Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Will see some of them tonight in the CL.  Looking forward to hearing their story.  🙂

And the northern lights are best seen in the winter time....in the north of course. 😄   Big tourist attraction in Alaska in January.  If you can stand the cold out there waiting for them to show up. 

With minimal light pollution and near-perfect visibility in some places, Greenland provides exceptional odds for viewing the milky-green lights. A three- or four-night stay during the aurora season (September to early April) offers the best chance of spotting them.15 dic 2023

Saw the Northern Lights on the Vision 2017 Arctic Crossing.  Sailing north out of Akureyri, Iceland (Aug 31 / Sept 1) around the same time that we crossed the Arctic Circle.  Paula (and Jim) were on the same sailing, and she has posted the photo that the ship handed out.

People had said they saw them on the Voyager 2022 Arctic Crossing, but I didn't see them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

Saw the Northern Lights on the Vision 2017 Arctic Crossing.  Sailing north out of Akureyri, Iceland (Aug 31 / Sept 1) around the same time that we crossed the Arctic Circle.  Paula (and Jim) were on the same sailing, and she has posted the photo that the ship handed out.

People had said they saw them on the Voyager 2022 Arctic Crossing, but I didn't see them.

They usually photograph much better than viewing by the naked eye.   Colors in photos are much more intense and much more visible.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

Just posting to say my husband and I are on the whole cruise and I try to read this thread when I can, but there are days when I don't.  Confirming that the weather has overall been wonderful -- we were in the theater when the sudden wind came and the rain came in on decks 12 and 5 and the captain changed course, etc. We didn't even notice it.  It was handled quickly and efficiently by Royal Caribbean and I probably wouldn't have noticed anything except that they had out fans drying the area near the elevators.  I did hear about it from people who experienced it, though. Here's a photo I took at Iguazu Falls yesterday -- we had a great time!  The weather was perfect and there's no way to really convey how amazing the falls are in person. 

01IguazuFalls4.jpeg

Wow...thanks!  I felt bad I had no pictures to show of the popular falls, since we opted for the dinner party last night.  Thanks for coming through with that and sharing!  🙂 

I am assuming you had a great time!  

And totally agree with you about that sudden wind storm.  Too many (that were not on the ship) made too much of it.  Indeed, it was hardly noticed, except the strange thing about listing to starboard a bit for while, until the captain turned the ship west to counter the broad side affect.  Did not last long at all, and carpets dry out.  🙂 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Definitely better chance in the winter.  We will be there on this cruise in August....but you never know for sure...we could get lucky.  🙂  I would love to see it!!  

On 1/1/2024 at 3:35 PM, CSHS1979 said:

Truthfully, doesn't food at home, especially breakfast, follow a predictable routine 

Years ago I worked with an engineer that told me he had eaten the same breakfast since he was a child! Waffles every day.  I almost didn’t believe him. I never knew anyone that did that before him.  I thought it was crazy, I could never eat the same thing every day.

On 1/1/2024 at 3:39 PM, CSHS1979 said:

As a segment Cruiser like me, you should be getting unlimited booze all over the ship. Plus you can give away your 6 Pinnacle vouchers. I use mine to supply the entertainment 

Were only D+ but get the extra bottles of wine in the cabin also, and I can never drink 5 drinks a day, so I give them away to our room steward, I jus ask what they want.
Do you just buy a drink and hand it to one of the entertainers?
Why have I never thought of that 🤪

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 5:14 AM, island lady said:

Indeed that is my "go to" lunch in the WJ...then we grab a beer/wine and enjoy sitting out back in the fresh air.  I get very creative with my salads...popping around at the different stations to add new things.  Love the Quinoa and the barley too.  🙂   For awhile they had roasted cashews and hazelnuts...but haven't seen them since.  😞 

Found I could take the coleslaw they have and add extra vinegar from the salad bar.  

I love the quinoa salads. We just got off a B2B on Radiance and they had only basic foods in the WJ, probably due to the fact that they weren’t long cruises, it was a holiday cruise, and there were more kids than I’ve ever seen on a ship, and I don’t think they eat quinoa 😁

but actually, that’s what I’m making for dinner tonight though 😉

On 1/3/2024 at 5:34 PM, island lady said:

Geez..I hope so.  I am buying ear plugs at the next port.  And probably sitting further down from the "walk in from the bar and sit at the closest seat" types.   Though I think she just needed to stay with outdoor rock concerts.  Ouch...my ear still hurts.  😞  

Always have earplugs with me, in fact I have some in my purse too. I can hear a pin drop, so when there’s loud music I need them.

sorry I’m so behind in the thread, I was away and don’t go in CC. I’m trying to catch up 😁

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Pat, Laura posted many beautiful pictures of the Falls yesterday on the "other" site.

