LIVE from the Viking Neptune World Cruise includes FTL and LA

BobCatter

It's a miracle! (Or someone reading Cruise Critic).  The Pool Deck roof is wide open.  We were up on 9 deck lounging in the sun for a couple of hours.  Perfect temp, no clouds at all, and calm seas...  The God Neptune is finally smiling on us.😎

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Whatever2020 said:

It might just be you. ☹️ I’ve been by the pool a couple times earlier and it was open. They are more likely to open the windows instead of the roof though. 

I'm sure you are right.  I don't spend much time up there as it is usually hot and muggy with the roof closed.  You have to admit it's not open much.  Lazy way is to drop down the side windows.  It creates a breeze but no sunlight.  And I personally dislike the drop down windows.  They do not provide nearly the view the floor to ceiling windows on the older ships do.  And when part open, the bottom frame of the upper window is right in my view line.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Eden is a pretty little village.  Many holiday homes and sea views.  The number one attraction, according to both Viator and TripAdvisor, is the Killer Whale Museum.  Interesting for sure.  Then stops in other coastal villages of Perimbula and Merimbula.  Merimbula was the better of the two.  Big enough for its very own McDonalds.  Mostly just shops and cafes but good for a walkabout.  Nothing like Clay's cliff march pictures...

IMG_6145.jpeg

IMG_6146.jpeg

IMG_6147.jpeg

IMG_6148.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5538.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - I hear that even the new Crystal have finally published their decision to bypass the Red Sea.

Still nothing from Viking?????

Viking is the only one not helping their passengers make new plans.  I don't know why other than they don't want to face up to the passengers.  Maybe they are delusional about being the first cruise ship to run the gauntlet?  Everyone seems to be speculating.  More than a few onboard are getting very frustrated and mad with  'Viking as they have expensive, paid for private tours to cancel but have, so far, no reason to do so.  Step up Viking.  Past time to give us some information to work with.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Viking is the only one not helping their passengers make new plans.

They really have something against telling passengers about changes in a timely fashion.  I would love to know what they’re really thinking they help by delaying.

We ran into this same unwillingness, on a much smaller scale, on In the Wake of the Vikings in September.  We knew from CC that the tender dock at L’Anse aux Meadows had been damaged, and from seeing reports here about other cruise lines skipping the port and that the tender dock was not even in the process of being fixed, which is understandable since we were one of, if not the last, port call of the season, but Viking refused to admit anything about the port change until the day before.

Granted, rerouting a whole WC is much harder, but if everyone else has managed, you’d think Viking could get their act together.  RCI is putting it to a passenger vote, for pity’s sake.  At least confirm whether you are being rerouted or not, even if they don’t have the exact ports yet.  That would let people cancel private excursions and such at the dropped ports.  

This is making me happier that DH didn’t like the itinerary for Viking’s 2026 WC, so we’ve gone with Regent.  I feel so badly for all of you left in limbo.  Fingers crossed for an announcement soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

They really have something against telling passengers about changes in a timely fashion.  I would love to know what they’re really thinking they help by delaying.

We ran into this same unwillingness, on a much smaller scale, on In the Wake of the Vikings in September.  We knew from CC that the tender dock at L’Anse aux Meadows had been damaged, and from seeing reports here about other cruise lines skipping the port and that the tender dock was not even in the process of being fixed, which is understandable since we were one of, if not the last, port call of the season, but Viking refused to admit anything about the port change until the day before.

Granted, rerouting a whole WC is much harder, but if everyone else has managed, you’d think Viking could get their act together.  RCI is putting it to a passenger vote, for pity’s sake.  At least confirm whether you are being rerouted or not, even if they don’t have the exact ports yet.  That would let people cancel private excursions and such at the dropped ports.  

This is making me happier that DH didn’t like the itinerary for Viking’s 2026 WC, so we’ve gone with Regent.  I feel so badly for all of you left in limbo.  Fingers crossed for an announcement soon.

We had this comms issue on our flooded out Rhine River cruise. 

