Charges for using Credit Card on Princess.

Reina del Mar

Just read a disembarkation notice on facebook, that someone posted from Australia.

Maybe I am not very observant but hadn't noticed previously that there is a 1.1% charge for paying onboard folio by Credit card.  

Is this something new ? Is it just in Australia ?

I am wondering about removing credit card on penultimate cruise day and paying using cash prior to disembarkation, if this is the case.

Anyone have any information ??

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Just read a disembarkation notice on facebook, that someone posted from Australia.

Maybe I am not very observant but hadn't noticed previously that there is a 1.1% charge for paying onboard folio by Credit card.  

I am wondering about removing credit card on penultimate cruise day and paying using cash prior to disembarkation, if this is the case.

Thanks.

IMO...that's probably just for Australia. Have never seen that before but we've never sailed Australia yet.

But then again...consider the source...

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

Just now, Princess Cruises Fann said:

It's just for Australian cruises. Paying any balance on your folia with a debit card or cash doesn't incur that 1.1% charge. 

Thank you for that information.  

Charge won’t be huge, but better in my pocket than Princess’.

• Like 1

There's a law in Australia that states that companies are allowed to recoup the credit card transaction fees from the customers.  The the 1.1% surcharge that Princess adds for Visa and Mastercard.  If I'm not mistaken the AMEX surcharge is 2.5%.  Cash or debit cards don't incur the surcharge.

Read about it here:

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing/card-surcharges

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thank you, that makes sense. Will make sure we have some cash available. 

Has anyone cancelled Credit card from folio to use cash before end of cruise  ?

Thanks again.

Don't recommend that your CC on file.  Guest Services will make harassing calls to your cabin if you don't have a CC on file, kind of like a debt collector.

You can go to Guest Services the last night of your cruise or the morning you disembark and pay off the balance of you folio in cash.  Your folio balance will be zero and nothing will be charged to your CC.  Just make sure to get a print out showing a zero balance.

TBH, the with the FOREX rate, you still come out ahead (assuming you are from the UK or the USA), even with 1.1% surcharge.  For me it's not worth the hassle of carrying so much Australian Dollars (then again it depends on your shipboard spending).  Just my 2 cents...You're free to do what you're comfortable with.

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

There's a law in Australia that states that companies are allowed to recoup the credit card transaction fees from the customers.  The the 1.1% surcharge that Princess adds for Visa and Mastercard.  If I'm not mistaken the AMEX surcharge is 2.5%.  Cash or debit cards don't incur the surcharge.

Read about it here:

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing/card-surcharges

My bill was AMEX on our Australian cruise and my charge 1.1%. MY wife had a Visa debit card and did not incur a surcharge.

5 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks.

Are you sailing from Aus?

Edited by startedwithamouse

6 hours ago, ruimin said:

Gift card, can I use it? Would that work?

Thanks!     Ruimin 

As far as I know Princess GCs are only issued in US Dollars.  The currency on Australia cruises is the Australian Dollar.  GS will credit the gift cards in to your folio in AUD one is to one to the USD value of the GC.  You're going to be out around 30% to 50%, depending on the exchange rate, which is even more than the 1.1% CC surcharge.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 7:20 PM, SCX22 said:

As far as I know Princess GCs are only issued in US Dollars.  The currency on Australia cruises is the Australian Dollar.  GS will credit the gift cards in to your folio in AUD one is to one to the USD value of the GC.  You're going to be out around 30% to 50%, depending on the exchange rate, which is even more than the 1.1% CC surcharge.

That doesn’t make sense that a conversion wouldn’t occur, especially if one loads the gift card as onboard credit prior to the cruise.

When excursions are pre-paid online prior to sailing, the AUD$ converts to US$ with credit card payments, so obviously conversions are possible.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:09 PM, coo359a2 said:

Just off the Grand Princess.  Was also charged the 1.1% for credit card payment for New Zealand restaurant. The Meriton in Sydney also charges the fee if bill paid with credit card.

That’s interesting to know.. cash is King, then !

Although I suppose it doesn’t make that much difference when you have to convert Pounds to Aus. dollars, as we get a better exchange rate using credit cards.

Maybe it’s all just swings and roundabouts !

3 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

That’s interesting to know.. cash is King, then !

Although I suppose it doesn’t make that much difference when you have to convert Pounds to Aus. dollars, as we get a better exchange rate using credit cards.

Maybe it’s all just swings and roundabouts !

Hard to know where cash is always King.  Went to Salisbury after ship's tour to Stonehenge.  Had quite a few English coins I wanted to use -preferably in a pastry shop.  Found what we wanted and got all the coins in my hand and the clerk said they only took credit cards.  Sent  us across the street to another pastry shop which had no problems taking my coins.

16 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Hard to know where cash is always King.  Went to Salisbury after ship's tour to Stonehenge.  Had quite a few English coins I wanted to use -preferably in a pastry shop.  Found what we wanted and got all the coins in my hand and the clerk said they only took credit cards.  Sent  us across the street to another pastry shop which had no problems taking my coins.

Thanks for sharing that story.

I remember a time when not everyone had credit cards and not every merchant took credit cards.  The preferred methods of exchange have certainly changed over time.  Maybe I'll see a time where most things are paid for with cryptocurrency?

On 12/5/2023 at 6:59 PM, Womble99 said:

I don't get it? A society that believes in forced tipping balks at a meager CC surcharge? 🤷‍♂️

I laughed at this post but still want to make a point, without starting yet another fight, that tipping in the USA is usually optional with the exception in some dining establishments, large parties will be automatically assessed an 18% gratuity (for us that usually less than what we'd leave). Otherwise it's up to the customer. Society here doesn't believe in "forced tipping" but does believe tipping is customary and the amount is based on the subjective quality of the service received.

And, yes, it is funny to make a big deal out of the 1.1% CC surcharge as in the USA the credit card companies typically charge around 3% or more. Heck, even direct bank transfers (ACH) are starting to get surcharges.

I think the OP is just surprised that there even is a surcharge and is wanting to understand. I remember my first visit to Oz and learning about the fee. Good thing my hotel stay was on loyalty points!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

I think the OP is just surprised that there even is a surcharge and is wanting to understand. I remember my first visit to Oz and learning about the fee. Good thing my hotel stay was on loyalty points!

OP here.  Just to point out I am from UK where there is no charge for using Credit Cards, and having travelled with a ‘no transaction fee’ card, have not paid charges in USA, South America, Asia…and must have missed them on previous visits to Australia.(or maybe used cash!)

On 12/6/2023 at 1:59 AM, Womble99 said:

I don't get it? A society that believes in forced tipping balks at a meager CC surcharge? 🤷‍♂️

Tipping is not excessive in UK..but sadly seems to be trying to follow USA in this regard. Credit Cards do not have surcharges here.

It's always been the case Down Under.. nothing new. The way I look at it.. it may cost 1.1% more (I thought it was more than that).. but the rewards scheme offers .9%.. so really it's only costing .2 of a percent. So if my onboard cost is $1,000 - it costs me $2. Plus I don't have to pay the bill till the following month. So I'm not going to muck around going to reception.. carrying cash etc just for that! 🙂