Iceland...who, when, how long?

Beth and Bailey

We are going to Norway in May with RCI.  My husband really would like to do Iceland either later this year or next.

We have NO CLUE about which line to take, when to go, how long a trip.  Preferable 7-9 days with perhaps one or two before and after.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Start reading around the board. There are any number of possibilities...lots of different cruise options. 3 or 4 ports is common, and highly recommend, unless you pick a cruise that starts or ends in Iceland, giving you the opportunity to possibly do some land touring.

But I would also want to add a stop or 2 in Greenland, and Prinz Christian Sund.

1 hour ago, Beth and Bailey said:

We have NO CLUE about which line to take, when to go, how long a trip.  Preferable 7-9 days

A good starting point would be which lines you previously sailed and liked? Or disliked? Check the websites of your preferred lines for ships sailing the area and their itineraries looking for any which include both Iceland and Norway.(usually listed under Northern Europe or similar) Should you find one including both, would be good for you if it began or ended in Iceland allowing you extra days for land touring.

Summer months for Iceland and Norwegian fjord sailings, although  Norway almost year round if you want "In search of the Northern Lights itineraries"

Length of time is determined by your available time and your budget.

You may find that you cannot cover everything on your wish list on one short trip, so consider that you may want to do a second, or even third one in the following years.

And do look at past CC threads and posts for information and ideas.

And at the very top of this N. Europe and Baltic forum, is a pinned thread with many FAQs on it specifically relating to Norwegia Fjords, so that would be a good starting point.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2777857-norwegian-fjords/

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

TBH, the best way to see Iceland is by land.  It is easy to drive, or there are plenty of good tours.  The "ports" are mostly small villages with extremely limited tourist infrastructure, making you dependent on ship tours.

Consider a stopover in Iceland on the way to/from your Norway cruise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, edinburgher said:

A good starting point would be which lines you previously sailed and liked? Or disliked? Check the websites of your preferred lines for ships sailing the area and their itineraries looking for any which include both Iceland and Norway.(usually listed under Northern Europe or similar) Should you find one including both, would be good for you if it began or ended in Iceland allowing you extra days for land touring.

Summer months for Iceland and Norwegian fjord sailings, although  Norway almost year round if you want "In search of the Northern Lights itineraries"

Length of time is determined by your available time and your budget.

You may find that you cannot cover everything on your wish list on one short trip, so consider that you may want to do a second, or even third one in the following years.

And do look at past CC threads and posts for information and ideas.

And at the very top of this N. Europe and Baltic forum, is a pinned thread with many FAQs on it specifically relating to Norwegia Fjords, so that would be a good starting point.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2777857-norwegian-fjords/

We are going to Norway for a 7 day cruise in May on RCI.  I have sailed primarily with Royal with an occasional Princess.  I did sail MSC in the middle east.  Sadly it was an older ship and I didn't like it, but know the newer ships offer some great amenities.  So I'm more looking for personal experiences, I don't care the line.  Just would prefer not to do Norway again, but seem something new..  I am doing my homework in checking, but again like to hear what the people think.

13 hours ago, ljandgb said:

TBH, the best way to see Iceland is by land.  It is easy to drive, or there are plenty of good tours.  The "ports" are mostly small villages with extremely limited tourist infrastructure, making you dependent on ship tours.

Consider a stopover in Iceland on the way to/from your Norway cruise.

If you fly Icelandair to Norway, you can have a free layover in Iceland for (I think) up to a week.  That is how we made our first trip to Iceland, as a 6 day layover there on our way to Europe.  Two for the price of one!

22 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Just would prefer not to do Norway again, but seem something new

Suggesting you look at Azamara itineraries as they do a number of itineraries which are "? country intensive" so  I tried googling "Iceland intensive itineraries" and Azamara popped up in the results with different lengths of itineraries.

I expect there will also  be other lines with similar itinerariess although some may include a Norwegian port or two which would be new to you, or even consider including Greenland which is really quite unique, as you will be in that geographical area anyway..........

