Random Anthem observations live

sadiwest

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from sadiwest! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

sadiwest was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Few thoughts.

At first I wasn't a fan of the now-in-place digital Conpass. I'm all in now. We constantly check the app because we msy not think to carry paper around but I always have my phone.

I posted few days ago that we had a cabin issue night one.  I imagine no one cares about the actual issue, but we feel RCCL handled it very well....  better than I expected.  

The crew has been extremely helpful and friendly.    Absolutely zero complaints.  

Idk why but I was kind of expecting the ship to show more wear than it does.  The only place I saw any issue was in Chic where a few chairs were missing their "skirts" in places and some had some well-worn spots.   Still, overall, looked good all around. 

I don't know if every ship for all lines are the same but we were on Anthem maybe 6 years and 7 years ago, and the headline shows are the same now. Kind of wish it was a little different after all this time. 

For now that's all I've got.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Sailing Anthem next summer. Super bummed to hear I will always need to have my phone. I really hate carrying my phone on a cruise. 

You can still ask for a paper compass. they'll deliver it to your stateroom daily

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Sailing Anthem next summer. Super bummed to hear I will always need to have my phone. I really hate carrying my phone on a cruise. 

Thanks for posting about your trip. Looking forward to reading more of your observations.

Completely agree. We go on vacation to escape our phone yet RCL forces us back to it. 

They need to do a better job educating people that they can still get the compass as I did not know until day 5 when I saw a gal walking around with it. 

24 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Thanks for posting about your trip. Looking forward to reading more of your observations.

We are on anthem now and get a paper compass in our room every night. Just tell room steward

4 hours ago, skittl1321 said:

I also don't want to carry my phone around.  Since they switched over, I have always just requested a paper one and got one daily with no issues.  I also always request a paper menu in the MDR. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

So basically nothing is wowing you. Same experience for us a few weeks ago. 

I wouldn't say unwowed (not just because it's not a word).   It's more like we needed some down time and that's what we're getting.  I'm always impressed by the organization and teamwork involved among the crew.

• Like 1

Another random thing I didn't mention before.... I noticed that the garland on the staircases was wrapped around the handrail in every case. I thought that was pretty silly as some people actually use a handrail.

Today I saw the garland on the stairs by Music Hall was moved to the other side of the glass.  Glad it was done.  

20231128_194511.jpg

20231128_142225.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Just heard that there's a passenger who is waiting for an ambulance, requiring hospitalization. Didn't hear if it was injury or accident....   anyone else hear anything? 

No, and we won't.  Privacy issues.

10 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Few thoughts.

At first I wasn't a fan of the now-in-place digital Conpass. I'm all in now. We constantly check the app because we msy not think to carry paper around but I always have my phone.

I posted few days ago that we had a cabin issue night one.  I imagine no one cares about the actual issue, but we feel RCCL handled it very well....  better than I expected.  

The crew has been extremely helpful and friendly.    Absolutely zero complaints.  

Idk why but I was kind of expecting the ship to show more wear than it does.  The only place I saw any issue was in Chic where a few chairs were missing their "skirts" in places and some had some well-worn spots.   Still, overall, looked good all around. 

I don't know if every ship for all lines are the same but we were on Anthem maybe 6 years and 7 years ago, and the headline shows are the same now. Kind of wish it was a little different after all this time. 

I'm so excited that I am on the famous sadiwest's "finally got my cruise!"  😄 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sadiwest said:

All Royal Caribbean ships.

These shows are multi-million productions.  

This is a big part of the reason that next year, Anthem will not return - we will get Odyssey.  New ships, new shows.

And Oasis will be replaced by Symphony.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, sadiwest said:

Few thoughts.

I so agree with you.

I cannot even imagine paper program now! I love how we can "schedule" events and get notifications.

And service is terrific and ship is in good shape.  I don't want Anthem to go after this season 😞

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackForest said:

PigsCanFly mentioned they always request a paper menu for MDR. I haven't cruised post-pandemic. Are they no longer handing out paper menus unless requested?

For some time after pandemic you had to scan QR code unless you asked to bring a menu.

Now it is back to old ways.

• Like 1

We were on Anthem last week.  A bit underwhelmed this go around.  We’ve sailed her twice before and had great journeys.  This one just didn’t live up to expectations.

Being Thanksgiving week, it was very crowded with a lot of kids.  Nothing wrong with that in itself.  But, I felt rules were bent to accommodate the kids.  Solarium is a nice relaxing place…18+ for a reason.  We had a lot of kids in there.  We liked to listen to Iconic band (she has a marvelous voice) but kids doing cartwheels across the dance floor was very distracting.  And please folks…we know your kids are adorable…but, enforce some table manners in the MDR! 
The crew was great!  Very polite and accommodating. Marina at Guest Services was awesome.  She was surprised when I pointed out what an apt name it was to be working in the cruise industry!

we never saw our stateroom attendant.  But, the cabin was always spotless.  Benford and Sheldon were our servers and they did magnificent.

I feel the food was kinda bland this time, too.

Maybe I’ve just hit the crotchety years! LOL.

I was on the Thanksgiving cruise also.  I did not see many kids in the Solarium but   perhaps it depended on where you were sitting. We were in a Jr. Suite and our attendant,  Irish, was fantastic.  We  only ate in Coastal Kitchen, Jamie's and  Wonderland for dinner.  The latter two  were great.  Service in CK was excellent, but the food was mediocre.   We actually really liked the lunch in 270.    I use a walker.    The kids I encountered where  fine-  most held the elevator for me. It was  some older  people, oddly, who  were rude. The  guys in Schooner Bar and Vintages were great. This was the first RCCL  cruise in a long while where I did not have issues and  had to spend  time at Guest Services.   RCCL still has to work in issues for people who  have mobility issues- Anthem was a mess on that.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tatka said:

I so agree with you.

I cannot even imagine paper program now! I love how we can "schedule" events and get notifications.

And service is terrific and ship is in good shape.  I don't want Anthem to go after this season 😞

You will like the Odyssey just as much, if not more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1