Non-Refundable Deposit Cancellation Questions

bnurick

Looking for some help. We have a booking December 2024 non-refundable in concierge class. The non-refundable deposit is $900. It reads cancellation is $100 per person (2 of us) charge so $200.

1. If we cancel, do we get a FCC for $700?
2. We have an upcoming January 2024 cruise, can we book onboard, use the FCC and receive the onboard booking OBC?

3. When rebooking, can we do a refundable ticket and if so, how does it work using FCC?

Thank you in advance.  Merry Xmas!

When did you book the December 2024 cruise?  They changed the deposit policy in the last year.  Currently, non-refundable is truly non-refundable.  The only time the $100 per person fee comes into play is if you want to change the date of your cruise.  They are no longer issuing FCC for a cancellation.

But if you booked before the change in policy, then you would be entitled to FCC in the amount of the deposit less $100 per person.  You will likely have to specifically ask for this FCC when you cancel to remind them of the previous policy.

1 minute ago, prmssk said:

When did you book the December 2024 cruise?  They changed the deposit policy in the last year.  Currently, non-refundable is truly non-refundable.  The only time the $100 per person fee comes into play is if you want to change the date of your cruise.  They are no longer issuing FCC for a cancellation.

But if you booked before the change in policy, then you would be entitled to FCC in the amount of the deposit less $100 per person.  You will likely have to specifically ask for this FCC when you cancel to remind them of the previous policy.

Recently booked, after the change. Thank you.

The 25% after May 28, 2023 doesn't seem right unless that is maybe less than $900?  I'm assuming your booking date was May 27 or 28?  The 25% would be the total cruise fare minus Taxes/Fees as they get refunded.

This is one reason I always have reservations which I book onboard so I only have $200 deposit at risk.  If I'm not sure if I will take the particular sailing I make it a refundable fare so I can move it to another date without charge.  At that time I can change it to NRD if I want and still keep the $200 deposit.

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

The 25% after May 28, 2023 doesn't seem right unless that is maybe less than $900?  I'm assuming your booking date was May 27 or 28?  The 25% would be the total cruise fare minus Taxes/Fees as they get refunded.

This is one reason I always have reservations which I book onboard so I only have $200 deposit at risk.  If I'm not sure if I will take the particular sailing I make it a refundable fare so I can move it to another date without charge.  At that time I can change it to NRD if I want and still keep the $200 deposit.

So, the booking date was May 28, 2023. The 25% on the invoice says Sept. 24, 2024. It also says there is a $100 change fee per person for ship or sail date changes. Guess we will be booking a new itinerary as opposed to cancelling. We have a 2025 Alaska cruise picked out, can we do a refundable deposit on the new one?

10 minutes ago, bnurick said:

So, the booking date was May 28, 2023. The 25% on the invoice says Sept. 24, 2024. It also says there is a $100 change fee per person for ship or sail date changes. Guess we will be booking a new itinerary as opposed to cancelling. We have a 2025 Alaska cruise picked out, can we do a refundable deposit on the new one?

Keep your booking number and move it to another cruise. I would do this on your January cruise and see what the options are. The best option usually is going with the $100 per person non refundable because the price will be lower. They should apply the $700 to lower your cruise cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bnurick said:

Actually no, once a reservation is set to NRD it can't be changed to refundable.   I just changed a sail date recently and they didn't collect the $100 pp at the time of change.  They just added a line item to each passenger on the new invoice.

If you have a refundable reservation you can swap to a NRD fare at any time including when changing ship/sail date but not the reverse.

• Thanks 1

My experience has been if you booked prior to the new non-refundable credit rules You would be charged $100 pp and receive a credit back to your credit card of the remaining $800 if cancelled prior to Final Payment .   The only time the 25%, 50% etc come into play is if you cancel after final payment.

If I recall correctly the FCC's were issued during the Covid Rules if you cancelled at anytime prior to 48 hours.

