New Princess App available

iamaqt2

So my wife and I are taking my sons on an Alaska cruise with Princess. My sons are 20 and 17 years old. We got two staterooms next to each other and have a few questions.

My agent booked us two staterooms next to each other. My wife and one son in one room and me and my other in the next stateroom, joined by a balcony. We plan on letting the boys sleep together and my wife and I sleep together. My question is, when we get on board, how will that work? Will one of my sons have to go through our stateroom to get to the other? We have balcony staterooms so conceivably that could work. But would love for there be a better option. Would we just switch medallions when we get on board? Will that get us in trouble?

The Princess Cruise app is extremely glitchy. Rarely have I been able to complete any steps without it crashing on my iphone. Is there a better alternative? I've read that Princess Cruise phone people are not very helpful either. I've read this is a chronic problem that has been around for years, but we've never cruised with Princess before, so I'm kinda wondering if we made a mistake. 

Any help would be appreciated!!

chip

I don’t understand why your TA put the minors in separate cabins. At those ages and proximity of staterooms that should not be a problem. You should be able to move people around. If you are taking a plus package you have more options that way. Is your agent a TA or a Princess CVP ?  I would think a good CVP should be able to straighten this out in advance. You can always get your medallions reset for different staterooms but if you have packages you may also be able to save some money on rearranging people 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, memoak said:

I don’t understand why your TA put the minors in separate cabins. At those ages and proximity of staterooms that should not be a problem. You should be able to move people around. If you are taking a plus package you have more options that way. Is your agent a TA or a Princess CVP ?  I would think a good CVP should be able to straighten this out in advance. You can always get your medallions reset for different staterooms but if you have packages you may also be able to save some money on rearranging people 

This is spot on.

Your sons are old enough that you should be able to book them into one stateroom and you and your DW in the other. That way if you book a package, you only need to do it for yourself and DW. Regardless, you can have guest services make the medallions for all 4 of you have access to both staterooms if that is what you desire.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2024 at 4:23 PM, memoak said:

don’t understand why your TA put the minors in separate cabins. At those ages and proximity of staterooms that should not be a problem.

On 4/30/2024 at 3:44 PM, chipymunk said:

Any help would be appreciated!!

While we on the chat may agree that 20 seems "old enough", Princess has always had the policy that someone in a cabin must be 21 at least for as long as I remember.   Formerly had to do the same thing, ie. split the children (and us) between rooms, or sail in same room.   It's cramped in a regular balcony, but doable (although it may be that no room capable of sleeping 4 people is available).

2 hours ago, 90scruzer said:

While we on the chat may agree that 20 seems "old enough", Princess has always had the policy that someone in a cabin must be 21 at least for as long as I remember.   Formerly had to do the same thing, ie. split the children (and us) between rooms, or sail in same room.   It's cramped in a regular balcony, but doable (although it may be that no room capable of sleeping 4 people is available).

18 is adult If you are sailing in Europe.

7 hours ago, 90scruzer said:

Here's from the Princess website:

Age requirements
Guests under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all guests under their supervision.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise#prepare-for-your-cruise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, d9704011 said:

For what purpose(s)?  Booking a cabin on Princess?

I assume if they can drink they can stay in their own cabin. 18 in Europe 

14 hours ago, d9704011 said:

For what purpose(s)?  Booking a cabin on Princess?

You are adult in Europe at 18, so you are allowed to drink if sailing in Europe.

7 hours ago, memoak said:

I assume if they can drink they can stay in their own cabin. 18 in Europe 

The Princess age limits for booking a cabin and the Princess age limits for drinking on board have nothing to do with each other.

Onboard Experience FAQ: "The age for drinking on Princess ships is 21 years old*."

"*For cruises between Australia/New Zealand, China, Europe, Singapore and South America ports, the drinking age will be 18 years old. For cruises between Japan ports, the drinking age will be 20 years old."

Cruising with Family & Kids FAQ: "Guests under the age of 21 need to travel in a stateroom with a guest 21 years or older who will assume responsibility for them during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each guest is 16, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian." Note that an 18 year old cannot book a cruise on Princess (anywhere in the world) without either someone 21 or older in the same stateroom or a parent or legal guadian on the cruise (not necessarily in the same stateroom). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

The Princess age limits for booking a cabin and the Princess age limits for drinking on board have nothing to do with each other.

