book our cruises as far out as possible to get the best price although I have heard many people report getting a bargain by waiting until after final payment. However, in the school holidays I think you might not find it easy. I hope you find something suitable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandancer said:

We are looking at a 14 night all inclusive hotel for June 2024 in Majorca. Not in the school holidays. Even a 3* Is working out at £110 a night for the room and that’s a bargain compared to somewhere equal to a cruise. I think we, personally, have to accept that we have to pay more now if we want to travel. We tend to book our cruises as far out as possible to get the best price although I have heard many people report getting a bargain by waiting until after final payment. However, in the school holidays I think you might not find it easy. I hope you find something suitable. 

Completely agree ...I was thinking "man these cruises are expensive, best check out hotels".... Checked hotels and realised that I'm actually far better to stick with cruising 😂

• Like 2

I don't miss this lottery at all! Even if the prices do go down - and they might - you may find that cabins with extra berths are no longer available (even though you don't actually need the extra berth given your little one will be in a cot), or that they have reached the limit on the number of children in the relevant age group. We've fallen foul of both situations in the past, and to avoid that we tended to book as soon as the cruises launched. Not helpful for you right now I know...

You might get lucky with some of the cruises that tend to be less popular with families in the summer, that's where we had our best late booking successes as a family of 4. We got a ridiculously cheap late deal with Princess for a British Isles cruise (and it was brilliant) and we've had decent late deals for Baltic cruises with Princess and Norwegian Fjords with P&O too.

I agree you should have a Plan B!

11 minutes ago, CaptainPedantic said:

I don't miss this lottery at all! Even if the prices do go down - and they might - you may find that cabins with extra berths are no longer available (even though you don't actually need the extra berth given your little one will be in a cot), or that they have reached the limit on the number of children in the relevant age group. We've fallen foul of both situations in the past, and to avoid that we tended to book as soon as the cruises launched. Not helpful for you right now I know...

You might get lucky with some of the cruises that tend to be less popular with families in the summer, that's where we had our best late booking successes as a family of 4. We got a ridiculously cheap late deal with Princess for a British Isles cruise (and it was brilliant) and we've had decent late deals for Baltic cruises with Princess and Norwegian Fjords with P&O too.

I agree you should have a Plan B!

We're getting away in January so it's not the end of the world. Just miss my wee fix of Barcelona....and have never been to Croatia/Greece so was hoping to do either East or West Med but beggars can't be choosers!

I have said for a while that the present situation with some good late deals on some cruises will not last. As more people return to cruising and P&O’s drive to get more new cruisers on board these deals will go. A large % of new cruisers will return pushing up demand. Added to this is the point Sandancer makes about the prices of land holidays. Taking this all into consideration I can see cruises filling quickly and prices not falling.

• Like 2

I have seen some great late deals in the past (and am confident some will continue to exist) but I have been hit a few times with the computer says No, not for you as there are no spaces available for a child in that age group category. Families, or those needing accessible cabins, are definitely not as fortunate with the late low bargains deals.

• Like 1

The good people at Cruise Critic have twice recently sent me offers for upcoming cruises starting at £41.00 per night.  I assume most people reading this would have received them.

I can’t imagine how cheap the prices would be if P&O were not holding their pricing and all the new cruisers weren’t either rushing to book or returning in droves.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

The good people at Cruise Critic have twice recently sent me offers for upcoming cruises starting at £41.00 per night.  I assume most people reading this would have received them.

I can’t imagine how cheap the prices would be if P&O were not holding their pricing and all the new cruisers weren’t either rushing to book or returning in droves.

For the summer holidays? 😱

I have booked Royal Caribbean August 25 8 nights out if Southampton, promenade view cabin, 2 adults 3 children (17,15 & 12) £97 per night per person. I thought that was a good deal.

Same party June 2024 Puerto Pollensa, 7 nights AI £120 per night per person.

I do think the prices appear to be increasing but I believe there are some good deals out there 

Michelle

• Like 2

I tried to find a late deal for Aug this year and came to the conclusion they don't really exist in the school summer hols. If the extra berth cabins aren't sold out then they are crazy expensive. 

However I have seen some decent deals for Feb half term, not what I fancy as cold weather itineraries but good for some 

Edited by SquishTheWhale
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I have booked Royal Caribbean August 25 8 nights out if Southampton, promenade view cabin, 2 adults 3 children (17,15 & 12) £97 per night per person. I thought that was a good deal.

Same party June 2024 Puerto Pollensa, 7 nights AI £120 per night per person.

I do think the prices appear to be increasing but I believe there are some good deals out there 

Michelle

Wee bit late for Scottish school holidays but a good deal 👌

8 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I tried to find a late deal for Aug this year and came to the conclusion they don't really exist in the school summer hols. If the extra berth cabins aren't sold out then they are crazy expensive. 

However I have seen some decent deals for Feb half term, not what I fancy as cold weather itineraries but good for some 

Yeah, my only other time off is March/early April and I'm trying to decide whether to take the risk with the weather!

Easy to wait last minute if you have no kids but remember each ship will only take a certain amount of under 16s and won't budge once places gone. That leaves no flexibility for families and need to book early in school holidays. P&Os strategy post Covid was keep prices low and attract a new generation of cruisers and then slowly return to normal, pre covid prices. Even P&O was £100pppn before the pandemic and prices been crazy at times since.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sweep2907 said:

Easy to wait last minute if you have no kids but remember each ship will only take a certain amount of under 16s and won't budge once places gone. That leaves no flexibility for families and need to book early in school holidays. P&Os strategy post Covid was keep prices low and attract a new generation of cruisers and then slowly return to normal, pre covid prices. Even P&O was £100pppn before the pandemic and prices been crazy at times since.

This is exactly why I book so early if I know am taking the grandchildren. It seems too far away but it will come soon enough. People think I am mad to book so far ahead 

Michelle

• Like 6