Crystal Serenity December 2nd to December 16th

Emdee

Yesterday was a full program for us.

Tastes for lunch followed by an evening Sinatra show which was perfect for us

and OO for dinner.

Tastes was tastes and the chinois salad for me is a must.  
Enjoyed the mini show with some of the Sinatra favourites.

Second time at OO for me a tad disappointing. I enjoyed it the last time I went in September.

I find the meals here interesting but not inspiring after so many super meals in Waterside. Not sure if we will go again next week. We have eaten Italian food in several very good restaurants, even Michelin star restaurants, in Italy so I am not comparing it to Prego. While the menu appears to be good on paper the flavours just don’t do it for me. 

IMG_4366.jpeg

IMG_4373.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4374.jpeg

IMG_4380.jpeg

IMG_4382.jpeg

IMG_4384.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4368.jpeg

Edited by Emdee
  • Like 6

Final comments. We left the ship at 8:45a this morning. Quick Uber ride to Condado Hilton, where we are camping out until we head to the airport later this afternoon. Lovely corner room, with views of the sea and the port.

To those continuing on this week or 2 weeks back to Miami, continue the party. Seven days was just too short. Till next time! 😄😄😄

Rob

IMG_8780.jpeg

IMG_8782.jpeg

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, acstall said:

What pier is Serenity docked at today? I’m having trouble finding valid address for Uber. We embark today. Thanks!

Use Pan American Pier as the drop off address. Be aware that the luggage drop off is in front of the RCCL ship, not in front of Serenity. 

Also, the Uber drivers cannot pick up immediately in front of the terminal. You’ll have to meet your driver by the street in front of the parking lot. Very strong taxi union here.

Rob

2 hours ago, ryndam said:

Final comments. We left the ship at 8:45a this morning. Quick Uber ride to Condado Hilton, where we are camping out until we head to the airport later this afternoon. Lovely corner room, with views of the sea and the port.

To those continuing on this week or 2 weeks back to Miami, continue the party. Seven days was just too short. Till next time! 😄😄😄

Rob

A big thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos this past week. 😉

Safe travels home ✈️

• Like 1

Looking overall across the week I was a bit underwhelmed by the desserts in Waterside. I think Crystal needs to up their game here. It is ok to have apple pie and rhubarb crumble but I think some innovation is needed. The  rest of the Waterside offerings are so excellent that this is a definite down.

Also I noticed that in September the jello served was handmade….meaning made with fresh or unique ingredients like ginger, lychee etc. On this cruise the offerings of jello are grocery store jello. 

The gelato is beyond amazing. The expresso is very yummy. Love the fact that they will serve me just a half scoop….perfect to end my marketplace lunch. 

• Like 1

If you’re a fan of sorbets, we enjoyed them in Waterside, Tastes, and OO. Fresh, light and different every evening. Also the cheese selections in Waterside, with a glass of port, was the right ending for a few dinners. 

Food preferences are very personal. Glad that there were always options.

Almost forgot, our waiter tempted us with a plateful of just-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies in Waterside last night. We succumbed. 

Returned home to a 50 deg., 25 mph north wind Houston December. Ah, the Caribbean. 😄😄

Rob

• Like 4

6 hours ago, May B said:

I loved every dessert I had in Waterside. I can’t say I ever noticed jello. Seriously, that was on the menu? Perhaps I didn’t notice it b/c I would never order it.

The jello was in Marketplace. I love a light dessert after lunch and then enjoy a small scoop of their amazing gelato.

I didn’t have the Grand Marnier souffle in waterside but DH told me it was excellent.

My point is that the menu in Waterside is so innovative that I feel the desserts are unchanged and kind of left behind. 

6 hours ago, ryndam said:

If you’re a fan of sorbets, we enjoyed them in Waterside, Tastes, and OO. Fresh, light and different every evening. Also the cheese selections in Waterside, with a glass of port, was the right ending for a few dinners. 

Food preferences are very personal. Glad that there were always options.

Almost forgot, our waiter tempted us with a plateful of just-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies in Waterside last night. We succumbed. 

Returned home to a 50 deg., 25 mph north wind Houston December. Ah, the Caribbean. 😄😄

Rob

I love the Sorbets and had them a few times. The only disappointment was the Lychee. This is great in Umi Uma but was flavourless in waterside.

The Crystal cheese selection is stellar. DH enjoyes his cheese daily. On Silversea Endeavour for example they have started to use fake Gouda and fake Emmental. By that I mean sourced from other than the original places of origin and tasting subtly different. This type of cheaper cheese is ok for a grilled cheese sandwich but not by itself. 
I feel that the food offerings in Waterside really wow so it is time to upgrade the desserts. Not many changes to their dessert menu since 2018 or 2019. 
Other than this we have been enjoying a great cruise food wise. 
Crystal staff and service are in a class by themselves. It feels like one is warmly welcomed into the collective bosom of the Crystal family. The Crystal love just cannot be matched and we have tried all the other three luxury lines in the last three years. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you who shared your Crystal cruise with us. I really enjoyed looking over the daily programs, seeing the food and reading the comments. 

