No more surcharge for Porterhouse at Cagney's Steakhouse?

ready2cruzagain

The only upcharge in Cagney's is Surf & Turf

image.thumb.png.542a072f07b276997743a9fc37499b7f.png

But it is interesting to read the menu critically.

It mentions specifically "Dining Package".   Does that actually mean that they don't charge it if you are using the "Latitudes Voucher"?

It is also damn stupid.   They charge $25 for it to take the "free" price down to $30 BUT still allow Porterhouse at $47 and Lamb Chops at $43.

Logic would have a $40 "free" limit on all items.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

It mentions specifically "Dining Package".   Does that actually mean that they don't charge it if you are using the "Latitudes Voucher"?

It is also damn stupid.   They charge $25 for it to take the "free" price down to $30 BUT still allow Porterhouse at $47 and Lamb Chops at $43.

You would have to know things like the food cost of the various items and other factors that go into their pricing decisions to make that judgement accurately.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Almost all supplement items are on dishes that include lobster.  I would bet the decision is being made based on the margins on lobster items being lower.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I will ever try the porterhouse again even if they give it away for free. The last two I've had (Encore & Spirit) were horrible! Funny thing is the filet I had two nights later at Onda on the Spirit was one of the best steaks I've ever had. Go figure?

nice if this is true now.  I was looking at the sample menu before my cruise on the Pearl in August and had decided on the porterhouse when I saw it no longer had the supplement.  Unfortunately, when I got there, the menu at the restaurant still had the supplement on it.  I stuffed my face with the prime rib instead

5 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

I don't think I will ever try the porterhouse again even if they give it away for free. The last two I've had (Encore & Spirit) were horrible! Funny thing is the filet I had two nights later at Onda on the Spirit was one of the best steaks I've ever had. Go figure?

I’m with you. The one I had on the Jewel was one of the most chewy steaks I’ve ever had. 

6 hours ago, TheDawg79 said:

I’m with you. The one I had on the Jewel was one of the most chewy steaks I’ve ever had. 

Oh no! Guess I just changed my mind. I do love a good Porterhouse or Fillet Mignon but we have them at home all the time and I don't want to risk getting a bad one. I might try the ribeye since I haven't had one of those in years. Just don't want a tough, chewy steak! 

Edited by ready2cruzagain

The porterhouse on Prima back in September was excellent. Couldn’t say the same for the service. They snatched my plate away virtually as I put down my knife and fork, before my wife had finished eating her fillet. I thought it quite rude, my wife on the other hand though it a crime worthy of having the waiter flogged against a hatch cover at Captains Mast (article 15 I believe for our transatlantic chums).

• 3 weeks later...

The best steaks on Viva (Nov) were (in descending order of deliciousness)

1) Onda fillet

2) Paladar fillet

3) Le Bistro fillet

4) Cagney breakfast steaks

just ok - strip steak at Cagney’s

not good - ribeye from Cagney’s

These last 2 not steakhouses quality

We typically order MR, the steaks were pink but dry. I think it’s the finishing oven they use after they almost sear them on the grill. The executive chef came out and explained how they cook them. On the grill then into the oven. My observation - The steaks did not have a good char, therefore the oven dried them out. No where in the discussion did he mention using the salamander I could see from our table. If they had gotten a proper sear in the salamander….

Edited by ColdCruise

I've ordered ribeyes the last two times at Cagney's, and won't do it next time.  Unfortunately, I doubt that any steak from Cagney's is any good anymore.  They are certainly better than the NY strip I ordered in the MDR (mostly as a goof/test), but hardly worthy of the "specialty dining" label.  Of course, the "steak" at Teppanyaki isn't any good these days either.  I've been about 2 for 3 at LeBistro, so maybe that will be my next play.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:15 PM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

They used to have a $ limit on latitudes.

Caused the crazy situation of $1+service bills in venues.

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've ordered ribeyes the last two times at Cagney's, and won't do it next time.  Unfortunately, I doubt that any steak from Cagney's is any good anymore.  They are certainly better than the NY strip I ordered in the MDR (mostly as a goof/test), but hardly worthy of the "specialty dining" label.  Of course, the "steak" at Teppanyaki isn't any good these days either.  I've been about 2 for 3 at LeBistro, so maybe that will be my next play.

LeBistro now has an upcharge for the filet.... so you might need to rethink that. It used to be my favorite, but I can't justify paying an upcharge when I can get it for free at either Cagneys or the Haven restaurant. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

LeBistro now has an upcharge for the filet.... so you might need to rethink that. It used to be my favorite, but I can't justify paying an upcharge when I can get it for free at either Cagneys or the Haven restaurant. 

The up-charge at LeBistro is due to it being topped with foie Gras. Many people have posted that if you ask to have that removed, the surcharge goes away. 

1 hour ago, TheDawg79 said:

The up-charge at LeBistro is due to it being topped with foie Gras. Many people have posted that if you ask to have that removed, the surcharge goes away. 

I'll likely test that on my next cruise.  If not, I think the upcharge is only $10 or something like that, so I'll "risk" it. 🤑  I love great steak, but crappy steak is a real downer.   I've had bad fillets at both Cagney's and Ocean Blue, but DW had a good fillet a few weeks ago at Cagney's.  Seems to be a roll of the dice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDawg79 said:

Not my experience. I have zero interest in foie gras, so I had asked for the pork chop (prefer the sides and sauces with that one) but to swap the chop with a filet. Was told there would be an upcharge for the filet, and there sure enough was. So our last trip we skipped LeBistro completely given our options in other restaurants to pick from.

@ChiefMateJRK I'll Zelle you $20 so you can get both the filet and a handful of espresso martinis on your next trip 😉 

• Haha 1