Live from the Viking Sky (Ft Lauderdale to London) December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024

Penspack

59 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

The conflict in the Red Sea appears to be widening. How will that affect the WC itinerary? Any word from the ship?

Torstein said the decision to go into the Red Sea or to go around Africa happens in Mumbai 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Pappri said:

Torstein said the decision to go into the Red Sea or to go around Africa happens in Mumbai 

That's interesting.  Did Mr. Torstein say what ports might be included if you go around?

7 minutes ago, millybess said:

That's interesting.  Did Mr. Torstein say what ports might be included if you go around?

Nope.  I’m not sure how many days it takes to go around Africa and be in London on May 6.  Mumbai is on days 100-102 so that leaves 36 days to get to London.  Hopefully that means we would have ports we could stop at, otherwise that’s a bunch of sea days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pappri said:

Nope.  I’m not sure how many days it takes to go around Africa and be in London on May 6.  Mumbai is on days 100-102 so that leaves 36 days to get to London.  Hopefully that means we would have ports we could stop at, otherwise that’s a bunch of sea days.

Distance from Mumbai to London via the cape is about 11,150 n/mls. 

At 18.5 kts, it requires 25 days and 3 hrs steaming, with an additional hour for departure and about an extra 6 hrs for arrival Greenwich. Therefore, total time berth to mooring buoys is 25 days 10 hrs.

You also need to factor time differences, with Mumbai being Z+ 5:30 year round. In May, UK is on BST, which is Z+1. so the cloxs move back 4;30 during the transit.

Therefore, on a continuous sailing, the ship requires 25 days 5.5 hrs of transit time. Being unable to sail that length of voyage without bunkers and victuals, I'll suggest they will require at least 2 stops for bunkers and stores. With stops requiring additional distance, berthing, etc you will probably require about 28 days for the transit, so they would have 8 additional days to spare.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Distance from Mumbai to London via the cape is about 11,150 n/mls. 

At 18.5 kts, it requires 25 days and 3 hrs steaming, with an additional hour for departure and about an extra 6 hrs for arrival Greenwich. Therefore, total time berth to mooring buoys is 25 days 10 hrs.

You also need to factor time differences, with Mumbai being Z+ 5:30 year round. In May, UK is on BST, which is Z+1. so the cloxs move back 4;30 during the transit.

Therefore, on a continuous sailing, the ship requires 25 days 5.5 hrs of transit time. Being unable to sail that length of voyage without bunkers and victuals, I'll suggest they will require at least 2 stops for bunkers and stores. With stops requiring additional distance, berthing, etc you will probably require about 28 days for the transit, so they would have 8 additional days to spare.

@Heidi13 I was hoping you were still lurking on here to answer that question.  Which 8 or so ports would you think Viking would choose?  I guess we could hit more if we did some drive by 8-12 hour stops instead of staying overnight.

21 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Found these size medium ladies unmentionables on our deck five port side balcony, they won’t fit us and we don’t have a receipt so can’t return them for a store credit😂 so if they are yours, please let us know. 

IMG_9882.jpeg

This made me remember an old Grey's Anatomy episode - really old - where Bailey finds a pair of Meredith's unmentionables and tacks them to the bulletin board in the hospital corridor.   Is there a bulletin board somewhere near by? 😊

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Pappri said:

@Heidi13 I was hoping you were still lurking on here to answer that question.  Which 8 or so ports would you think Viking would choose?  I guess we could hit more if we did some drive by 8-12 hour stops instead of staying overnight.

That's an excellent question, with key factors possibly being:

- breaking up long stretches of sea days.

- loading reasonably priced bunkers, as the price can vary significantly by port

- where they can pick up stores, replacement crew, guest entertainers, etc.

I'm going to assume that Cape Town would be a definite port, so the Mumbai to Cape Town  leg requires about 10 - 11 days steaming. I'll suggest at least 1 port is required to break up those sea days.

- Seychelles is fairly close to the mid point and is a minimal deviation from the direct route, so my crystal ball thinks Seychelles is an option, if they have space.

- Mauritius requires a deviation from the direct route, but would split the remaining days to Cape Town, so it is a possibility.

- Madagascar is possible, but I don't follow that area, so not aware of potential security issues.

- Durban is also a potential stop, as they could offer tours driving along the coastal route to rejoin in Cape Town

After Cape Town:

- they could stop in Namibia (Walvis Bay)

- then I'll suggest the next potential port is Cape Verde islands, which is about 10 days from Cape Town, or 8 from Namibia.