I really hope that you get some information very soon.  🤞

• Like 1

First day in Sydney was full and fun.  Walkabout on the Rocks and met Mr. and Mrs Wavetripper at the Fortune of War for lunch.  Ambled on to the Glenmore for a few more pints but like most pub crawls you might intend to hit 4 or 5 but after a couple of good pints the ambition modifies....🍺  After a cleanup on the ship went to a cabaret style show at the Sydney Opera house.  Ok show but the walk over, while not that long, was a madhouse of people.  Circular Quay area is extremely popular and it was a pleasant Saturday night.  A great day in a fantastic port.  Today we are relocated to the rather desolate (as far as things to do) White Bay.  We have an hourly shuttle boat to the King's Wharf area so we are off to see some new stuff.😎

IMG_6151.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

First day in Sydney was full and fun.  Walkabout on the Rocks and met Mr. and Mrs Wavetripper at the Fortune of War for lunch.  Ambled on to the Glenmore for a few more pints but like most pub crawls you might intend to hit 4 or 5 but after a couple of good pints the ambition modifies....🍺  After a cleanup on the ship went to a cabaret style show at the Sydney Opera house.  Ok show but the walk over, while not that long, was a madhouse of people.  Circular Quay area is extremely popular and it was a pleasant Saturday night.  A great day in a fantastic port.  Today we are relocated to the rather desolate (as far as things to do) White Bay.  We have an hourly shuttle boat to the King's Wharf area so we are off to see some new stuff.😎

IMG_6151.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg

Question for you Jim.  We will be in the area next year for the first time, so we don't know it at all.  You mentioned there is a shuttle boat.  Are you tendered in White Bay?

4 hours ago, millybess said:

Question for you Jim.  We will be in the area next year for the first time, so we don't know it at all.  You mentioned there is a shuttle boat.  Are you tendered in White Bay?

@millybess, Jim can clarify the details, but you dock (not tender) at the White Bay Cruise Terminal. When I was last there, the shuttle boat was operated by Captain Cook, and ran from a pier west of the cruise terminal -  about a 10 minute walk. The shuttle trip was about 15 minutes. My understanding is that Captain Cook is no more, so I'm not sure if the shuttle boat is Viking-provided, or by someone else ...

It might also leave from the Balmain East ferry terminal, but that's a 45 minute walk / 10 minute taxi, so doesn't sound as if that's the case. In any event, a shuttle boat that drops you in Darling Harbour is very convenient. You can walk from DH to Circular Quay in about 20 minutes - right through the CBD. 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, millybess said:

49 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

@millybess, Jim can clarify the details, but you dock (not tender) at the White Bay Cruise Terminal. When I was last there, the shuttle boat was operated by Captain Cook, and ran from a pier west of the cruise terminal -  about a 10 minute walk. The shuttle trip was about 15 minutes. My understanding is that Captain Cook is no more, so I'm not sure if the shuttle boat is Viking-provided, or by someone else ...

It might also leave from the Balmain East ferry terminal, but that's a 45 minute walk / 10 minute taxi, so doesn't sound as if that's the case. In any event, a shuttle boat that drops you in Darling Harbour is very convenient. You can walk from DH to Circular Quay in about 20 minutes - right through the CBD. 🍺🥌

38 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Exactly what we had this morning.🍸

On all three of Sky’s days in Sydney, we were docked at White Bay and Captain Cook operated the ferry shuttle between it and Captain Cook’s berthing positions at King’s Wharf in Darling Harbour.  

The ferry left on the hour from Sky and on the half hour from King’s Wharf. Please note that while it is only a 20 minute or so walk to Circular Quay, it is up a pretty steep hill only some of which has an escalator.  We walked over in the morning to catch the Ferry to Watson’s Bay but after our death march, road the ferry from CQ back to the stop at Kings Wharf (Boolabola?).  The ferry, bus, and tram system are all very easy to use and it isn’t necessary to buy anything ahead of time.  Just make sure to “tap” on and “tap” off using a credit card or a digital wallet. 

The distance between the bow of Sky and the stern of the ferry wasn’t very much, but due to security protocols, passengers had to walk around the piers and come back into the secure area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Love Sydney.  Had a walkabout from King's Wharf and ended up in the Aquarium.  For all those who went on the penguin watch late at night and couldn't take pictures, I enclose a few shots of the small penguins at the aquarium .  

IMG_6173.jpeg

IMG_6172.jpeg

IMG_6171.jpeg

IMG_6170.jpeg

IMG_6169.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2024 at 11:07 AM, Jim Avery said:

Meeting and walkabout was excellent, the stops have lots of character and pints even better,  but as we were part of the penguins parade you definitely have the better pictures. Ha

Until next pub crawl.

Cheers 🍻

Ok, this is the last time I am going to beat this dead horse.  Clay, compare the view in the attached photo to your view on the Pool Deck of the Sky. The air coming in is nice but the view is compromised compared to the older ships floor to ceiling windows.

IMG_6194.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m not the one beating the horse. I never lay on the chaises (too low) so the view isn’t an issue for me and as long as there is air movement, I’m fine with either.  However, the roof is wide open today but it’s hotternhell out there right now.  Partially due to the blazing sun and outdoor temperature, but showboating it (10kts/hr) due to missing Mooloolaba day before yesterday isn't helpful either for creating a breeze. 

#goarguewithsomeoneelse! 😂