Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

12 hours ago, island lady said:

C&A awards.  Several new Pinnies.  John and Laura received their milestone 1750 award, which made me realize we have been on board with them for every milestone they received...including their first newbie Pinnacle award, that included some yummy celebration cake!  😉

20240202_103454.jpg

20240202_110147.jpg

Did you stick around to the end. I may have gone on stage

20240202_110752.thumb.jpg.814c9db600c28e7a6994543ca6072081.jpg

We'll open the bottle tomorrow night when we treat the entire spa team to Chop's. Since John is buying it's half price. Still 14 + 2 diners.😮

20240202_110802.thumb.jpg.a2ebfaff1b844318317818e122f70279.jpg

Clear shot from the TV screens

PXL_20240202_165848572.thumb.jpg.1327a797620d75ecdce28d1c08450518.jpg

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 17

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Why hold off, The sailing(April 24th, Singapore to Dubai) that OP was talking about doesn't have be changed, it doesn't go through the Suez Canal.

Most likely the only sailing they will mess with is the May 9th sailing from Dubai to Athens

If the May 9 Dubai to Athens sailing is rerouted around Africa, the May 27 Athens to Istanbul cruise will probably have to be cancelled. The latter is one of the least expensive segments, and cancelling it should allow enough time for the ship to reach Istanbul for the June 7 segment. 

15 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Why hold off, The sailing(April 24th, Singapore to Dubai) that OP was talking about doesn't have be changed, it doesn't go through the Suez Canal.

Most likely the only sailing they will mess with is the May 9th sailing from Dubai to Athens

If they start re routing, very likely Dubai gets dropped. Even though it's a turnaround, passing through Straight of Hormuz is a huge potential problem. Twice😉

Screenshot_20240203_072505_Maps.jpg

Do turnaround in Muscat?

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

If the May 9 Dubai to Athens sailing is rerouted around Africa, the May 27 Athens to Istanbul cruise will probably have to be cancelled. The latter is one of the least expensive segments, and cancelling it should allow enough time for the ship to reach Istanbul for the June 7 segment. 

Pretty sure they could make the trip around Africa if leaving from Dubai or Muscat to Athens in the time span of the 18 days the May 9th itinerary was supposed to be done in, so why the need to cancel the May 27th Athens to Istanbul?

24 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

If they start re routing, very likely Dubai gets dropped. Even though it's a turnaround, passing through Straight of Hormuz is a huge potential problem. Twice😉

Screenshot_20240203_072505_Maps.jpg

Do turnaround in Muscat?

Well that would still be good turn around in Muscat, that would leave the April 24th itinerary pretty much still intact as is except to going to Dubai?

29 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Pretty sure they could make the trip around Africa if leaving from Dubai or Muscat to Athens in the time span of the 18 days the May 9th itinerary was supposed to be done in, so why the need to cancel the May 27th Athens to Istanbul?….

I initially hoped 18 days would be long enough, but the ship would have to travel at an average of 27 knots from Dubai to reach Athens on May 27: 

http://www.sea-distances.org

Way #2 

Distance 11308 nautical miles VIA Cape of Good Hope
Vessel speed 27 knots 
Time 17 days 11 hours

8 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

I initially hoped 18 days would be long enough, but the ship would have to travel at an average of 27 knots from Dubai to reach Athens on May 27: 

http://www.sea-distances.org

Way #2 

Distance 11308 nautical miles VIA Cape of Good Hope
Vessel speed 27 knots 
Time 17 days 11 hours

Yes, that is going to be tough, going to be a lot of unhappy cruisers missing out on their mini segments. A real mess.

For those going ashore today in Puntarenas, Costa Rica look to see if any of the vendors along the shoreline are still making these like we got back in 2004 when we were there on Radiance of the Seas.

Hand made really nice, would make for a great keepsake for your stop there.

20231125_110526.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

For those going ashore today in Puntarenas, Costa Rica look to see if any of the vendors along the shoreline are still making these like we got back in 2004 when we were there on Radiance of the Seas.

We're there on Radiance for the Canal transit in October.  Dh thinks there were vendors but we didn't stop as it was raining.  Not the weather for wandering.   Some of the tours returned to the ship late due to mudslides and downed trees.  Buses had to be sent to rescue passengers.   All aboard was 9:30 pm with sailaway at 10.  Last passengers arrived at 10:20!  Saw police cars bringing other passengers who got stuck.  

10 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Did you stick around to the end. I may have gone on stage

20240202_110752.thumb.jpg.814c9db600c28e7a6994543ca6072081.jpg

We'll open the bottle tomorrow night when we treat the entire spa team to Chop's. Since John is buying it's half price. Still 14 + 2 diners.😮

20240202_110802.thumb.jpg.a2ebfaff1b844318317818e122f70279.jpg

Clear shot from the TV screens

PXL_20240202_165848572.thumb.jpg.1327a797620d75ecdce28d1c08450518.jpg

No, we sat way in the back...as is our usual, and left right away.   I remember your 1400 award on Odyssey, where you had to bring them back to get your picture.  