To make sure of your options I would call Celebrity or ask your Agent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Actually no, once a reservation is set to NRD it can't be changed to refundable.   I just changed a sail date recently and they didn't collect the $100 pp at the time of change.  They just added a line item to each passenger on the new invoice.

This is exactly what just happened to us.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Currently onboard and asked to change the non-refundable sailing. After the Future Cruise Desk booked another cruise, they made a new booking refundable with full deposit. The next day (today) they worked with shoreside and added my original non-refundable deposit, less $200, towards the refundable booking deposit, making it larger than the minimum. So now we have a new itinerary, it’s refundable and we burnt $200 in date change fees. Kinda feel this was a thank you for a B2B I booked first.

On 12/25/2023 at 2:36 PM, wrk2cruise said:

If you have a refundable reservation you can swap to a NRD fare at any time including when changing ship/sail date but not the reverse.

Aren't you risking the Non-Refundable rate could be higher when you decide to "lock in" at a non-refundable rate? (Compared to of you booking NRD originally).

19 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

Aren't you risking the Non-Refundable rate could be higher when you decide to "lock in" at a non-refundable rate? (Compared to of you booking NRD originally).

Yes, but my kids are unreliable and cancelation and walking away have become real realities. As a side note, I believe fares will decrease as the wealth effect gets hit later this year. Just a side note opinion.

The only option to save some of your funds is to pay the 200 change fee and rebook a new cruise at the time of cancellation. Otherwise you lose everything. Note that the new booking is also non-refundable and any further changes in sailing date or ship will result in additional $100 pp change fee. 

sounds like the future cruise consultants got it sorted for you which is great. Glad to see they have some power to fix things. 

On 12/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, wrk2cruise said:

Fun story. You can technically change to the refundable price but the reservation will remain non-refundable and subject to change fees. Once had a TA mess this up before I became a TA myself and it was a royal mess. 

8 hours ago, zgscl said:

The only option to save some of your funds is to pay the 200 change fee and rebook a new cruise at the time of cancellation. Otherwise you lose everything. Note that the new booking is also non-refundable and any further changes in sailing date or ship will result in additional $100 pp change fee. 

sounds like the future cruise consultants got it sorted for you which is great. Glad to see they have some power to fix things. 

Fun story. You can technically change to the refundable price but the reservation will remain non-refundable and subject to change fees. Once had a TA mess this up before I became a TA myself and it was a royal mess. 

Obviously, I am onboard. The Future Cruise Desk booked a new refundable reservation and then called shoreside the next day to have the amount less $200 added to the listed deposit amount. Are you saying that our reservation is now not refundable? I guess I can get online and do a ‘mock’ cancellation and see what happens. Any insight would be appreciated.

15 hours ago, bnurick said:

Obviously, I am onboard. The Future Cruise Desk booked a new refundable reservation and then called shoreside the next day to have the amount less $200 added to the listed deposit amount. Are you saying that our reservation is now not refundable? I guess I can get online and do a ‘mock’ cancellation and see what happens. Any insight would be appreciated.

If they booked a new reservation with a refundable deposit it should be OK, the only thing is if you cancel I would suspect you may lose the $700 so I would probably just change to another refundable deposit sailing if you need to make any changes. 

Sorry to piggy-back, but I have never even looked at Celebrity cruise options until recently.  Do they ever offer refundable deposit specials?  There's an additional $759 for me to book our possible cruise with a refundable deposit, but I'll wait if Celebrity has certain times of the year where they offer actual refundable deposit sales.  I can't risk a non-refundable deposit ($500) booking for 2025, because that's way too far away.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 8:54 AM, MississippiMom said:

Sorry to piggy-back, but I have never even looked at Celebrity cruise options until recently.  Do they ever offer refundable deposit specials?  There's an additional $759 for me to book our possible cruise with a refundable deposit, but I'll wait if Celebrity has certain times of the year where they offer actual refundable deposit sales.  I can't risk a non-refundable deposit ($500) booking for 2025, because that's way too far away.

Thanks!

Never seen a sale on refundable deposits.