Afternoon tea at Reid's Funchal

jake 26

We are on an Azura cruise next year marking a significant birthday which falls on the day we are in Funchal. 20 years ago we celebrated that day with Tea at the Ritz. We are thinking of booking the Tea at Reid's. We've been to Funchal quite a few times but never visited Reid's Hotel, which was one of Churchill's favourite hotels apparently.

Has anyone partaken of Tea at Reid's and how good was it as an experience?

We intend to book it online, and presume a taxi will be required to get there.

Edited by jake 26
Typo

I don't know if there might be a ship excursion for tea at Reids, but I have heard that if you are just part of a group booking you are not in the main room for aftenoon tea, but somewhere much less attractive.  So your idea of doing an individual booking would seem to be the right way to get the full works.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I don't know if there might be a ship excursion for tea at Reids, but I have heard that if you are just part of a group booking you are not in the main room for aftenoon tea, but somewhere much less attractive.  So your idea of doing an individual booking would seem to be the right way to get the full works.

Yes, thanks for your comment, I agree. We've had experience of ship group bookings before and you're right, there is not the individual experience in terms of personal service, and private table.

Hi neighbour. Reids is walkable from the cruise docks if you are a reasonable walker, but for a special occasion you might prefer to arrive in a taxi as you suggest. we hope to be overnight in Funchal in January (with umm an other cruise line) and I m still trying to get to Reids for the tea, so if we do I will report........

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sleepingcat said:

Hi neighbour. Reids is walkable from the cruise docks if you are a reasonable walker, but for a special occasion you might prefer to arrive in a taxi as you suggest. we hope to be overnight in Funchal in January (with umm an other cruise line) and I m still trying to get to Reids for the tea, so if we do I will report........

Well, thank you neighbour. We may walk it as it'll give us an appetite before and we can walk it off a bit afterwards! I look forward to your report of you manage to go.

26 minutes ago, happy v said:

Check your departure time. I was going to do this but the ship left early afternoon. The ship excursion was for 1pm. Which is far too early for tea

Agreed. Azura is scheduled for an evening departure which is normally 6pm

• Like 2

We had afternoon tea at Reids in April this year booked ourselves and it was lovely, arrive at least 30 minutes before your time to be first in through the doors when they open, they have chairs to sit in and wait, your name is taken when ready and then you can choose where to sit on the balcony as there is only so many tables outside on the balcony with beautiful views, ships excursion is in a entirely different room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have booked the afternoon tea at Reid’s for next March. There is a UK phone number on their website and I just called them and booked. Initially I booked with P&O but cancelled when I discovered we would be in a tour group designated area and not in the general area. 

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm afraid that I'm a bit late to this party.

I always book independently. I ask for a table 'On the Terrace' that overlooks the gardens and (hopefully) the ship berthed in the distance! It is open air, unlike the inside room that is given to ships' excursion parties where everyone eats together at trestle tables.

There are two 'sittings' - one at 3.00pm and the second at either 4.00 or 4.30pm (I've only ever done 3.00pm myself).

Unless you are of 'mountain goat' heritage, you will want to take a taxi TO the hotel but can walk back as gravity will be on your side.

The cheapest way to do this is take a ship's shuttle bus to the city's drop-off point and take a taxi from there to the hotel this avoiding the 'entering port area' surcharge on the taxi charge. Depending on the day, phases of the moon or anything else, expect to pay between 10 and 15 Euro one way.

If you avail yourself of all the offered 'reloads & refills' you will not want to book any specialty restaurants that night and even MDR may be a course too far.

As a further memento, there is a gift shop next floor down that sells Reid's branded goods.

Regards,

Cublet

Terrace fo Reids Hotel.jpg

Afternoon Tea at Reids 1.jpg

Edited by cublet
grammar
  • Like 9

Hello,

Re "Unless you are of 'mountain goat' heritage, you will want to take a taxi TO the hotel but can walk back as gravity will be on your side" above - the journey back can be only about 50% of the journey to Reid's BUT should NOT be attempted if any of the party is in a wheelchair or electric scooter as it will sorely test the gears and/or brakes.

The route is exit right from Reid's and follow the road 'Estrada Monumental' through the dual carriageway system until the lanes rejoin at 'Avenida do Infante', and after about 200 metres turn RIGHT down 'Rua Carvalho Araujo' - a one-way street and steep hill. At the end you will be at the roundabout at the entrance to the port.

I probably over-dress with a jacket and tie but the most recent booking confirmation said "our recommended dress code is smart casual (to preserve the timeless glamour of the afternoon tea experience, sport attire is not permitted: including t-shirts, man sandals and flip flops of any kind)"

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They used to be very funny in Hong Kong and China about women in sandals in their restaurants.  I suspect women's feet are not meant to be seen!  In one in HK we went to I was told, rudely,  not allowed but you can come in this time, to which I replied, no thanks we will go elsewhere.  They were not just cheap flipflops, but proper  leather ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Re "Unless you are of 'mountain goat' heritage, you will want to take a taxi TO the hotel but can walk back as gravity will be on your side" above - the journey back can be only about 50% of the journey to Reid's BUT should NOT be attempted if any of the party is in a wheelchair or electric scooter as it will sorely test the gears and/or brakes.

The route is exit right from Reid's and follow the road 'Estrada Monumental' through the dual carriageway system until the lanes rejoin at 'Avenida do Infante', and after about 200 metres turn RIGHT down 'Rua Carvalho Araujo' - a one-way street and steep hill. At the end you will be at the roundabout at the entrance to the port.

I probably over-dress with a jacket and tie but the most recent booking confirmation said "our recommended dress code is smart casual (to preserve the timeless glamour of the afternoon tea experience, sport attire is not permitted: including t-shirts, man sandals and flip flops of any kind)"

Regards,

Cublet

We agree ,we stayed at the Next hotel and had a room overlooking the hill and lots of people 

looked worse for wear and had to have a breather by the time they passed us going up that

hill. So if they don't want to turn up in their suitable attire ,looking possibly hot and sweaty

and out of breath, It would be a good idea to heed your advice regarding a taxi up , that is unless they are akin to a mountain goat .

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6421207,-16.9179912,3a,75y,301.39h,84.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sstYRJOmhhbX4BzXeK-WH8w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

We have walked it there and back. It is a better area around Reids than the centre of Funchal. Also some nice bars up by the carlton hotel.

I think they told us in Reids afternoon tea starts about 2.00 pm but they were fully booked for the day we were in port. They let us look round though, a lovely old fashioned place.

The afternoon tea is lovely and the view nice but make sure to specifically request a table at the front of the terrace area.

Re the steep hill a taxi is an option or if you can walk out to the main area there are usually pretty little Tuktuks as well.

• Like 1

Hello,

This is just an opinion and not based on experience but I've always thought Tuktuks were labouring on the flat never mind on how they would manage the hill to Reid's!

At one port of call they were advertised as having a weight limit and that tells you something.

Regards,

Cublet