Do Princess production shows tell a story?

thermal

I love production shows like Wicked, The Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis etc.  I love shows that tell a story and take you on a journey.  

Do Princess production shows tell a story?  I'm looking for more that a song variety show that feels like glorified karaoke.....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, thermal said:

Do Princess production shows tell a story?

Most do not. Those that do also follow a story that's more loosely strung than what you would prefer if you're strongly into Broadway productions. We won't know what you'll really feel after you watch some of them, but "glorified karaoke" could very well be one of your conclusions (I don't really feel that way about them, but that's just me).

I won't lead you to them from here, but you can find clips and recordings of Princess production shows on the internet, and they will give you a taste.

• Like 1

No, they don't tell a story (they really aren't long enough for that), but they do have themes that make them more cohesive than a variety show. 

The production standards on Princess are quite high and the performers are generally extremely talented. Calling it glorified karaoke is doing a disservice to all of those who work hard, both on and off the stage, to present quality shows.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

"The production standards on Princess are quite high and the performers are generally extremely talented. Calling it glorified karaoke is doing a disservice to all of those who work hard, both on and off the stage, to present quality shows."

Fair point.  I apologize if my question came across as disrespectful.  

• Like 10

Five Skies tells a story about trying to find the Sky Princess (character, not the ship). 

The Royal Silk tells a story about a crane and how it helped a family.  Producer is the same as Wicked.  Not sure where in the fleet this is being performed at the moment, but I last saw it on the Royal Princess earlier this year.  

I would enjoy all the production shows more if the sound engineer turned down the speaker a few decibels.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The Royal Silk

The Secret Silk* - and Royal happens to be one of the ships on which it's being performed, along with Diamond and Island, I believe.

When I read the question, I also thought of that show as well as Spotlight Bar and 5-SKIES (both on Discovery, Enchanted, Sky), which both claim to have a story as well. But there is simply not enough time in the schedule for these shows to have fully developed plots.

5-SKIES and The Secret Silk probably have the most exposition and dialogue, but no matter the case, any of the three shows that have a "plot" tell much of the story through the music. Don't expect lengthy monologues; expect high-energy numbers or high-emotion ballads to move the story along.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

The Secret Silk* - and Royal happens to be one of the ships on which it's being performed, along with Diamond and Island, I believe.

When I read the question, I also thought of that show as well as Spotlight Bar and 5-SKIES (both on Discovery, Enchanted, Sky), which both claim to have a story as well. But there is simply not enough time in the schedule for these shows to have fully developed plots.

5-SKIES and The Secret Silk probably have the most exposition and dialogue, but no matter the case, any of the three shows that have a "plot" tell much of the story through the music. Don't expect lengthy monologues; expect high-energy numbers or high-emotion ballads to move the story along.

What is the story behind Spotlight Bar?  I didn't quite follow it.... but enjoyed it nonetheless.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thermal said:

I love production shows like Wicked, The Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis etc.  I love shows that tell a story and take you on a journey.  

Do Princess production shows tell a story?  I'm looking for more that a song variety show that feels like glorified karaoke.....

Spotlight Bar, yes. 

10 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

We won't know what you'll really feel after you watch some of them, but "glorified karaoke" could very well be one of your conclusions (I don't really feel that way about them, but that's just me).

I agree.  There is an awful lot of lip syncing and auto - tune used in those shows.  We always come away feeling (when we do sit through one) that they are just a cut above a high school musical.  

They are definitely not just a cut above a high school musical .. we’ve seen some excellent performances with amazing talent and hard work!  Fiera and Magic Can Do even had very hard working and talented performers, although the shows themselves were not to my liking, even if they are on one of my future cruises, I will not be attending.  

Anyway .. the two shows that come to mind that have more of a storyline are Spotlight Bar and Secret Silk, both of which are fantastic shows by extremely talented production crews.  I also love Rock Opera but there’s not story line to this show, just great choreography, costumes, sets and incredibly talented performers.  These three shows are ones I could watch countless times!  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, strobellayjam said:

What is the story behind Spotlight Bar?  I didn't quite follow it.... but enjoyed it nonetheless.

My interpretation is of a woman who goes to work at a bar and works hard every day only to go home alone at closing time, while everyone else has found love as they leave arm in arm with others.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

My interpretation is of a woman who goes to work at a bar and works hard every day only to go home alone at closing time, while everyone else has found love as they leave arm in arm with others.  

Yes, and the show is sandwiched between Brave (where the barkeeper encourages people to be their true selves) and She Used to Be Mine (a sad song, about defeat) both by Sara Bareilles. The latter song is from Waitress.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to sailing on Discovery Princess next April. While I am disappointed there is no Vines, I hoping for good things from Take Five and looking forward to some Production Shows we haven't seen multiple ties before.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:47 PM, Thrak said:

I am looking forward to sailing on Discovery Princess next April. While I am disappointed there is no Vines, I hoping for good things from Take Five and looking forward to some Production Shows we haven't seen multiple ties before.

Thrak, we also love Vines but found the Salty Dog Gastropub bar is a very nice alternative on the Discovery.  Alan and Francis were the bartenders there and always fantastic.  
During the day, you can use the seating for the GastroPub as you would do at Vines.  Around 10 minutes to 5 PM, they would scoot you out to prepare the tables for dining.  

The Take Five bar was always so relaxing and comfortable!  

We are old time cruisers and don’t care much for the modern day production shows on most of the lines right now, way too loud and with what my DW calls dark angry singing and angry dancing.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

I haven't cruised yet but I watched a bit of the Princess shows on YouTube. I must say I was HORRIBLY disappointed in what I saw from both Princess and Celebrity. 

Someone commented that there really isn't enough time to "tell a story". I couldn't disagree more simply because DCL has production shows that TELL A STORY!!! I'm absolutely uninterested in a bunch of song and dance numbers loosely pigeonholed into a so-called show! I happen to work as a professional pianist for a very major ballet company. This doesn't mean I necessarily want or need to hear great symphonies or operas or ballets on a cruise. It DOES mean I want to be ENTERTAINED! I'm not entertained with some so-called singer or dancer screaming into a microphone while a dozen young idiots dance behind going from one monotonous, two chord pounding song to the next unrelated monotonous, two chord pounding tune!!

Who the hell makes these ridiculous decisions?? Give us a show!! Give us a story!! 

Edited by Strauss1020