6 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Suggesting you look at Azamara itineraries as they do a number of itineraries which are "? country intensive" so  I tried googling "Iceland intensive itineraries" and Azamara popped up in the results with different lengths of itineraries.

I expect there will also  be other lines with similar itinerariess although some may include a Norwegian port or two which would be new to you, or even consider including Greenland which is really quite unique, as you will be in that geographical area anyway..........

Oh I think Greenland would be wonderful.  I'll check out Azamara.  Thanks much!

27 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Oh I think Greenland would be wonderful.  I'll check out Azamara.  Thanks much!

Have you considered Viking Ocean Cruises? Scandinavia is “their” territory and they have excellent cruises in this area, especially Norway.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

I will check them too but as I recall they are very expensive.  

They include an excursion in each port, so price that in. 

I actually haven’t found any particularly good Norway cruises with Viking Ocean. I found they didn’t go to enough of the places that I really wanted to see. 

On 12/24/2023 at 9:12 AM, gnome12 said:

They include an excursion in each port, so price that in. 

I actually haven’t found any particularly good Norway cruises with Viking Ocean. I found they didn’t go to enough of the places that I really wanted to see. 

Goodness, I respectfully disagree with you. Except for the Hurtigruten line I don’t know of another cruise line that goes to as many stops in Norway as Viking.  After all, the line is Norwegian owned.  Viking is more expensive than some other lines, but remember, it includes one excursion in each port, free beer and  wine with meals, all of your entertainment, no additional charge for the special restaurants, no “nickel and diming”, adults only, etc. Everyone looks for something different, we prefer Viking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Goodness, I respectfully disagree with you. Except for the Hurtigruten line I don’t know of another cruise line that goes to as many stops in Norway as Viking.  After all, the line is Norwegian owned.  Viking is more expensive than some other lines, but remember, it includes one excursion in each port, free beer and  wine with meals, all of your entertainment, no additional charge for the special restaurants, no “nickel and diming”, adults only, etc. Everyone looks for something different, we prefer Viking.

It wasn’t the number of ports, it was the particular ones that I was interested in. 

On 12/23/2023 at 5:21 PM, Beth and Bailey said:

I will check them too but as I recall they are very expensive.  

Yes, Viking Ocean is on the spendy side. Also, full payment is due a year before the cruise which we do not care for and why I cancelled with them.

In June 2023, we did a Norway and Iceland cruise on the Sky Princess. Princess is not perfect but it has become our cruise line of choice.

As far as a land tour goes, just also know that Iceland is EXPENSIVE!!!!! I mean YIKES! However, we really enjoyed our shore excursions except one which was horrid.

Iceland doesn't have to be expensive.  Easy to save money if you camp (tent or RV).  Even if you don't, we averaged $225/night for real hotels (plus one crazy expensive Yurt) 4 years ago, and averaged under $100/day for the two of us to eat three meals.  All lodging except one included b'fast, and lunch was at a picnic table with treats from the great bakeries and grocery stores.  Sandwiches, fruit, etc weren't double what we pay at home.

Dinners ranged from $40 for the two of us to $150 at one splurge.

39 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Iceland doesn't have to be expensive.  Easy to save money if you camp (tent or RV).  Even if you don't, we averaged $225/night for real hotels (plus one crazy expensive Yurt) 4 years ago, and averaged under $100/day for the two of us to eat three meals.  All lodging except one included b'fast, and lunch was at a picnic table with treats from the great bakeries and grocery stores.  Sandwiches, fruit, etc weren't double what we pay at home.

Things may have changed since then. From what we saw, you would be lucky to get a hamburger for $10.00 at a fast food place. A cup of coffee or hot chocolate was about $6.00.

However, it of course depends on how you want to experience the areas.

Just now, nini said:

Things may have changed since then. From what we saw, you would be lucky to get a hamburger for $10.00 at a fast food place. A cup of coffee or hot chocolate was about $6.00.

