Using the app - with no internet - can we message others through it?

Hello - travelling with my family (DH, DS, 10, DD, 8). My son wants to bring the walki-talkie but for some reason I am thinking we could message each other using the app?  Is this a thing?  My son has an old cell phone, no data or cell service but does work with wifi.  Just looking at talking/typing with each other, no other internet type things.

Yes, you can use the app to message each other.  The only problem we have had with it is you have to check it frequently as it does not notify you when you get a new message.

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

The only problem we have had with it is you have to check it frequently as it does not notify you when you get a new message.

That his hit or miss.  Seemed to notify me when a non cabinmate texted, but not when my cabinmate did.

21 minutes ago, Boowaaccaa77 said:

Hello - travelling with my family (DH, DS, 10, DD, 8). My son wants to bring the walki-talkie but for some reason I am thinking we could message each other using the app?  Is this a thing? 

Text app is only available for age 13+.  The underage kids would have to use an "adult" account.

• Like 1

Memories of the cruising in the 90s, people shouting into walkie-talkies. Absolutely not. 

I'd purchase one internet package and put an airtag on each kid so you know where they are at all times. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

That his hit or miss.  Seemed to notify me when a non cabinmate texted, but not when my cabinmate did.

We found it did not notify whether it was a cabin mate or non cabin mate.  We used it quite a bit on Independence in July with family spread out over 5 cabins but no one received any notice.

Sherri🙂

2 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Memories of the cruising in the 90s, people shouting into walkie-talkies. Absolutely not. 

I'd purchase one internet package and put an airtag on each kid so you know where they are at all times. 

AirTags really are useless on the ship

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

The ship is moving.

Thanks all!!  Just looking at our options.  Kids will be in the club or with us.  We were more looking at options for when they are at the club and want to leave earlier than the original plan.  I have read that my 10 year old can sign himself out. 

So I also read somewhere you have to pay $1.99 to use the text chat on RCI app.  And everyone you try to reach will also have to pay the $1.99/day.  Is this old news?

I don't have an iphone or kids who need tracking but why wouldn't it work on a ship? They rely on proximity to other active iphones and certainly there are a lot of those on a ship. Is it a satellite issue?

17 minutes ago, 7x5090g said:

So I also read somewhere you have to pay $1.99 to use the text chat on RCI app.  And everyone you try to reach will also have to pay the $1.99/day.  Is this old news?

There is no longer any charge for the messaging within the Royal app.

• Like 1

We just got off Oasis in December and we actually received notifications for almost all the messages we sent between each other. (did not have the Internet package)

Last summer we were on enchantment and weren't getting any notifications at all, So hit or miss