I have not yet found John's other site.   I'll have to try again while we are home today with it snowing here. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:27 PM, ONECRUISER said:

For example a 70 is Office Noise, 80 is like inside airplane or a Vacuum, 85 is City Noise from inside a car or a Noisy Restaurant, 90 is a Hair Dryer, 95 a Food Processor or Car horn. Though it's long term that causes damage, some are more sensitive to higher Sounds/Db's

On 1/5/2024 at 5:51 AM, island lady said:

Yeah, it's been getting louder all the time.  Not sure why.  Bucky takes his hearing aids out and it's still too loud indeed.  Me...will be using my ear plugs from now on with the concert type shows.  

to add to my previous post about sensitive hearing, when I was a teenager living in NY, we used to go to Madison Square Garden all the time to see rock concerts with groups like Ozzy Osborne, Led Zepplin, ELP, Aerosmith, etc.  loud groups…..and they were so loud I always stuffed tissue in my ears and actually when I did that I could hear the music better!
Plus I attribute that to the reason I don’t need hearing aids yet and maybe why I can still hear a pin drop.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Their Best chances of seeing the Northern Lights won't come until August when they are in Iceland and Greenland.

Theres northern lights (Aurora Borealis) in the north and southern lights in the south which are called Aurora Australis. I’m not sure if they will be able to see them when they are there.

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I love the quinoa salads. We just got off a B2B on Radiance and they had only basic foods in the WJ, probably due to the fact that they weren’t long cruises, it was a holiday cruise, and there were more kids than I’ve ever seen on a ship, and I don’t think they eat quinoa 😁

but actually, that’s what I’m making for dinner tonight though 😉

Always have earplugs with me, in fact I have some in my purse too. I can hear a pin drop, so when there’s loud music I need them.

sorry I’m so behind in the thread, I was away and don’t go in CC. I’m trying to catch up 😁

I am like you...Bucky accuses me of being able to hear "ants fart".  😄 

• Haha 10

On 1/3/2024 at 12:55 PM, island lady said:

No idea.  A few years ago, on a simple 7 night cruise on Freedom we had 8 medical emergencies.  It was unreal and sad, and two of them were almost at the same time.  We all hope it does not happen to us, but obviously we can't read the future.  

We had 12 alphas on our December Oasis (7 night) cruise!

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

to add to my previous post about sensitive hearing, when I was a teenager living in NY, we used to go to Madison Square Garden all the time to see rock concerts with groups like Ozzy Osborne, Led Zepplin, ELP, Aerosmith, etc.  loud groups…..and they were so loud I always stuffed tissue in my ears and actually when I did that I could hear the music better!
Plus I attribute that to the reason I don’t need hearing aids yet and maybe why I can still hear a pin drop.

Indeed...I will stuff tissue paper, toilet paper, paper napkins...whatever I can grab when I stupidly forget my ear plugs.  And totally agree with you...protecting our ear drums...now we don't need hearing aids.  Bucky worked many years as consultant to power plants around the world.  Even with ear protection...he still lost his hearing before he retired.  😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

And totally agree with you...protecting our ear drums...now we don't need hearing aids.  Bucky worked many years as consultant to power plants around the world.  Even with ear protection...he still lost his hearing before he retired.  😞 

My hearing loss is hereditary, so no hope for me.  I still do wear ear protection when using loud equipment (chainsaw, wood chipper, tractor, etc.). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

My hearing loss is hereditary, so no hope for me.  I still do wear ear protection when using loud equipment (chainsaw, wood chipper, tractor, etc.). 

So sad to hear that (bad choice of words...sorry).   But it really is so sad to not be able enjoy our full senses.  

My worst fear is losing my eye sight.  😮  Though so far, my eye glass script has remained the same for the last 3 years.  🤗  OK...excuse me while I find some wood to knock on.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

My grandmother's hearing started going in her 70's.  My mother who is 86 had chemo in her late 60's which impacted her hearing and hers is getting worse.  Both wear/wore hearing aids which are much better now than when my grandmother had them.  Our oldest son has a hearing loss (appears he was born with it) but, you'd never know as he developed at a normal rate and is a math whiz who majored in math in college so he also wears them.  His speech was a little impacted but only letters that are typical for a lot of kids.  My FIL had hearing loss and DH has the typical male hearing loss plus a little more from his time in the Navy.  So, apparently, I'm the bad guy because I don't need any volume turned up lol.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, island lady said:

So sad to hear that (bad choice of words...sorry).   But it really is so sad to not be able enjoy our full senses.  

My worst fear is losing my eye sight.  😮  Though so far, my eye glass script has remained the same for the last 3 years.  🤗  OK...excuse me while I find some wood to knock on.  

I actually do quite well with my Phonak Brio 5 UP hearing aids (half price at Costco 🙂 ).  And the bonus is I don't care if the foghorn is going off all night or they're moving chairs on deck or the windjammer at 4 AM.  😄

I have worn glasses for years, but I can see without them.  🤞

Will they ever find a cure for rudeness and lack of common sense?  🙃

• Like 5