Back to Back Yuletide Spirit Cruises on Tauck's ms Grace

Roz

Greetings from the Philadelphia Airport where I'll be boarding the plane to take me to Amsterdam in a few hours.  I'm spending 3 days precruise in Amsterdam and then boarding the ship on December 20.  The cruise will end in Brussels on the 27th and then we'll make our way back to Amsterdam on January 3.  

I did the Amsterdam to Brussels Christmas cruise last year and had such a phenomenal time, I came home and contacted my TA and had her book me for Christmas and New Years this year.  It had never occurred to me to spend Christmas in another country.  We had a nice contingent of solo cruisers last time, along with some extended families and empty nester couples. 

I'll try to check in here periodically to let you know what we're up to.  I can't wait to see what Sinterklaas is going to leave me in my shoe. 😄

• Like 7

I did a Brussels - Amsterdam tulip cruise this year with an extra few days on each end and thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m already toying with the idea of Christmas/New Years cruise for next year so I’m looking forward to reading about your trip.

• Like 1

Arrived in Amsterdam and my driver, sent by Tauck, was waiting for me in front of Starbucks outside Arrivals Hall 4.  Whether you book your air through Tauck or independently, they will send a driver to meet you at the airport.  And not just on embarkation day.  

I'm staying at the Doubletree Centraal Station where I stayed last year.  A nice hotel, conveniently located, with a great staff who will go out of their way to help in any way.

• Like 2

I have been to Bruges in winter, back in the day when it was not quite as popular as it is now. I loved it. It is an old town like many other in Europe but it is different from "German Rhine valley old". It was very interesting to see the contrast.

notamermaid

Today's activity was a day trip to Giethoorn with a stop at the visitors center for the enclosing dike that keeps out the North Sea.  In Giethoorn we did an hour long tour of the village and lake on an electric boat.  The highlight of the day was being charged one euro for ketchup for my fries. 🤣  I don't do mayo.

@Second seating, thanks for posting the photos. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Scenic is using the Doubletree as its precruise hotel.  I spoke with some Australians at lunch who are on the cruise,  and they told me they're sailing from Amsterdam to Budapest. 

Tomorrow is embarkation day for me.  I'll pack up after breakfast; maybe work in a canal cruise before I have to check out of the hotel. 

For any solo travelers reading this thread who aren't familiar with Tauck's solo river cruise pricing,  you can sail in the lowest category of cabin with no single supplement.  Some less inclusive lines charge you double,  so you pay more and don't get as much. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roz said:

For any solo travelers reading this thread who aren't familiar with Tauck's solo river cruise pricing,  you can sail in the lowest category of cabin with no single supplement.  Some less inclusive lines charge you double,  so you pay more and don't get as much. 

I’ve been booking with Uniworld when they announce their solo specials but they’re slow this year releasing the itineraries for 2024. I may have to take a look at Tauck …

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I think that’s typical Dutch weather year round! I’ve been there 8 times and it has always rained.

It rained every single day on the cruise before mine in April, but I really lucked out. And then we had an absolutely sterling day at Keukenhof at the end of the trip. But it was just pure luck …

• Like 1

Sorry I've been MIA.  Tauck has been running us ragged, but in a good way.  This is my first opportunity to post. 

We've already had a few scheduling and docking changes due to high winds.  For example,  we stayed a 2nd night in Amsterdam instead of sailing to Schoonhoven.  This morning we had an 8 am start by bus to Gouda and The Hague.  While we were touring the ship made its way to Rotterdam where we met up with it. This points out the difficulty of booking independent tours on a river cruise.  You can't be sure of your start and end points. 

Some passengers are disappointed we haven't seen snow.  December in The Netherlands and Belgium is typically cold, windy,  and rainy.  The Dutch don't decorate a lot for Christmas,  which has been another disappointment for those expecting it to look like Germany or Austria.  

Yesterday was a guided tour at the Rijksmuseum, where I finally got to see The Night Watch without infrared equipment in front of it.  I skipped the classical music concert.  Last night's canal cruise through the Amsterdam light festival involved a treacherous, slippery walk on a wooden dock.  Getting on and off the boat was no picnic either. 

Happy Hour starts in an hour....

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Roz said:

Some passengers are disappointed we haven't seen snow.  December in The Netherlands and Belgium is typically cold, windy,  and rainy.  The Dutch don't decorate a lot for Christmas,  which has been another disappointment for those expecting it to look like Germany or Austria.  

Those are important point. If you want to see snow when visiting the Christmas markets, it is best to go to the Upper Rhine valley or the Danube in Bavaria. Our Decembers in the West of Europe in low altitudes are more often than not slightly too warm for the snow that may be falling to settle. There is no guaranteed snow below an altitude of 1000m. Good chance of it over 400m. The Rhine valley tends to be a little bit too warm and the Netherlands are a bit, you know, low.

Roz, again thank you for taking us along. I intent to link to your trip in the Christmas markets thread, I hope you do not mind.

notamermaid

• Like 1

After walking around Gouda for several hours on uneven cobblestones and bricks,  I decided to take the option that was offered to skip the tours  in The Hague, and go back to the ship that was now docked in Rotterdam.  @Second seating, the Christmas market was one of the places passengers could visit in The Hague.  I believe the CD said yesterday was the last day of the market. 

In Gouda we did a walking tour,  had lunch, and sampled stroopwafels, cheese (of course!) , and olieballen. 

This morning I opted for the trip to the Royal Delft Factory in Delft.  It was interesting and a lot of fun.  We toured the factory and then painted a tile that we took with us.  Afterwards we were treated to a lunch of tomato soup, quiche, assorted sandwiches, and fruit.  And of course shopping in the factory's gift shop. 

Tonight there will be a briefing about another change to our itinerary due to not being able to dock in Ghent and having to proceed on to Antwerp. Again,  if you're considering a river cruise,  you've got to remain flexible. The ship is at the mercy of the wind and water levels. 

• Like 2