Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

5 hours ago, little britain said:

Any clues yet as to Suez Canal changes? Is the announcement meant to be 16th

I’m anxious to hear about the April 24 (Singapore to Dubai), May 9 (Dubai to Athens), and May 27 (Athens to Istanbul) segments…presumably tomorrow (Feb. 16). I am on the Athens to Istanbul segment, and I think it will be cancelled or drastically changed.

17 hours ago, island lady said:

As I already posted..."ignorance is bliss".   In this case, I already know.  

Case in point.  What is the first thing that comes into to your mind when you walk into your cabin on embarkation day?   And what is the first thing that will come into to my mind when I walk into that cabin on embarkation day in Barcelona?    

Yes, as I also already posted...feel very sad for the poor lady (rest her soul) and her family/friends.   Very sad indeed.  

theres little things you can do to cleanse the room

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

I’m anxious to hear about the April 24 (Singapore to Dubai), May 9 (Dubai to Athens), and May 27 (Athens to Istanbul) segments…presumably tomorrow (Feb. 16). I am on the Athens to Istanbul segment, and I think it will be cancelled or drastically changed.

I hope that doesn’t happen, we were in that area in October on the modified Holy Land cruise and it was fabulous. We’re doing 2 segments from Ravenna to Barcelona so I’m watching to see if that will change too, but we just have to go with the flow…..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Move to Cabin 7602, It's available for July 10th.

Cabins above and Vintages below which will be quiet.

7602 has electrical issues. I was in that cabin for the four nights prior to the WC and was unable to use my own hair dryer, had to make do with Royal’s pathetic excuse for one.  I had to wait for an electrician to show up and reset the breaker to discover that rather important tidbit of info. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

7602 has electrical issues. I was in that cabin for the four nights prior to the WC and was unable to use my own hair dryer, had to make do with Royal’s pathetic excuse for one.  I had to wait for an electrician to show up and reset the breaker to discover that rather important tidbit of info. 

Strange because they still have it listed as available. If it isn't working properly, they should take it out of service.

Maybe your hairdryer is above the allowable wattage for that cabin, or for that area of the ship for some reason.

Edited by Jimbo

12 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Currently on this cruise, so far we are enjoying it.  The ship is in much better shape than when we sailed in November, 2021. The only crowded areas appear to be the bars in the evening😂.  

The new library is great!  Lots of shiny new books, most do not look like they have been touched.

The gym really could use some new weight machines as the current ones have a lot of rusty areas and are difficult to adjust.  They did bring in some new stuff today, a new rowing machine and some type of strange running contraption but I did not see anything that looked like it could be replacements for the weight machines. 

Food has been amazingly good but they are repeating stuff in the MDR, for example, warm apple cobbler has been one of four desserts on the menu every night so far.  We had very good steaks in Chops Tuesday evening, but they were not busy at all.  There were only 2 other couples beside us the restaurant, I don’t think I’ve ever seen waiters just standing around before.

Entertainment has been ok, but not great. I did think the Royal singers did a very good show but the magician/comedian put me to sleep last night.

Bed is comfy, pillows are nice and the new towels and robes are amazing!  Our cabin is in very good shape.

Looking forward to the next 24 days!

Sherri🙂

Experienced pretty much the same thing on this last quarter as you are now.   Thanks for keeping this thread alive, enjoying your review.  🙂 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I understand your point of view, about what will come to mind first thing, now that you know the cabin #.

Not even close.  Different cabin...down the hall.  The mind is a curious thing.  😉 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leeharpoon said:

I have a walk-in closet available in my cabin😅!

Drats...I forgot to check out your unique cabin before we left.  Will do so when we return in July if still invited!  Miss you guys!  🙂 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Strange because they still have it listed as available. If it isn't working properly, they should take it out of service.

Maybe your hairdryer is above the allowable wattage for that cabin, or for that area of the ship for some reason.

I have had the hairdryer on more than 30 cruises and it has worked beautifully every time except in 7602. That cabin was listed as available when I booked it. I asked the electrician what the permanent fix would be. He said there is no permanent fix and stated the problem applied to the cabin next door as well. 

Doesn’t it seem odd to you that a center hump balcony would still be available?  Possibly they keep it out of inventory until most balconies have already been booked. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I originally had that cabin...but just days prior, my Royal UP was granted and moved to GS on deck 10.  I am ever so happy that happened ....even more so now.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I have had the hairdryer on more than 30 cruises and it has worked beautifully every time except in 7602. That cabin was listed as available when I booked it. I asked the electrician what the permanent fix would be. He said there is no permanent fix and stated the problem applied to the cabin next door as well. 

Doesn’t it seem odd to you that a center hump balcony would still be available?  Possibly they keep it out of inventory until most balconies have already been booked. 