However, it of course depends on how you want to experience the areas.

You'd never catch me at a "Fast Food place" in Iceland!

We don't drink, so a dinner with 2 $40 entrees (no tipping) easily got us under our budget.  The water is delicious.  Sometimes sacrifices must be made to afford unique splurges like Into the Volcano, which was SO expensive but totally worth it.

2 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

You'd never catch me at a "Fast Food place" in Iceland!

We don't drink, so a dinner with 2 $40 entrees (no tipping) easily got us under our budget.  The water is delicious.  Sometimes sacrifices must be made to afford unique splurges like Into the Volcano, which was SO expensive but totally worth it.

We feel the same. We do not even spend our tie or money at fast food places at home. Everywhere we went on our tour this last June was so very frightfully expensive. And that was IF they had room for you and could actually handle tourists. This was a major problem in some ports.

Just now, nini said:

We feel the same. We do not even spend our tie or money at fast food places at home. Everywhere we went on our tour this last June was so very frightfully expensive. And that was IF they had room for you and could actually handle tourists. This was a major problem in some ports.

With a group tour you don't always have the freedom you get with a self drive.  We did a tiny bit of research on TripAdvisor of dinner restaurants in or near our lodging, knowing we could always get a sandwich or a hotdog at the gas station/convenience stores/community centers if we were delayed.  Other than in Reykjavik and one place in Isafjordur (NOT Tjorhusid) we've never waited to get into our chosen restaurant in Iceland, and that's with 31 nights under our belts (so far)

55 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

We are cruising.  I'll bet prices are significantly higher now than 4 years ago though.  Different world post covid.

Lets talk about stopovers.  When flying between the USA and much of Europe, it is often possible to book air with Icelandic Air and include a multi-day (or week) stopover in Reykjavik.  In mDriviost cases there will be no additional cost (for the air) and Icelandic is actually a reasonably priced airline.  As to Iceland, you can arrange (through the airline or on many web sites) various self-driving tours that take you around Iceland.  Driving in Iceland is quite easy as there is very little traffic (outside of Reykjavik and they do drive on the right.  

Over the years, as very independent travelers/cruisers, we have enjoyed taking advantage to stopover deals.  Both Iceland (with Icelandic Air) and Ireland (Aer Lingus) make these kind of trip extensions a great deal since there is seldom any additional cost to air (versus flying direct to and from Europe).  

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Lets talk about stopovers.  When flying between the USA and much of Europe, it is often possible to book air with Icelandic Air and include a multi-day (or week) stopover in Reykjavik.  In mDriviost cases there will be no additional cost (for the air) and Icelandic is actually a reasonably priced airline.  As to Iceland, you can arrange (through the airline or on many web sites) various self-driving tours that take you around Iceland.  Driving in Iceland is quite easy as there is very little traffic (outside of Reykjavik and they do drive on the right.  

Over the years, as very independent travelers/cruisers, we have enjoyed taking advantage to stopover deals.  Both Iceland (with Icelandic Air) and Ireland (Aer Lingus) make these kind of trip extensions a great deal since there is seldom any additional cost to air (versus flying direct to and from Europe).  

Hank

We have flown Iceland Air and agree it is reasonably priced, but when booking them one should be aware that they do not provide a free meal even when flying transatlantic.

I think the meal pricing is somewhere in the middle. We were there in May for a 5 day self drive trip. Eating out was around $25/person for casual fare, $60+/person for nicer restaurants. Self catering, which we did the most of by far, was $13/person (and that included a boat load of snacks - we went  thru a tub of salmon dip every day.) 

Being on a ship tour, you will be at the mercy of where they take you, especially because there are limited options in most of those ports. We found our least favorite restaurants were at the main tourist points, where bus loads of people show up. Go just a few miles down the road and the options were better. 

One more reason to do Iceland as a land tour. 😉