1/8/24: Princess Names New Chief Marketing Officer

LACruiser88

January 8, 2024 9:00 AM EST
Princess Cruises Names Jim Berra Chief Marketing Officer

Berra Brings More Than Three Decades of Marketing Leadership
from Hospitality Industry Top Brands

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla., Jan. 8, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises today announced that Jim Berra – an accomplished cruise industry and hospitality veteran with nearly three decades of brand, marketing, and commerce experience – has joined the organization as chief marketing officer, reporting directly to Princess Cruises president John Padgett.

As CMO, Jim will lead all global marketing facets including integrated marketing strategy formulation, creative development and brand promotion across all channels and geographies to further optimize Princess' global marketplace position.

Berra joins a leadership team with extensive commercial and communications experience including highly respected industry veterans Terry Thornton, Chief Commercial Officer; Vicki Johnson, Sr. Vice President of Communications, and Carmen Roig, Vice President of Sales.

"Jim's demonstrated track record of success with outstanding hospitality brands make him a perfect addition to the Princess team," Padgett said. "The Princess brand is truly special, and Jim will ensure 'The Love Boat' extends its position as an iconic brand and a global destination leader."

Berra comes to Princess from Invited (formerly ClubCorp), the largest owner of private membership clubs in the country, where he served as Chief Marketing and Innovation Officer. Prior to Invited, Berra spent six years at Royal Caribbean International as senior vice president and chief marketing officer, overseeing the company's advertising programs, marketing communications, social media, e-commerce, and customer marketing.

"Princess has a rich history of creating unforgettable moments at sea, and I am excited to steer the marketing efforts for the iconic Love Boat brand to even greater heights," Berra said. "Together, we will continue to inspire travelers to embark on journeys filled with love, adventure, and cherished memories."

Before Royal Caribbean, Berra spent seven years at Carnival Cruise Line as its Chief Marketing Officer. Previously he also held multiple positions with Starwood Hotels & Resorts including SVP of Customer Marketing and Strategic Alliances.

A resident of Miami Beach, Fla., Berra holds bachelor's degrees in economics and philosophy from Northwestern University

• Thanks 3

For the love of everything, please ditch the Love Boat focus.  The generation that actually watched this show is nearing their end.  The re-runs aren't televised, as compared to The Golden Girls.  Princess is going to need new marketing to attract new blood cruisers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

For the love of everything, please ditch the Love Boat focus.  The generation that actually watched this show is nearing their end.  The re-runs aren't televised, as compared to The Golden Girls.  Princess is going to need new marketing to attract new blood cruisers.

Judging by how full the sailings are and how many first time cruisers are on the sailings, I think they aren't having any issues attracting new blood cruisers even with The Love Boat focus.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

I grew up watching The Love Boat and I'm 54.  Glad to know I'm 'nearing my end'.  LOL 😛 

According to Google it aired from 1976 - 1990.  The Dark Ages apparently!

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Judging by how full the sailings are and how many first time cruisers are on the sailings, I think they aren't having any issues attracting new blood cruisers even with The Love Boat focus.  

I beg to differ.  The new blood to Princess cruisers are still over 50.  If they want to be multi-generational cruise line that I think they are after, their marketing should change.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

...The generation that actually watched this show is nearing their end.  The re-runs aren't televised, as compared to The Golden Girls.  Princess is going to need new marketing to attract new blood cruisers.

Saying folks are near the end was an unkind thing to post.

The Love Boat has it's own channel, on Pluto TV, 24/7.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Reruns are on Paramount Plus.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Sailings are packed now, they're having no trouble attracting customers. Lots of new cruisers on the B2B we just disembarked a couple days ago.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Not once in the blurb that @LACruiser88 posted did it say that he'd *ever* been on a cruise!!!

Mr. Berra worked with Royal and Carnival before taking this position, so I would say he knows a thing or two about cruising even if he hasn't been onboard.

3 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

My last sailing on Princess was on the Ruby in April and I can confirm the above.  That ship was full, mostly with new-to-Princess cruisers (of whom a lot were totally new to cruising).

Thanks for posting this Raphael!

We can all hope that this hire works out well for Princess - lord knows they need new blood.

I'm a bit skeptical on that note - Mr. Berra, while accomplished, is really just another industry retread at this point. Not sure about poaching a guy from the Country Club sector, but whatever. 

As for the "Love Boat" tie-in, well he did mention the Love Boat in his remarks. There are plenty of creative ways to extend that part of Princess history instead of tossing it out with the pillow chocolates.

Hopefully, Mr. Berra really does understand and appreciate the legacy and restore and enhance the Princess brand. 

• Like 2

So much of it is as simple as just picking some decent music. RCCL nails this almost every commercial, the recent stuff has been great, but even better were some of the old commercials. Every time I hear "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop I'm immediately mentally transported to a RCI ship. So small but really leaves an impression