BA business

laurieb

On 1/5/2024 at 4:31 PM, laurieb said:

I didn't know that; thank you!  Where do you suggest I look for reviews?

if you are considering a specific aircraft type on an airline, you can often search YouTube for reviews by entering the aircraft type and airline in the search function. Be aware of the date they’ve been recorded, and that some planes have multiple configurations, but it’s at least somewhere to start.  Occasionally the reviewers will have helpful tips or drawbacks of various portions of the cabin.  (And primarily the business class cabin! Much less interest in economy trip reports, I imagine…)

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:52 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Maybe at BA, but the Q-Suite product on Qatar has rear-facing seats.  And it's wonderful.

Each to their own.

The Qatar seat may be wonderful, but if it's rear facing by definition it's miserable FOR ME.

Could well be great for others but I think it's reasonable for others to be aware of potential issues with rear facing sets.

Again, each to their own but I can feel the difference even in flight.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 10:56 AM, Globaliser said:

I don't think it's physically possible to feel the difference in flight, other than through already knowing that your seat is aft-facing.

Right, unless you've got superhuman levels of perception or it's just psychological because you know you are facing backwards it's imperceptible.

I've seen rear facing window seat passengers start to towards the back of the plane as they prepare to disembark because they've almost forgotten they are flying backwards.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 3:44 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Seatguru has been effectively abandoned by Trip Advisor, its owner.  Lots of incorrect information there.  Use at your own risk.

Hey, thanks for that. I've used them for years..Is there something else?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 6:02 PM, Dobby36 said:

(And primarily the business class cabin! Much less interest in economy trip reports, I imagine…)

Unless it's like...really, really bad economy. Like the time I flew from Bangalore to Delhi next to a drunk guy who somehow threw up six times in the first hour and caused us to divert to Hyderabad...or the time time I flew a domestic flight in the DR Congo on a now defunct airline (due to crashing too much) where there was a goat sitting behind me. Those would be, uh...entertaining...I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last year we flew our first BA A380 flight (from IAD to LHR) and it was actually a pretty enjoyable experience.  We opted for two seats on the starboard side (2 abrest) which were opposite seating (one forward and one rear).  I took the rear and truly did not notice much difference (in comfort) except it felt a little weird during takeoff and climbout.   Our flight was not very full (on the Upper Deck) and the service/staff was outstanding.  

I will be honest and say that on that kind of relatively short flight (about 7 hours on the aircraft) our priorities are the airline and schedule with the hardware (in Business) being less important.  Our major complaint about BA is their ridiculous advance seat selection policy (for Business) which does not let folks choose seats until 24 hours prior to the flight...unless they have status or are willing to pay a seat fee.  Paying an extra fee on an already expensive Business Class fare is nutz.  For that reason, BA is not an airline we prefer.

Hank

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Our major complaint about BA is their ridiculous advance seat selection policy (for Business) which does not let folks choose seats until 24 hours prior to the flight...unless they have status or are willing to pay a seat fee.  Paying an extra fee on an already expensive Business Class fare is nutz.

You may think that it's "expensive", but actually you're probably paying a cheapie rate and not for a full-fare ticket. Those with status (which can be from any oneworld airline) also think it's much less ridiculous. History shows that those who don't have to pay for pre-allocation (which also includes full-fare passengers) can account for something like two-thirds or more of the passengers in the cabin. These are the more valuable customers whom the policy benefits.

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Last year we flew our first BA A380 flight (from IAD to LHR) and it was actually a pretty enjoyable experience.  We opted for two seats on the starboard side (2 abrest) which were opposite seating (one forward and one rear).  I took the rear and truly did not notice much difference (in comfort) except it felt a little weird during takeoff and climbout.   Our flight was not very full (on the Upper Deck) and the service/staff was outstanding.  

I will be honest and say that on that kind of relatively short flight (about 7 hours on the aircraft) our priorities are the airline and schedule with the hardware (in Business) being less important.  Our major complaint about BA is their ridiculous advance seat selection policy (for Business) which does not let folks choose seats until 24 hours prior to the flight...unless they have status or are willing to pay a seat fee.  Paying an extra fee on an already expensive Business Class fare is nutz.  For that reason, BA is not an airline we prefer.

Hank

BA is not the only airline doing this now and I think that we will see more and more of this.  Even with the first level status on BA, you still cannot choose a free seat until 7 days before.