Simply More Beverage Package Questions

Carnevale

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Thanks for this additional info. We do hope that port is included and are surprised they have cognac on the same by the glass menu but it isn't included - it would be so much more helpful if they had a list that was just the included things especially as the cognac is in the same price range as many of the wines and the description of SM is that it includes "champagne, wine and more" (at least that was how it is worded on the O website page describing our sailing). It's the "and more" part that I'd like to know more about. It could just be the "and more" is beer but perhaps it is also cider (?) and  the non-alcoholic wines (?) and, if we are lucky port and cognac....I'll keep wishing!

The drink menus are much easier to decipher now than before they restructured them in January or February 2023. Here is a page from a sample drink menu:

image.thumb.png.17db9baa6368e5167866be865182c39d.png

If this was your menu in, say, the GDR, then everything under "Wine by the Glass" and "Beer" would be included with your lunch/dinner under SM. The items under "Specialty Coffee" and "Cognac & Armagnac" are not included. You are fairly safe in the GDR, Terrace and Waves, but the Specialties may have by-the-glass items (e.g., sake) that are wine, but are not included. The safest is to ask when ordering as has been advised earlier.

Here is an example (from Ember) of when you need to ask:

image.png.77cba2c812cee49ab0f2689b20f145f4.png

There are wines by the glass listed, but it's probably a safe bet that they are not included...ask anyway. The regular wines by the glass menu should also be available.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The dessert wines, included in the “

wine by the glass “ menu changes throughout the year. It is not always a fortified wine such as a port or sherry. Sometimes it’s a Trockenbeeren Auslese ( TbA), Vin Santo, or Sauternes ( or Barsacs), or other dessert wine. The selection varies amongst a group of perfectly delightful wines. Don’t get hung up on the thought they will always be fortified wines.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Don’t get hung up on the thought they will always be fortified wines.

I'm sincerely glad if you will help educate us.

Question for someone. We have SM on Vista in a couple of weeks. Can I order a glass of champagne and a glass of white wine at the same time at the beginning of a meal? What if wife and I want the same wine. Will they just bring a bottle?

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Question for someone. We have SM on Vista in a couple of weeks. Can I order a glass of champagne and a glass of white wine at the same time at the beginning of a meal? What if wife and I want the same wine. Will they just bring a bottle?

They will not bring a bottle.

If both the bubbly and the white wine are for the same person, they will have to be ordered separately. Won’t bring both at the same time.

40 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Are there any restrictions on how much beer/wine you can get at one meal?

Outside of serving you if you’re visually drunk, No. You have to remember that one beverage server often has a large number of passengers to handle. The true answer depends upon how often they rotate to your table to take orders or refill glasses. Realistically, that may only happen 3-4 times in an evening.

Edited by pinotlover

2 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

They do not bring a bottle but will keep your glass filled - never tried to order 2 at same time but you can always ask

6 minutes ago, basor said:

They do not bring a bottle but will keep your glass filled - never tried to order 2 at same time but you can always ask

When we ordered our food, I indicated that we would probably order a different glass for each course. Never waited more than a couple of minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to ask what is likely a naive question, but with the "free drinks package" (Simply More), do they add required tipping to your bill?  

I went on another cruise last year that offered a "free drinks bonus package", but when I read the fine print they planned to add some notable daily amount ($14 or $18 or something) to the bill to cover "required gratuities".  I'm not an alcohol drinker, so I wouldn't use any of the benefits and would have been charged for the tipping as if I was getting multiple drinks per day..  Fortunately, that cruise line (Norwegian, I think), let me opt out of not-so-free free bonus.

I don't see any language about required tipping with the Oceania "simply more" beverage package, but I was planning to purchase a cruise and their site doesn't allow me to decline the package.  Can anyone enlighten me about whether there are hidden charges for tips?

I recognize that they add to the bill for regular tips, by the way.  My question is specific to the beverage program.

43 minutes ago, pplwatcher said:

Sorry to ask what is likely a naive question, but with the "free drinks package" (Simply More), do they add required tipping to your bill?  

I went on another cruise last year that offered a "free drinks bonus package", but when I read the fine print they planned to add some notable daily amount ($14 or $18 or something) to the bill to cover "required gratuities".  I'm not an alcohol drinker, so I wouldn't use any of the benefits and would have been charged for the tipping as if I was getting multiple drinks per day..  Fortunately, that cruise line (Norwegian, I think), let me opt out of not-so-free free bonus.

