disembarking a day early

rln44

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

That does not make it right.

I never said it was right, just pointing out that the staff uses the term incorrectly as well. And with the staff using Jones Act, it is much more likely that the passengers will.

Of course HAL will be the final arbiter, but I’d like to do a transpacific from Yokohama,

clear US immigration in Kodiak then disembark in Juneau for further time in Alaska on my own rather than go all the way to Vancouver.

Appears to satisfy the criteria, any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Of course HAL will be the final arbiter, but I’d like to do a transpacific from Yokohama,

clear US immigration in Kodiak then disembark in Juneau for further time in Alaska on my own rather than go all the way to Vancouver.

Since your proposed cruise begins in a foreign country, the PVSA does not apply. You could disembark in Juneau if HAL give you permission and US Customs & Immigration is willing to provide an agent to process you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Looks legal to me.  Just be SURE you get written permission from HAL before hand and carry a printed copy of the approval with you.

Roy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It would be nice if posters just stopped once and for all confusing the Jones Act and the PVSA. I don't know how many times I have read Jones Act when they are talking about cruise ships. It has been explained over and over. 

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Unfortunately, it is not just passengers. I said something once to a staff member who said Jones act and his reply was that Jones Act was commonly used so that is what he called it.

I will just point out the information posted seems to be from a cruise line site, and not the actual law.  Even the cruise lines don't know what they're talking about, it seems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 5:23 PM, RuthC said:

The Jones Act is about movement of goods. The PVSA is about people. 
The two acts are not the same thing; they are two different laws addressing two different situations. Passed in two different years. 

You are absolutely correct RuthC.

Many posters have been confusing PVSA and the Jones ACT for some time now.    Alot of the information that has been spread is not accurate and has led to mass confusion on the related subjects

The easy way remember the distinction is:

PVSA is for passengers and hurts cruisers in general and yes, it has been interpreted to becomes a lame duck law and proper Coastline Transportation laws have to be drawn up to rectify the situation, or it has to be remmed out, or deemed out,  as was done during the pandemic to assist Alaska.

The Jones Act is for cargo and applies mostly to cargo jockeying and not to cruising or cruise passengers.   

If you are still confusing the two then perhaps you were just listening to the wrong radio station.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JRG said:

You are absolutely correct RuthC.

Many posters have been confusing PVSA and the Jones ACT for some time now.    Alot of the information that has been spread is not accurate and has led to mass confusion on the related subjects

The easy way remember the distinction is:

PVSA is for passengers and hurts cruisers in general and yes, it has been interpreted to becomes a lame duck law and proper Coastline Transportation laws have to be drawn up to rectify the situation, or it has to be remmed out, or deemed out,  as was done during the pandemic to assist Alaska.

The Jones Act is for cargo and applies mostly to cargo jockeying and not to cruising or cruise passengers.   

If you are still confusing the two then perhaps you were just listening to the wrong radio station.

Not the situation at all.  It's the Passenger Vessel Services Act. not the Large Cruise Ship Act.  It covers a LOT of operations in service including small cruise ships like Linblad and American Cruise Lines as well as Ferry Operations Harbor tour boats and probably a number of harbor boats and other services that escape my mind.  I don't want the ferry from Delaware to New Jersey farmed out to some fly by night foreign operator who would overload it and care little about safety as shown by a number of horrific accidents world wide.

Roy

• Like 4

I am just loving the pedantry in this thread. ❤️

I feel like there is a fantastic trivia team if we could ever get on the same 'dam ship at the same dam time!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I kind of like the idea of making a Trivia question, or set of Trivia questions surrounding the whole history of the PVSA. 

For Example:

Why is Vancouver considered a Distant Port?

a)  Its too far to swim too from the US

b)  It's the law, period.

c)  something to do about a 10-hour rule made a long time ago.

d)  all of the above.

Why not, when was the last time HAL updated the Trivia Questions anyways?

Edited by JRG
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JRG said:

I kind of like the idea of making a Trivia question, or set of Trivia questions surrounding the whole history of the PVSA. 

For Example:

Why is Vancouver considered a Distant Port?

a)  Its too far to swim too from the US

b)  It's the law, period.

c)  something to do about a 10-hour rule made a long time ago.

d)  all of the above.

Why not, when was the last time HAL updated the Trivia Questions anyways?

e) None of the above -- Vancouver is not a distant port.

On all the cruises I have taken recently, the Trivia Questions have been generated by the staff, generally the staff member doing the trivia. So the last time the Trivia Questions were updated on Volendam was today.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

e) None of the above -- Vancouver is not a distant port.

On all the cruises I have taken recently, the Trivia Questions have been generated by the staff, generally the staff member doing the trivia. So the last time the Trivia Questions were updated on Volendam was today.

🤣 at trivia question generated by a staff member doing the trivia. I once had a staff member ask as a trivia question, how old was he. I told that to another staff member doing trivia, and he said that was not one of the questions in the list. (Note this was not on HAL.)

My travel agent contacted HAL and said that I was to arrange early departure on board. I will be on the Feb. 20, 2024 sailing from Santiago to Buenos Aires. 

• Thanks 1