New Drink Packages for Celebrity???

LuvCruzn4Evr

1 hour ago, gordiej said:

On the positive side, the red wine bottles we had at Blu were served at roughly proper temperature. (Prior experience is they're usually way too warm and always needed to be chilled on ice for a bit). 

Fun fact - people think reds don't need to be refrigerated because they're supposed to be served at room temperature.  They are, but that's room temperature in Europe in the winter prior to central heating.  So today, slightly chilled.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Me - light drinker.  Daily maybe a couple of glasses of white wine, possibly a single mixed drink, one cup of coffee, a glass of orange juice in the morning, water any other time.  DH same except a couple of craft beers per day, several glasses of wine (most likely exceeding the $17 limit) perhaps 3 mixed drinks per day.  Do you think that the premium drink package for both of us will allow Celebrity to feel as though they have “been made whole?”

I ask this only with regard to the rule that both parties in the same cabin must have the same package, regardless of drinking habits.  Do you believe that Celebrity Cruises (aka RCCL) feels satisfied? (also, would this be considered a poll?…sorry.   It’s New Years Eve.)

Edited by HopefulCruiser123

We were on the Reflection last summer and inquired about the premium package because my husband likes top wines. The sommelier explained that even if we bought the premium packages, he’d still be charged something above the$17 per drink fee for the top wines. We didn’t think the package was worth it because you still were responsible for the tip and I don’t drink much. We bought our own drinks, and bottles of wine that they store for you. Our bill amounted to about $400 by the cruise end. The package would have been close to $2,000. Is that worth it to you? 

On 12/29/2023 at 9:35 PM, LuvCruzn4Evr said:

Adding the person on Facebook whom I read this from also commented that most drinks that had been $17 now incur a $2 upcharge plus the 20%. Seems like if you want the 'premium' liquors that they are an upcharge. 😔 Guess I'll find out on our next sailing what is and what isn't.  

Thank y'all for your comments and insights.

20% of $2 or on a full price of an item that is over $17?

We are also going to do without package.  We checked what they offered. My husband drinks only beer and although I have few glasses of wine daily, my taste tends toward mid priced light white wines and pinot noir that I can purchase for under $11 with my local wine club.  It will just be me drinking wine so 1 bottle will last 2 1/2 to 3 nights during evening dinner.  I also plan on bringing two bottles on board too.  

On 12/29/2023 at 9:35 PM, Margarita Jane said:

We recently did a 7 day on Ascent. We carried on two bottles of wine, and we did not have a drink package. We are Elite + and not heavy drinkers. But….with the elite happy hour, and we ordered bottles of wine at dinner (5 bottles over 7 nights) with our 20% discount. I had purchased one device stream ( DH used elite minutes). Usually we have a beverage package, but the 7 night Ascent sailing was a last minute get away. It turned out to be about $40  night…lots less  than the packages. YMMV.

We've noticed a lot of changes as to how some approach the drink packages and like the ideas, such as yours!

We are going to try on our Ascent sailing in just over a month.  Wife doesn't drink (per se' although she might have a sparkling wine once or twice).  We've paid for the premium, two in cabin, for years and never really considered how ridiculous it was. 

We like the plan of taking aboard 2 bottles of my best red (subject to the corkage) and know that we can't bring the bottle into the restaurant.  I can have it in the stateroom or carry into Blu.  We'll get the sparkling in the Aqua and as Elite+ on day one, and daily a BM or M at breakfast (not at Blu, from what we understand, but can get at the Elite venue next door and carry in?) and the 5-7 time slot regular beer, wine, etc. during the Elite/Club happy hours (except at select bars). Although water in the stateroom daily, we'll add a couple from the bars, and coffee specialty bar if Blu isn't up to snuff.

If the occasion arises, we can certainly buy a bottle (or more) of wine. Again, just like the idea of getting out of the rut of just paying for the premium package for two but really for one and simply not making sense.

• Like 2

It seems Celebrity might be trying some dynamic pricing based on cruise dates. Normally the drink package is 5% off pre-cruise. If you are part of BCC or CC you may qualify for a deeper discount although based on my experience they aren't allowing combining discounts as they have in the past. This past black Friday we managed to get the upgrade from Classic to Prem. at $6.99/pp CDN. This was a great option. This was only showing for our Feb 2024 cruise originally. But a few weeks later I found it also for our 2025 cruise. 

Based on other conversations, it seems that the discounts are being managed/changed based on the cruise date, your home location (country), and any additional sales. I would keep an eye on the package online to see if it changes, you might get lucky a few weeks before you're supposed to leave. 