I don't see any language about required tipping with the Oceania "simply more" beverage package, but I was planning to purchase a cruise and their site doesn't allow me to decline the package.  Can anyone enlighten me about whether there are hidden charges for tips?

I recognize that they add to the bill for regular tips, by the way.  My question is specific to the beverage program.

There is no gratuities added for the SM beverage package. Added gratuities would only be applicable if you were to have a drink not covered by the package. But since you do not drink that would be a moot point.  So nothing would be added in your situation n

4 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

There is no gratuities added for the SM beverage package. Added gratuities would only be applicable if you were to have a drink not covered by the package. But since you do not drink that would be a moot point.  So nothing would be added in your situation n

Ah, thank you very much.  That seems like the right approach.

The one that I experienced last year was the Norwegian "Free at Sea" program.  They offered a "free beverage program", but it really cost $21.80 per day in surcharges even if you don't have a single drink.  (Source:  https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ncl-free-at-sea-cruise-promotion/)  I like Norwegian and enjoyed the cruise, but I thought it was pretty misleading to promote a "free" offer that was going to cost over $400 in required surcharges over a three-week cruise.  Thankfully, I noticed it and they had an option to reject the offer.

I do drink soda and fruit juices, so I'd use the SM package if it covers those, and I don't mind tipping on whatever I buy.  I just don't want to pay a charge if I don't get anything in return.

42 minutes ago, pplwatcher said:

Ah, thank you very much.  That seems like the right approach.

The one that I experienced last year was the Norwegian "Free at Sea" program.  They offered a "free beverage program", but it really cost $21.80 per day in surcharges even if you don't have a single drink.  (Source:  https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ncl-free-at-sea-cruise-promotion/)  I like Norwegian and enjoyed the cruise, but I thought it was pretty misleading to promote a "free" offer that was going to cost over $400 in required surcharges over a three-week cruise.  Thankfully, I noticed it and they had an option to reject the offer.

I do drink soda and fruit juices, so I'd use the SM package if it covers those, and I don't mind tipping on whatever I buy.  I just don't want to pay a charge if I don't get anything in return.

Soda and fruit juices are not under the beverage package as that is only alcohol related drinks.  However, soda, specialty coffee and fruit juices are included at no charge on Oceania anytime. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Soda and fruit juices are not under the beverage package as that is only alcohol related drinks.  However, soda, specialty coffee and fruit juices are included at no charge on Oceania anytime. 

Well, that's even better.  I'm used to shelling out a few bucks for them on other cruise lines.  Thanks!

17 minutes ago, pplwatcher said:

Well, that's even better.  I'm used to shelling out a few bucks for them on other cruise lines.  Thanks!

With Simply More and any enhanced beverage packages, the gratuity is included.  Non-alcoholic drinks, except for the Lyre non-alcoholic spirits, are included in the cruise fare.

There is a general Gratuity that is assessed per day per stateroom, and an additional amount if you have a suite with a butler, but that is independent of SM any upgraded beverage package.

• Thanks 2

Sommelier would ask when I ordered champagne prior to ordering food if I was having a different wine with my meal and if it was red would bring it at the same time, they noted the choice if white and would bring it once food had started to be served. If they don't ask you ask them, they will be more than happy to oblige.

• Thanks 1

Hope this is not too far off-topic, but while the invoice does show that "Simply More House Beverage Package" is included, when going into Manage, then Beverage Packages, the House Package shows as an extra cost, and the upgrade, as well. I cannot see where the cost shows, or how to purchase, just the upgrade (as the SM package is already included)?

12 minutes ago, CraigM said:

Hope this is not too far off-topic, but while the invoice does show that "Simply More House Beverage Package" is included, when going into Manage, then Beverage Packages, the House Package shows as an extra cost, and the upgrade, as well. I cannot see where the cost shows, or how to purchase, just the upgrade (as the SM package is already included)?

O's site is a bit convoluted because there is still an overlap between bookings made under OLife before SM went into effect, where the basic package could be selected as an OLife option or not.  So those under OLife who did not chose the basic beverage package option as an OLife perk can still purchase it.  Eventually, these parallel options will disappear and only SM will remain.

As several threads here have purported, the upgrade to the basic SM package can only be done while onboard, but I vaguely remember some said their TA was able to upgrade them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/6/2024 at 7:14 PM, basor said:

We have often ordered a glass of port after dinner and taken it with us to the show - no charge under SM or the House beverage package,

Any idea of the brand(s) offered?

