Great experience with Princess Insurance

Nebr.cruiser

I often hear so many bad things about cruise insurance, so I'd like to share the good experience we just had.  

We were booked on a 19 night cruise from LA to Santiago (San Antonio) Chile.  My husband began having severe pain in his leg, a sciatica type pain.  He needed crutches to get around at all.  After many dr. visits, 4 epidurals, many chiropractic treatments, medicines, etc., he has graduated to a cane but can't walk far or for more than 5 minutes or so without pain.

We purchased the Platinum cancel for any reason insurance, which we get for half price, due to being Platinum. We waited as long as possible, hoping that his leg would improve enough that we could go, but reluctantly cancelled six days out.

I sent in all the required materials online and heard back a few days later that it was approved.  Today we received our funds, the entire cruise refunded except, of course, the insurance payment.  

It took a bit to get all the paperwork together and even longer (nothing to do with the insurance company!) to manage to get my old scanner to work on my new computer, but once all the legwork was done, it could not have gone easier.

They requested a form filled out by the doctor, full itinerary and invoice from our travel agent and proof of credit card payments.  Princess had already refunded our taxes, fees and port charges.  All we are out as of now is the cost of a pre-cruise hotel, which I may get back from our credit card travel insurance.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for reporting in.  I believe you got the Platinum PVP for the price of standard.  I'm not sure if it is twice as much.  Regardless, I always make my sisters purchase Platinum.  AON has been good for me too.

• Like 3

Thank you for posting!

These types of posts are always good to hear, and it sure beats the negative "princess didn't give me my blue tote bag " posts......I hope your husband is doing well!....and Merry Christmas to your family....

• Like 5

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for reporting in.  I believe you got the Platinum PVP for the price of standard.  I'm not sure if it is twice as much.  Regardless, I always make my sisters purchase Platinum.  AON has been good for me too.

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You are right, of course.  I believe it was only $128 pp.  So worth the price!  We had an awesome price on this cruise, but it was still slightly over $3000.

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Agreed...you get it for the same price as the standard ...not 50% off (IF you are Platinum tier level). 

We ALWAYS get the Platinum insurance.  When you look at all the possible ways that things can go sideways it just doesn't make sense to be penny-wise and pound foolish.  There are WAY too many bad stories here on CC about incidents that took place and they DID NOT have insurance.  Don't be one of those people!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 3

We also appreciated the Cancel for Any Reason waiver -- had to reluctantly cancel our Quebec to FLL cruise this fall due to DH having a cardiac procedure scheduled for less than 2 weeks after we would have gotten home. Procedure would have been re-scheduled if he was diagnosed with Covid within 21 days of it, and we just didn't want to take that chance. Since our cancellation wasn't strictly due to medical reason, we got the balance of the fare as FCC. We promptly applied the FCC and the returned fare to a February cruise, which we are determined to take!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I discovered that a medical incident that happen when I was out of the United States was 100% covered by my medical insurance company. I still purchase PVP.  8% is worth the peace of mind.

same with me when I fell on REGAL - AON also picked up the deductibles from my aftercare from the Emergency Department and my Cardiologist.

Waiting to see when I file a current claim with AON as to what they will cover besides my cruise fare when I fell and broke a couple of bones near my ankle 5 days before a Halloween cruise a couple of months ago - wondering about Emergency Department copay,hospital stay co-pay, RX co-pay, surgeon co-pay, etc , medical equipment advised for home health care, etc ... all paid out of pocket so far.

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

same with me when I fell on REGAL - AON also picked up the deductibles from my aftercare from the Emergency Department and my Cardiologist.

Waiting to see when I file a current claim with AON as to what they will cover besides my cruise fare when I fell and broke a couple of bones near my ankle 5 days before a Halloween cruise a couple of months ago - wondering about Emergency Department copay,hospital stay co-pay, RX co-pay, surgeon co-pay, etc , medical equipment advised for home health care, etc ... all paid out of pocket so far.

I thought insurance began with embarkation or EZ Air.  I know they will cover trip interruption, but unlikely 5 days before the cruise. Maybe FCC but probably not medical. 

• 2 weeks later...

We only had to use the Princess insurance once, for a non-covered reason. It worked exactly as it should. We got the credit to account quickly and applied that to another cruise. 

• Thanks 1