Onboard Experience FAQ: "The age for drinking on Princess ships is 21 years old*."

"*For cruises between Australia/New Zealand, China, Europe, Singapore and South America ports, the drinking age will be 18 years old. For cruises between Japan ports, the drinking age will be 20 years old."

Cruising with Family & Kids FAQ: "Guests under the age of 21 need to travel in a stateroom with a guest 21 years or older who will assume responsibility for them during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each guest is 16, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian." Note that an 18 year old cannot book a cruise on Princess (anywhere in the world) without either someone 21 or older in the same stateroom or a parent or legal guadian on the cruise (not necessarily in the same stateroom). 

As you see from the quote if a parent is in another stateroom would meet the conditions for the 18 yr old to be in a separate cabin 

Cruised Sept on Emerald, used the old app. Pre-cruise app was desperately poor. Unable to book included speciality dining without being charged. This time new app appears to be working fine. All nights dining now reserved, excursions booked, now only the waiting!

I hate having to depend on a cell phone and its apps!  Am going to see how far along I can proceed without being trapped in that nonsense.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

I hate having to depend on a cell phone and its apps!  Am going to see how far along I can proceed without being trapped in that nonsense.

I like the app for completing the seven requirements at home to get in the green line. I use the medallion at the embarkation terminal for check-in. Once on the ship, my phone is off and put away for most of the cruise. I do use the app while on the ship to check our onboard account. But you can print that out at the kiosks at GS. Because I elect not to use my phone while onboard I don't take advantage all the the medallion offers. Everyone has their reason. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

How about those things you use your cell phone for on a normal day ?  Checking news , sports scores , cruise critic, texting, checking credit cards etc.  We only use the app once on board to check folio and current day menus. We never order food or drinks via the app. Make specialty dinner reservations though the dine line

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

I like the app for completing the seven requirements at home to get in the green line. I use the medallion at the embarkation terminal for check-in. Once on the ship, my phone is off and put away for most of the cruise. I do use the app while on the ship to check our onboard account. But you can print that out at the kiosks at GS. Because I elect not to use my phone while onboard I don't take advantage all the the medallion offers. Everyone has their reason. 

How do get messages from people at home in emergencies ?  The medallion itself only opens your door and allows venues to charge you. Everything else is on the app. Don’t you get emails etc while Lon a cruise ?

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2024 at 5:03 PM, killaypirate said:

Cruised Sept on Emerald, used the old app. Pre-cruise app was desperately poor. Unable to book included speciality dining without being charged. This time new app appears to be working fine. All nights dining now reserved, excursions booked, now only the waiting!

I can’t use the App as it says that the booking is for another person.

I suspect it’s because my D.O.B is incorrect.

I’ve contacted the TA and they have checked with Princess, who say they have it correct.

Ive been given a phone number to call if it’s still playing up.

IMG_1753.thumb.png.d3b3cf645ceb9f6a327eef712e777a94.png

3 hours ago, memoak said:

How about those things you use your cell phone for on a normal day ?  Checking news , sports scores , cruise critic, texting, checking credit cards etc.  We only use the app once on board to check folio and current day menus. We never order food or drinks via the app. Make specialty dinner reservations though the dine line

What is the dine line?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, memoak said:

How do get messages from people at home in emergencies ?  The medallion itself only opens your door and allows venues to charge you. Everything else is on the app. Don’t you get emails etc while Lon a cruise ?

What did you do before you had a cell phone? Would you not cruise if you didn't have a cell phone? How would you get by if you lost your cell phone while on a cruise? What would you do if you got on a cruise and found out you had no cell phone service? What did you do before the ships had internet service? 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, doghog said:

What did you do before you had a cell phone? Would you not cruise if you didn't have a cell phone? How would you get by if you lost your cell phone while on a cruise? What would you do if you got on a cruise and found out you had no cell phone service? What did you do before the ships had internet service? 

My question is why would you use a cell phone on lsmd and lock it up once you board. Why not leave it at home you don’t need it to get on board