Most likely...IMHO...due to the fact I had that cabin up until 2 days before embarkation in Miami.  All of my cruise docs were still showing 7602...but I had the upgrade letter in hand for GS cabin #1550.  Still made for mass confusion at check in.  🫤

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I originally had that cabin...but just days prior, my Royal UP was granted and moved to GS on deck 10.  I am ever so happy that happened ....even more so now.  

Just before the WC, your description of your cabin location sounded like 7602. I tried to warn you, but I was trying to be subtle, apparently too subtle!  I finally just asked you if your cabin was on Deck 7, and you had just been moved to 10. Lucky!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Most likely...IMHO...due to the fact I had that cabin up until 2 days before embarkation in Miami.  All of my cruise docs were still showing 7602...but I had the upgrade letter in hand for GS cabin #1550.  Still made for mass confusion at check in.  🫤

After reading about the problem with 7602 and the cabin next door, it all makes sense that they granted you the upgrade;  and, good for you that that's what probably happened!😉

• Like 1

I'm wondering if the problem in 7602 is because someone in the past used one of the Dyson hairdryers that is notorious for destroying electrical systems. 

I can report some good news, though.  Last week, on Vision, I found a new hairdryer in my cabin, and it was by far the best, strongest one I've ever used, including my good ones at home.  I suspect they are being replaced as needed, rather than ship-wide or fleet-wide. For those who complain of having to hold down the button, this model doesn't require that. The button slides up for strong, middle for off, and down for low.  My long hair dried in a jiffy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Just before the WC, your description of your cabin location sounded like 7602. I tried to warn you, but I was trying to be subtle, apparently too subtle!  I finally just asked you if your cabin was on Deck 7, and you had just been moved to 10. Lucky!

Thanks....looks like I lucked out for sure!  😉  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

After reading about the problem with 7602 and the cabin next door, it all makes sense that they granted you the upgrade;  and, good for you that that's what probably happened!😉

Could definitely be the reason!  RCI liked to keep problems very close to themselves.  😉 

• Like 2

On a side note...speaking of hair dryers.   If you use the adaptor on the 220 to 110....with your hair dryer...you will notice it is very..very powerful.   Just before it burns up.  🥵

Those 220 plug ins are not compatible with a lot of things with an adaptor.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NancyIL said:

In my zero facts, highly biased (because I'm on the Athens sailing as well and I'm being positive!!), but humble opinion.... I think Princess and Virgin has spoken to what Royal might do. It's all about the $$$$, and Royal out of all the cruise lines are so focused on the bottom line. Money will rule their decision 100% in my imo.

I checked all segments from Brisbane, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore... lot's of cabins available, Serenade is definitely not even close to capacity. Europe starting with the Athens-Istanbul segment is very full. And looking further into the other Europe itineraries pretty much sold out. This was also suggested with Princess and Virgin, whereby their ships were not at capacity in Asia, but very much in capacity in Europe. Which cruises are easiest to cancel? The full Europe sailings or the emptier Asia sailings?

So to me it makes sense getting the ship to Europe on time, and hopefully that means Athens.

I foresee Royal going south around Oz just like Virgin and Princess.... less fuel, shorter distance, less time to travel, less cancellations, less refunds to cruisers, just way easier to manage vs. going all the way to Dubai and then screwing up the first few Europe sailings.

This is Virgin's new sailing route vs. heading north from Sydney

426483596_354712417436274_1102165517784570957_n-2-1200x796.webp

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

On a side note...speaking of hair dryers.   If you use the adaptor on the 220 to 110....with your hair dryer...you will notice it is very..very powerful.   Just before it burns up.  🥵

Those 220 plug ins are not compatible with a lot of things with an adaptor.  

Did you experience this on your  UWC? Thanks for confirming that. Kathy has asked me before if she should use the adaptor. I don't claim to be an electrical engineer and advised her not to and just use the standard outlet.  She'd be PO if her hair dryer got fried as she hates the ones the cruise lines provide. Then we'd be out shopping for a replacement hair dryer while in port. Kinda like shopping for  a replacement suite case. 😂

Edited by doghog

25 minutes ago, doghog said:

Did you experience this on your  UWC? Thanks for confirming that. Kathy has asked me before if she should use the adaptor. I don't claim to be an electrical engineer and advised her not to and just use the standard outlet.  She'd be PO if her hair dryer got fried as she hates the ones the cruise lines provide. Then we'd be out shopping for a replacement hair dryer while in port. Kinda like shopping for  a replacement suite case. 😂

I ran into that on the Viking river cruise last year.  Wondered why my hair dryer was so extra powerful when I used the 220 to 110 adaptor, until I realized it was heating up...fast.   

So, I experimented again doing the same thing in our cabin on Serenade...same thing.  Unplugged quickly.  Used the adaptor for the USB plug for my clock...no worries.  But do not use it for Kathy's hair dryer.  She will be not happy if the thing fries up.  😮  And I don't think Duck tape will fix her fried hair dryer like it did your suitcase.  😁

• Haha 2