14 types of people who should not cruise

ontheweb

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I think you should stick to speaking for yourself on this one.  I don't drink and my enjoyment of cruises is not dependent on the consumption of alcohol or alcohol-related activities or pastimes.

I always speak to myself. I said that people who don't drink can cruise, did you missed that?

How do you spend a typical cruiseday?

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 1:43 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Idubs - See my response above to that.  I do not believe cruise ships - in particular the newer ones - are harming the environment nearly as much as the 10's of 1,000's of commercial freighters, tankers, and other similar vessels on the high seas.  The math just doesn't support the environmental harm argument IMO.

If you are only talking about things like fuel, then I agree. But cruise ships generate much more trash than tankers and freighters which don't have hundreds to thousands of passengers.

15 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I read the article.  It is a combination of total stupidity with a total lack of any usefulness.  It has not redeeming value at all.It was a waste of 5 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

DON

The article was meant for people who have never cruised and might be considering it. It is very useful to them. 

The article also has redeeming value for cruisers. Who wants to be stuck on a boat with a socially-awkward, dieting, unmarried teetotaler who is welded to her smartphone, constantly sea sick, obsessively punctual and complains about short port visits? The cruising experience will be much enhanced if such people read this article and avoid cruising entirely. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I read the article.  It is a combination of total stupidity with a total lack of any usefulness.  It has not redeeming value at all.It was a waste of 5 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

DON

I just read the article  It is silly

Try cruising then write an article  lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MacMadame said:

If you are only talking about things like fuel, then I agree. But cruise ships generate much more trash than tankers and freighters which don't have hundreds to thousands of passengers.

No more cumulative trash than land based resorts.  And there are very strict guidelines on how this trash is handled on board with segregated recycling and clean burn incineration. The cruise lines, for the most part, are very responsible in this effort or face rather stiff fines in consequence. 

And even with your valid point, there are still almost 300 times as many commercial ships as cruise ships as sea, which IMO still has to be considered in scale with any environmental concern. 

The cruise industry is very regulated when it comes to environmental impact and for the most part I believe they do a very respectable job with this.  My opinion with this entire discussion is that most conversation and criticism of the cruise lines don't do so in full context or always with accurate information.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MacMadame said:

And tankers and freighters provide an essential useful purpose while cruise ships, when it comes right down to it, are mere self-indulgence.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is the fascination of drinking alcohol ?I could never understand that .

I don't see any fascination of it but if I shall cruise without being bored alcohol is a part of it. I can easily spend a few hours in a lounge drinking Champagne but without drinking that should be very boring, for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't see any fascination of it but if I shall cruise without being bored alcohol is a part of it. I can easily spend a few hours in a lounge drinking Champagne but without drinking that should be very boring, for me.

Boring for me is not having the opportunity to converse with people.

Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't cruise anymore.  The only three that I don't agree with are that I drink (not much, but maybe a drink or 3 during the cruise), I don't get seasick and I probably could do without Internet (since I get it free, I don't worry).   <insert LOTS of sarcasm>

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Boring for me is not having the opportunity to converse with people.

We don't cruise to meet new people but I agree with you that conversations with people is an important part of the experience. If I didn't drink I should easily be bored if sitting in a lounge and then I should miss many opportunities to converse but if I drink Champagne I can sit there the whole day and increase my opportunities for conversations.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The lounges on the Prima generally had music. We sat there without drinking and listened without being bored.

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The lounges on the Prima generally had music. We sat there without drinking and listened without being bored.

On the cruises I have been on there has been music in the lounges for some time but the main part of the day there is no live music and then it can be boring, I think.

14 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

We don't cruise to meet new people but I agree with you that conversations with people is an important part of the experience. If I didn't drink I should easily be bored if sitting in a lounge and then I should miss many opportunities to converse but if I drink Champagne I can sit there the whole day and increase my opportunities for conversations.

I am an author and many of my writings have been based on people I meet .

• Like 2