Medical Histories To be Provided For Manicure and Pedicure in particular!! Think about this!!!

SusieAV8R

4 hours ago, Tudy said:

As a nurse, I can vouch for all this. And people with these conditions usually know and understand why a spa would need to know these things.

If you are uncomfortable with sharing medical information, don't utilize the spa. If you do use it, think carefully before you give them an incorrect medical history. By doing so you put yourself at risk. How much risk? It varies. The risk to benefit ratio is something that you need to decide for yourself.

As a provider, I know that I really, REALLY, did not appreciate finding out that my client withheld pertinent information from me simply because they didn't understand why I needed it.

As a nurse, can you explain why I should reveal to a massage therapist that I have tinnitus or bipolar disorder?  Why is it any of their business?  Do you discuss patients medical histories outside of a professional setting?

No I do NOT divulge this information.  I just want to get a straight answer from someone who thinks this information should be disclosed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

As a nurse, can you explain why I should reveal to a massage therapist that I have tinnitus or bipolar disorder?  Why is it any of their business?  Do you discuss patients medical histories outside of a professional setting?

No I do NOT divulge this information.  I just want to get a straight answer from someone who thinks this information should be disclosed.

I believe I read every post in this thread and don't see where you are coming up with your assertion that you would be asked to reveal tinnitus or bipolar disorder to a massage therapist.  Was that mentioned upthread that I missed? 

However, in an earlier post you asked how it would be relevant that you have cancer or heart disease and you were given a "straight answer" as to why that information should be disclosed.  Now it appears that you have moved the goalposts.  Are you just trying to be argumentative?  🤔

I haven't seen anyone provide details on what is included on the Celebrity spa medical questionnaire, perhaps the spa on Celebrity uses something similar to this:  https://www.chocolatespa.com/assets/pdf/health-questionnaire.pdf

But as noted by the OP, one can always choose not to patronize the spa onboard and/or the spa can refuse service to a passenger who will not fill out their questionnaire.  Either way, problem solved!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, islabahia said:

Rude…..

Why ? 

if dentist is  not given the correct information regarding medication, medical history of a client,

their action plan could be wrong because of the bad information 

I know of person who had part jaw eaten away by An infection  because of lack of information 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Some of you haven’t answered the question.

When I get a massage, why does the massage therapist need to know about my tinnitus?  It’s a medical condition right?  One that has no relevance to a massage.

Do I have confidence that the staff are not “swapping stories”?

I have other medical conditions that are none of their damn business.

They can know about my toenail fungus.

what if a massage does something to aggravate your tinnitus, pinched nerve etc?    some disclosure is for your safety and protection!  

and probably req by their ins carrier.. surprised some "learned counselors" missed that possibiliy..

anyhow.. happy sailing to all

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr. Pam said:

I certainly beg to differ! Having a dental hygiene appointment is absolutely not comparable to a pedicure. A pedicure is a medical procedure??? NOOOOO🤣

As an aside, I had a dental appointment today...for a standard cleaning.  Not one person asked me any medical questions.  The hygienist who did the cleaning asked me if any of my teeth were bothering me...that's it. I'm sure I filled out forms upon my first visit ever to the practice, but that was 12 years ago.  Last year I updated my insurance information...still no medical questions asked.  

• Like 1

lol funny I went to the dentist today and I was asked if anything had changed in my medical or health since my last appointment.

So there is no consistency in anything - probably ever anywhere

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

As an aside, I had a dental appointment today...for a standard cleaning.  Not one person asked me any medical questions.  The hygienist who did the cleaning asked me if any of my teeth were bothering me...that's it. I'm sure I filled out forms upon my first visit ever to the practice, but that was 12 years ago.  Last year I updated my insurance information...still no medical questions asked.  

Sorry, Georgia. I think this is very negligent by the dental office.  Dental hygiene appointments do carry a risk for some patients and it is important for health histories to be updated regularly.  But, I am retired...🙃 what do I know?

🙂Pam

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Pam said:

Sorry, Georgia. I think this is very negligent by the dental office.  Dental hygiene appointments do carry a risk for some patients and it is important for health histories to be updated regularly.  But, I am retired...🙃 what do I know?