@Carnevale I hope you don't mind me tacking on a question.  I'm learning so much from this thread.   We also just booked our first Oceania cruise on Vista yesterday.  Please feel free to correct any wrong "assumptions"

I think I now understand the Simply More is included with all new bookings like ours.  I don't have a Oceania Invoice, as I booked direct with a TA and have a confirmation on their paperwork.   I will ask for a copy of the Oceania Invoice for my records.

We book an Owner Suite so as I understand we get something like 6 bottles of a combination Liquor and Wine list for the suite and that wine can be brought to the restaurants without a corkage fee.

I don't drink Alcohol but enjoy sparkling waters like San Pellegrino and Starbucks like Cappuccino -  not sure if these are included but would be interested in the cost of barista prepared coffee's.  

OK now my question -   I have read hear that one can upgrade the included drink package to the premium drink package for $30/pp/pd.    My husband likes a couple Grey Goose and Tonics before dinner.    Of course we will have plenty of that in our room.

When I looked at my booking on Oceania Site under drink packages it shows this - which is 69.95 a day.    Is this there for people that have no package or is this truly what one would pay for the Premium package if you have the SM.     If so we will probably not be visiting the public lounges for cocktails while if it were $300 a day we might.

image.thumb.png.732c3947d97d56a45fcafd46330cdd58.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

@Carnevale I hope you don't mind me tacking on a question.  I'm learning so much from this thread.   We also just booked our first Oceania cruise on Vista yesterday.  Please feel free to correct any wrong "assumptions"

I think I now understand the Simply More is included with all new bookings like ours.  I don't have a Oceania Invoice, as I booked direct with a TA and have a confirmation on their paperwork.   I will ask for a copy of the Oceania Invoice for my records.

We book an Owner Suite so as I understand we get something like 6 bottles of a combination Liquor and Wine list for the suite and that wine can be brought to the restaurants without a corkage fee.

I don't drink Alcohol but enjoy sparkling waters like San Pellegrino and Starbucks like Cappuccino -  not sure if these are included but would be interested in the cost of barista prepared coffee's.  

OK now my question -   I have read hear that one can upgrade the included drink package to the premium drink package for $30/pp/pd.    My husband likes a couple Grey Goose and Tonics before dinner.    Of course we will have plenty of that in our room.

When I looked at my booking on Oceania Site under drink packages it shows this - which is 69.95 a day.    Is this there for people that have no package or is this truly what one would pay for the Premium package if you have the SM.     If so we will probably not be visiting the public lounges for cocktails while if it were $300 a day we might.

image.thumb.png.732c3947d97d56a45fcafd46330cdd58.png

All soft drinks and all coffees are included with Oceania at no charge. To upgrade to the drink package from SM, it is $30/day and unlike other cruiselines, both of you do not need to upgrade. We were in an Oceania Suite on Marina in October, our first Oceania cruise. We have booked two cruises with the exact same suite. Enjoy every moment.

• Like 1

Great to see you on this board Jim and Iain.  I recognize you from elsewhere on CC where you have posted some very helpful info.  I hope you enjoy your sailing on Vista - she looks like a very nice new ship.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I will ask for a copy of the Oceania Invoice for my records.

A TA should provide you with the Oceania invoice.

47 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes.

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

SATaxman is correct.  These are all included in the cruise fare.

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

OK now my question -   I have read hear that one can upgrade the included drink package to the premium drink package for $30/pp/pd. 

As SATaxman said: yes, only one person has to upgrade.

52 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Is this there for people that have no package

Yes, the $69.95 price is for people who booked under the old OLife program and did not chose the basic package as the OLife perk.  Under SM, your option is to upgrade at $30 pp pd.

When you consider the upgrade, be aware that the package includes gratuity, which is 20% when drinks are ordered ala carte.

Also, there is a daily happy hour in the lounges with 2 for 1 drinks (same drink) from 5 pm to 6 pm, and another in Horizons at 10 or 10:30.  In addition there is a Captain's Reception on one night where drinks are free and usually a first-timers reception where they are also free.

Have a great cruise!

Everything @1985rz1said! And also, you (well, Iain) don't have to upgrade on day 1. You can wait until say day 3 - often the captains cocktail party is day 2.

Also as noted elsewhere on these boards, they have trays of passed cocktails at the captains party, but you can also custom-order the cocktail of your choice as long as said cocktail is included in the cocktail package. We learned this on CC and gave practiced it as recently as last month.