That being said, don't forget to account for the Non-alcoholic drinks as well for your package. People talk about the premium alcohol a lot and while we do our fair share of drinking, we also prefer the premium water they offer, coffee/tea, and juice. I dropped my love of Red bull after university, so I try to stay away from them as much as possible. But I could run through a premium amount of those in the past.    

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This was the elite happy hour menu on the 12/10/23 sailing of the Ascent. IMG_2638.thumb.jpeg.b1caec8dfa41a131b49b5dd71e5de2b0.jpegSometimes the bars did not have Absolute and they offered Tito’s instead. DH drinks Chardonnay, and sometimes the offering were not to his liking. Some bars allowed him to substitute spiced rum and he would have rum and cokes.

Edited by Margarita Jane
  • Like 1

We upgraded to premium on our last Apex B2B in February.

It was great at the martini bar and other bars as far as drinks go.  DH likes premium single malt Scotch and I like to experiment.

Wines by the glass was AWFUL.  Everything that was premium was not available in the MDR and bars except they somehow miraculously sometimes appeared at the speciality restaurants.

This time we will forgo and purchase as we go.  We are Elite so we can do the Happy Hour and the breakfast and will bring on our two bottles of better wine and buy a few with our discount.

• Like 2

Just off Infinity

Classic Package upto $10 - the problem is they just moved several $10 drinks to $11

I heard so many complaints from those who had the Premium Package as it seems a HUGE number of drinks have been moved above their $17 limit.

The above and the removal of Gratuities from initial (UK) cruise fare and/or Packages is another reason we are looking at Princess in future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:32 PM, LuvCruzn4Evr said:

image.thumb.png.163c7960ef994813267f13b8a41e9512.png

This was posted on facebook earlier today. If I am reading correctly, premium beverage package no longer includes 'premium' alcohol, only premium non-alcoholic drinks. Yet, it states 'All beverages up to $17 per serving.' So, is the martini bar still covered in the premium package? Or is it an upcharge if you ask for Grey Goose? Anyone else find this a little confusing?

But I looked at my app at the bar menus and just about all the drinks with authority in them are north of $17 some as high as $20 or more.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:37 AM, Oceangoer2 said:

Upcharge for Decoy.

Just off the Equinox a few weeks ago. Decoy was $19, so a $2.40 upcharge from the premium package. Was not charged the upcharge on a few occasions at one of the bars. It was available in the MDR. Was able to get the premium package for $55 + 20% on Black Friday sale.

On 12/31/2023 at 2:59 PM, abbydancer said:

Fun fact - people think reds don't need to be refrigerated because they're supposed to be served at room temperature.  They are, but that's room temperature in Europe in the winter prior to central heating.  So today, slightly chilled.

I have a dual temp wine cooler.  I keep whites at 35 degrees F and reds at 57 degrees F. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 11:46 PM, HopefulCruiser123 said:

I ask this only with regard to the rule that both parties in the same cabin must have the same package, regardless of drinking habits.

It is my understanding that Celebrity does not require that both parties in the same cabin have the same drink package, only that they each need to have a package. So one can have the Premium and one have the Classic, which is what we have done on past cruises.

I agree with post mentioning to not forget about the premium non-alcoholic drinks. My favorite being the fresh squeezed orange juice.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, boxkite said:

It is my understanding that Celebrity does not require that both parties in the same cabin have the same drink package, only that they each need to have a package. So one can have the Premium and one have the Classic, which is what we have done on past cruises.

I agree with post mentioning to not forget about the premium non-alcoholic drinks. My favorite being the fresh squeezed orange juice.

They changed it again - now BOTH have to have same package (unless medical cert)

Edited by UK-Couple

13 hours ago, Redhead9118 said:

Does anyone know if the ‘ special drinks…pina coladas, daily specials ect’ are included in classic package or are they just on premium?  Thank you for advice. 

Yes, those are almost available on the classic package, it's the brand of liquor that makes the difference between classic and premium.  

Posted (edited)

Assuming/ hoping X honors our All In booking with the Classic package..on our 3 booked cruises.

I like the special teas, and a few after dinner drinks per cruise... dh  drinks special coffees,  basic beer, wine and  Scotch.  We bring our own water and 2 btls of wine...

The new pricing choices are not to our liking....hope it will change.

Edited by hcat

Do we need to let the ordering servers know during 5-7PM cocktail hours that we are elite (gosh, I hate that word) members for free drinks?  It has been a long time since we last cruised esp Celebrity.