Arrived early to Puntarenas...supposed to be by 10 am, but we got here just after 8 am.  Our tour does not meet until noon, which will give us plenty of Jungle heat this afternoon visiting the kitties and birdies.  😉 🦜🐈

• Like 7

18 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks Sherri!  For some reason I still just like the feel of book in my hands.  Though one day I may go "kindle".  😉 

I missed this yesterday!  I feel the same way!  I bought a really nice Kindle a year ago, and still have not used it!  I too love reading real books and although I packed a couple, I am so happy with the beautiful Library they have set up on Deck 12 with so many reading choices! 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, island lady said:

Arrived early to Puntarenas...supposed to be by 10 am, but we got here just after 8 am.  Our tour does not meet until noon, which will give us plenty of Jungle heat this afternoon visiting the kitties and birdies.  😉 🦜🐈

We meet our Panoramic Tour at 12:30. Right now, the TV says it’s 88 degrees and on top of that, it’s really humid!  At least that tour description clearly says “air conditioned” bus.  I hope your bus turns out to be air conditioned as well!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

I missed this yesterday!  I feel the same way!  I bought a really nice Kindle a year ago, and still have not used it!  I too love reading real books and although I packed a couple, I am so happy with the beautiful Library they have set up on Deck 12 with so many reading choices! 

Me too.  Have found some very nice books, several favorites at the pool table library, though all of the  new ones are on deck 12.  Have already donated half of the ones I brought on board, and looks like I am not the only one.  😉 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We meet our Panoramic Tour at 12:30. Right now, the TV says it’s 88 degrees and on top of that, it’s really humid!  At least that tour description clearly says “air conditioned” bus.  I hope your bus turns out to be air conditioned as well!

Ours does not state that, and GS desk was really vague on that as "no guarantees on bus condition" 😮   Maybe since it's a volunteer sanctuary?. 

Oh well, I am still looking forward to seeing the Macaws.  🙂   Land based "Jungle Cruise" here we come.  🥵😬

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

We're there on Radiance for the Canal transit in October.  Dh thinks there were vendors but we didn't stop as it was raining.  Not the weather for wandering.   Some of the tours returned to the ship late due to mudslides and downed trees.  Buses had to be sent to rescue passengers.   All aboard was 9:30 pm with sailaway at 10.  Last passengers arrived at 10:20!  Saw police cars bringing other passengers who got stuck.  

I believe we were on that same cruise, started October 24th to November 7th.(West to East transit) .

At that port because of the wet weather we did not book an excursion, just got off the ship and went through all the vendor area at the end of the pier to the left and then we went to the right off the pier and found some place to have lunch.

I remember some  of  the  tours leaving in open jeeps, just knew they were  in for a terrible time. Those tours should have never left. 

I kind of remember some people from the tours coming back and getting on the ship and they were all muddy. It was raining like crazy most of the time we were there.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

20231125_110526.jpg

Could not find anything like this on either of our stops there in November.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Our cruise ended in Tampa on 10/23. Sailed from San Diego on 10/7 if I remember correctly. 

That's hard to understand then, We boarded Radiance in San Diego on October 24th 2004, how could Radiance be in Tampa on October 23rd?  was your sailing a different year then 2004?

Edited by Jimbo

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That's hard to understand then, We boarded Radiance in San Diego on October 24th 2004, how could Radiance be in Tampa on October 23rd?  was your sailing a different year then 2004?

Sailed 2023!  A few years after you. Guess it rains there alot.

• Haha 3

Getting ready to get an early bite from the WJ, have sunscreen applied, will slather on bug spray after lunch and head out.   Still very hot and humid...but no rain predicted.  Will take a chance and leave rain jackets behind.  Though when we take them...it never rains...so am I temping fate?  😳 

Then again, maybe a nice rain shower is not such a bad thing.  😉 

• Like 6

Our balcony is on the shady side of the ship, so it’s pretty comfortable sitting out here right now.  We are not on the dockside, so we just have a lovely view of the beaches and mountains!  Hope it stays nice so we can relax out here after our tour.  

According to the ship information, sunset tonight is at 5:44, which seems really early, even though we moved the clocks back an hour last night!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Sailed 2023!  A few years after you. Guess it rains there alot.

It does rain there a lot(Tropical Rain Forest !) and the roads are crap there. So it doesn't take much rain at all for it to become a real mess there.

21 hours ago, Jimbo said:

As far as I know Silverseas from West to east cancelled the cruise from dubai (and obviously through the Suez Canal) and picked it up in Mumbai when they went round Africa last month . Pax were disembarked in Athens. So I would want to know if its going to Dubai before changing course .

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

20231125_110526.jpg

Very nice keepsake.  It would make me smile whenever I looked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Yup, that was us getting rescued. Had to ride in back or Police Pickup and walk through water covering the Bridge on main road. This after our Van was hit by one of those landslides.We were supposed be back by 330, 1020 we made it, Soaked, mud in our shoes

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1