- Next islands would be Gran Canaria/Tenerife

More options are then available, possibly

- Cassablanca

- Gibraltar/Cadiz

- Porto/Lisbon

- Le Havre/Dover

- Greenwich

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

- loading reasonably priced bunkers, as the price can vary significantly by port

I'm going to assume that Cape Town would be a definite port, so the Mumbai to Cape Town  leg requires about 10 - 11 days steaming. I'll suggest at least 1 port is required to break up those sea days.

- Seychelles is fairly close to the mid point and is a minimal deviation from the direct route, so my crystal ball thinks Seychelles is an option, if they have space.

- Mauritius requires a deviation from the direct route, but would split the remaining days to Cape Town, so it is a possibility.

- Madagascar is possible, but I don't follow that area, so not aware of potential security issues.

- Durban is also a potential stop, as they could offer tours driving along the coastal route to rejoin in Cape Town

After Cape Town:

- then I'll suggest the next potential port is Cape Verde islands, which is about 10 days from Cape Town, or 8 from Namibia.

- Cassablanca

- Gibraltar/Cadiz

- Porto/Lisbon

- Le Havre/Dover

- Greenwich

You have given some superb choices for the probable changes, if need be.

All these choices especially the ones before  Cape Town are ports I would definitely enjoy a second time around. The approach in early morning into Cape Town with the 'tablecloth' lifting is as impressive as Sydney in a different way.

Thank you to Steve & Debby and Eddie& Denise  for the blogs.

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

100% agree with Andy.

The options sound really exciting!  It almost makes us wish we hadn't cancelled.  We can hardly wait to find out what's in store for you.

Enjoy!😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

After Cape Town:

- Cassablanca

- Gibraltar/Cadiz

- Porto/Lisbon

- Le Havre/Dover

- Greenwich

Yep, on our 2019 WC these are the things we did going around both capes (on purpose).  Cape Town was wonderful. Loved Madagascar.  Namibia and Dakar not so much.  N. Africa is a big draw.  Loved the Canary Islands.  I’d say there is plenty to keep you busy.  And some have been clamoring for a re-do of  our 2019 cruise for some time.  The World is your oyster and lemons to Lemonade!.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 4

On 1/10/2024 at 7:53 PM, SantaFe1 said:

And Gift of Rain is one of my favorites!  And I agree, In a Sunburned Country is hilarious!  Read it before our WC

Thanks for that.  I looked at Gift of Rain and have downloaded it onto my Kindle.  It looks very interesting.

1 minute ago, millybess said:

Thanks for that.  I looked at Gift of Rain and have downloaded it onto my Kindle.  It looks very interesting.

His next book, Gardens of the Evenings Mists, is also wonderful.   He is just such a lyrical writer.  Although there are some terrible atrocities in these books.

• Like 1

Just now, SantaFe1 said:

His next book, Gardens of the Evenings Mists, is also wonderful.   He is just such a lyrical writer.  Although there are some terrible atrocities in these books.

Yes, I read the reviews of Gift of Rain and expect the atrocities unfortunately.  Thanks for the info on Gardens of the Evenings Mists.  I will look for that.  I'm glad you like this writer.  I think I will too.  

• Like 1

Just now, Clay Clayton said:

Yeah, those aren’t them.  😢

So sad.  I tried the ones you liked a couple of years ago.  I picked one up on my way to breakfast in the WC everyday.  Very delicious.

Have you tried the new ones yet?  I will be interested in your take.  Yeah, I know, there's no comparison.  But still, is it better than nothing?

2 minutes ago, millybess said:

Yes, I read the reviews of Gift of Rain and expect the atrocities unfortunately.  Thanks for the info on Gardens of the Evenings Mists.  I will look for that.  I'm glad you like this writer.  I think I will too.  

I think Garden of Evening Mists is even harder to read.  But just lovely. I try to read these books in tandem every five years or so.  

To all those who were going to play LCR today, my apologies!  We came back to the room since I was tired of fighting to stay upright and we let the time slipping us.  I am soooo sorry!  

Next sea day should be Monday after Honolulu-4pm, hope you’ll join us and we will figure out how often we want to play moving forward. 

Again my apologies!

IMG_9833.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton

2 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I think Garden of Evening Mists is even harder to read.  But just lovely. I try to read these books in tandem every five years or so.  

Do you mean harder to read because of empathy for the situation? 

Just now, millybess said:

So sad.  I tried the ones you liked a couple of years ago.  I picked one up on my way to breakfast in the WC everyday.  Very delicious.

Have you tried the new ones yet?  I will be interested in your take.  Yeah, I know, there's no comparison.  But still, is it better than nothing?

Haven’t yet.  I’m hopeful that my request for the old ones may result in some appearing🤞