🙂Pam

for diabetics and others,  updates on health and Rx  questions are important.. at the dr or dentist...

first ques my hygienist and dentist ask at my appts are .."have there been any changes"  "are you taking  aspirin or blood thinners?"

Deciding to spa or not is a pers decision...not cancelling!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

lol funny I went to the dentist today and I was asked if anything had changed in my medical or health since my last appointment.

So there is no consistency in anything - probably ever anywhere

Consistently inconsistent…

2 hours ago, Dr. Pam said:

🙂Pam

I hadn’t really thought about it before this thread. I was more focused on the dreadful sound of having my teeth scraped and white knuckling the chair, while trying not to swallow (or bite) the gloved hand in my mouth. I like my privacy but perhaps you have a point. Something to think about…

edit to say @hcat reminded me that they did ask if there had been any changes since my last visit. It was a conversation, not a written update of medical history like occurs periodically at a doctor’s office. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

On 1/7/2024 at 5:04 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

A pedicure is a medical procedure, no different than getting your teeth cleaned where you have give them your medical history 

My wife does pedicures  and has to keep a file on what was done on each client

Nope, not in California.  Unless of course its a "Medical pedicure" at a doctor's office.  

22 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I usually get a pedicure at a salon the night before I leave for the cruise. I do my manis myself.

Saves me a whole lotta trouble and money.

Same.  The cost of mani/pedi's on a cruise is insane. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 4:33 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow. Just so extremely rude and nasty. 

What a shame..

As I mentioned, a $35 pedi is purely cosmetic and easily obtained at a nail salon. Actually, the price is more like $45 now…but that’s a completely different topic. 

I pay 30 in a suburb of LA.  Definitely on the lower end of the scale and its a regular pedi, not gel. 

• Like 2

First of all those forms are generic for all procedures in the Spa and they probably ask everyone even if you are not having a "medical" procedure.  With a mani, pedi, massage or facial they do need to know some specifics such as allergies, issues with those areas being treated, conditions that affect the circulation which can limit the person feeling pain, etc.  Also a lot of these companies may be required to have this information for their insurance.  I have been to many spas around the US and many have asked me for similar information.  

19 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

First of all those forms are generic for all procedures in the Spa and they probably ask everyone even if you are not having a "medical" procedure.  With a mani, pedi, massage or facial they do need to know some specifics such as allergies, issues with those areas being treated, conditions that affect the circulation which can limit the person feeling pain, etc.  Also a lot of these companies may be required to have this information for their insurance.  I have been to many spas around the US and many have asked me for similar information.  

Yes, that's also been my experience.  Every spa I've been to (land and sea) has required this type of questionnaire for the reasons you stated. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

That's unfortunate. There are conditions that antibiotic prophylaxis is recommended,  among many other reasons for your dental providers to know your medical history. Hopefully they do a head and neck exam looking for tumors, etc.   Things that are easily missed on a physical or the Medicare wellness exam.  I'd find a new dental practice if no health history questions were asked.

• Like 1

I tried a variety of spa services on various cruise lines and have answered relevant health question. However, the prices are so much higher than spas where I live that I stopped using the onboard spa. I was always annoyed when they would try to sell me products that I would politely refuse - but still...

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What service isn’t over priced on a cruise ship ? 
a one time acupuncture procedure will solve all your cures🤣

Over priced is one thing - quality is another. The cruise ship providers in the spa are generally excellent, yet I see a massage therapist at home who knows my preferences and customizes the treatment for me. Same person for 6 years and going to someone new doesn't interest me anymore. Been there, done that.

23 minutes ago, billc23 said:

That's unfortunate. There are conditions that antibiotic prophylaxis is recommended,  among many other reasons for your dental providers to know your medical history. Hopefully they do a head and neck exam looking for tumors, etc.   Things that are easily missed on a physical or the Medicare wellness exam.  I'd find a new dental practice if no health history questions were asked.

Mine  dentist also checks the tongue and areas inside the mouth  ..

My hygienist offers a water pik type cleaning which is much less discomfort than the usual process..my husb prefers that but I like the traditional way!

the spa has free give aways of mini teeth whiteners but does not venture into any treatments afaik...only acupunture which I would not do on a ship..

• Like 1