I am looking forward to eating at Waterside. On other cruiselines they will try and sit you in the same place with the same wait staff if possible each night. Do they do that on Serenity automatically or do you have to ask? And if you have to ask would you suggest we do or is it better to experience as many of the wonderful staff as we can? Thanks!

52 minutes ago, Amber14 said:

Thanks to all of you who shared your Crystal cruise with us. I really enjoyed looking over the daily programs, seeing the food and reading the comments. 

I am looking forward to eating at Waterside. On other cruiselines they will try and sit you in the same place with the same wait staff if possible each night. Do they do that on Serenity automatically or do you have to ask? And if you have to ask would you suggest we do or is it better to experience as many of the wonderful staff as we can? Thanks!

We knew which section we wanted to be in so requested it. Got a fledgling waiter but everyone has to learn sometimes. 
if you have any preferences like location suggest you tell the Maitre.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Amber14 said:

I would ask if you prefer to sit in the same area with the same wait-staff.  I would see what you tihink the first night and if you are happy with the table and wait staff ask if it is possible to sit there. Now, the issue is what the overall occupancy level on that cruise and what time you arrive.

Keith

• Like 2

9 hours ago, May B said:

I loved every dessert I had in Waterside. I can’t say I ever noticed jello. Seriously, that was on the menu? Perhaps I didn’t notice it b/c I would never order it.

I remember once there was a major fusspot at table next to us. She ordered dessert after dessert after dessert and sent them all back with a cringe. Then out came the jello and she was in heaven. We were shocked!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Emdee said:

The jello was in Marketplace. I love a light dessert after lunch and then enjoy a small scoop of their amazing gelato.

I didn’t have the Grand Marnier souffle in waterside but DH told me it was excellent.

My point is that the menu in Waterside is so innovative that I feel the desserts are unchanged and kind of left behind. 

I remember being impressed that they’re small! Avoiding them altogether is easy when I love to eat everything else there. Often get ice cream, though! It’s on the way to wherever I’m going. Now gelato.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Txcotn said:

I remember once there was a major fusspot at table next to us. She ordered dessert after dessert after dessert and sent them all back with a cringe. Then out came the jello and she was in heaven. We were shocked!

Lol. It was definitely not me….as I order desserts only  if they pique my interest . And would never order more than one even if I didn’t enjoy the first offering.  Never seen Jello at waterside in any case. They have those little glasses in Marketplace. 

2 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Lol. It was definitely not me….as I order desserts only  if they pique my interest . And would never order more than one even if I didn’t enjoy the first offering.  Never seen Jello at waterside in any case. They have those little glasses in Marketplace. 

I wish the trifles in Waterside came in those little glasses.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, LewiLewi said:

Hi Bill,

I will be boarding on Dec. 16 as a solo. I have a few questions:

Is there a solo get together on the first evening of embarkation?

Are the solo cabins on deck 7 quiet? My cabin is toward the end/closer to the elevator rather than front of the ship.

Are there loungers available in the shade, or are they taken quickly?

Any special recommendations for dining/special dishes?

Thank you.

Still looking for answers, I board in one week.

15 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

I am not Bill, but I can answer some of the questions.

When we were on board the first two sailings of Serenity I didn't see any solo get togethers listed in the daily program reflections.

I am familiar with the location of the solo rooms on deck 7.  No worries about being near the elevator.  You should not hear other out by that area.

On the Pool Deck there are lounges available in the shade. For some that is certainly a preference particularly saying in the Caribbean. But overall demand varies by overall occupancy of the ship.  If you find it's a problem my recommendation is to get out there earlier.  On port days less of an issues as many are in port.

My view is to try a variety of dishes. For example, the Osteria Italian restaurant was new to all of us so rather than have one starter it was recommended I have two.  There are lots of great choices in all of the dining venues but food preferences do vary by person.

Keith

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

There are loungers available in the shade. If your cruise is not too full shouldn’t have a problem. The Lido staff are amazing. They will even set you up with towels and bring you iced water and your favorite drink. 
Regarding favorite dishes…the Waterside dinner menu is interesting and innovative. There is always a choice of old favourites and modern dishes. More than anything the food is served hot and tastes great. Enjoy the food on board.

Tastes Chinois salad is my favorite along with the Marketplace salad bar.

The Crystal waffles are the best crispy outside and light inside. 

Just a taste teaser……enjoy your time on board and feel the Crystal Love.

• Like 2