Food in decline?

I was satisfied with the food on Liberty and Explorer last year.  Since I am on a heart healthy diet, no meat, no eggs, and no dairy products, eating is more like a chore than a pleasure, but it makes picking which food easier every meal.  I was not disappointed, just bored.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, KarlK said:

Do people actually cruise for the food? I will admit, I am a pizza in the windjammer over MDR kinda guy. I hit great foods while in port, a true goal of mine, be it stewed cows foot in the Caymans, gibnut in Belize, Mexican seafood off the boats in Ensenada. Mass knocking out meals on a boat cannot compare to a land based restaurant. Even back in the day when I would go to the MDR, I would not say the steak or lobster was prepared spectacular. Is what it is, never horrible, but fine dining in this day an age of more people on board means more money is past history.

I cruise to enjoy unique foods that I normally wouldn't have at home. Occasionally I'd have something typical that I could get at home due to the unsatisfying menu. The MDR was mostly fine on my recent Anthem cruise. Only bad meal choices were the prime rib(very fatty and tough) and my Dad's pork chop. Also, the daily chicken breast was very dry according to my brother & mom. Ultimately, the big disappointment was the Windjammer and their lack of variety for both breakfast and lunch. I tend to be easy on the post-cruise survey, but was very honest about the Windjammer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I note that several posts have referenced specialty restaurants as evidence of the quality of on-board food.  That seems to me to be is a tacit admission good food is no longer included in the cruise fare. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mjldvlks said:

I note that several posts have referenced specialty restaurants as evidence of the quality of on-board food.  That seems to me to be is a tacit admission good food is no longer included in the cruise fare. 

I agree, means exactly that. You can also note that lobster is about gone most lines except as a paid item on the MDR menu. The fact that you have extra charge items on the regular MDR menu now shows the direction that they are all going. Charged for food just like at home. This is nothing new, was the plan long before the pandemic. As was SIP in a SHIP ( class separation via $$$ ) and ECONOMY of SIZE ( more people carried one ship higher margins ).

The fact that you have fares Regular, PLUS, MORE PLUS no matter the name it really stands for STEERAGE, 2nd CLASS, 1st CLASS. Packages, then comes included packages with some fares, just a way to get there.

My thoughts are more toward who will pay all this once the post pandemic urge to travel slows. So many in United States having problems in housing and with inflation how many will have exorbinant costs of cruising?

George in NY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While the food isn't what it was 5 years ago, it has improved greatly since restart.  We just got off Wonder 8 days ago after a b2b and we found the food better.  I don't love the lack of basic choices though.  I will say, I tried to ask for just a garden salad one night at dinner and the waiter looked at me and said, it's not on the menu, we can't do that.  Um, in Oct/Nov on Jewel, they gladly did it for me several times and acted like it was completely normal.  And, I originally hadn't even asked but when I said I didn't like any of the appetizers, it was offered.  We need consistency.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, BND said:

While the food isn't what it was 5 years ago, it has improved greatly since restart.  We just got off Wonder 8 days ago after a b2b and we found the food better.  I don't love the lack of basic choices though.  I will say, I tried to ask for just a garden salad one night at dinner and the waiter looked at me and said, it's not on the menu, we can't do that.  Um, in Oct/Nov on Jewel, they gladly did it for me several times and acted like it was completely normal.  And, I originally hadn't even asked but when I said I didn't like any of the appetizers, it was offered.  We need consistency.

Had the same experience on the Liberty of The Seas in October. Asked for a just plain garden salad and it was like I had asked for the moon. After conferring with another waiter our waiter offered he could only deliver a Caesar salad without the dressing. That or nada! Even a dive diner can come up with a plain salad for goodness sake. Most nights they had Caesar or some strange combo salad and my just a plain salad was done but with varied leafy combinations. Geez only a darn salad and they can't even do that?

Yes a cruise is not only the food but food is a large part of it. Service is another large part. Another facet now lost is new and interesting friends made through the evening dinners. My Time, which is really their time mostly, and separate speciality venues has pretty much negated that facet as well. We have close friends for over 30 years man at the MDR evening table through the years. Now table mates here one day gone another. Huge pass number ships do not promote such growth of friendship.

George in NY

• Like 3

Earlier in our cruising life, 10+ years ago,  in discussions like this there almost inevitably be a comment from someone that the food on the ships was no better than “banquet food.”  Frankly, I didn’t see that as substantial criticism. I have seen some pretty fine banquet food.

The last two cruises I have been on, however (Odyssey TA last fall and Anthem a week ago) couldn’t meet even that level. With all due respect to the lunch ladies (who do remarkable things with meager resources) I don’t think the food on either of those ships was any better than school cafeteria quality.

I firmly believe we are in the midst of an effort to eliminate complimentary food options. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mjldvlks said:

Earlier in our cruising life, 10+ years ago,  in discussions like this there almost inevitably be a comment from someone that the food on the ships was no better than “banquet food.”  Frankly, I didn’t see that as substantial criticism. I have seen some pretty fine banquet food.

The last two cruises I have been on, however (Odyssey TA last fall and Anthem a week ago) couldn’t meet even that level. With all due respect to the lunch ladies (who do remarkable things with meager resources) I don’t think the food on either of those ships was any better than school cafeteria quality.

I firmly believe we are in the midst of an effort to eliminate complimentary food options. 

Through my 40 years of cruising I have seen lines makes some real mistakes in understanding their passenger reason for enjoying cruising. One of the more recent years that many will remember was, I think they called it " Dynamic Dining." Most passengers called it : Disaster Dining!" Where many small venue dining rooms whose venues never changed in each. That on the Quantum of The Seas. They had two other large ships scheduled to convert but postponed then cancelled the changes.

Cruisecritic article can be found here. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/dynamic-dining-everything-you-need-to-know#

The interesting part of it is that it took two years for RCL to figure it out, that people hated it for the most part. And that they eve retrofitted two more ships to start DD before someone figuring it out. Reminds me of that show Undercover Boss where the guy running the company actually goes and works at one of their outlets and is shocked at what he runs actually does run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Georgeny said:

. . . Reminds me of that show Undercover Boss where the guy running the company actually goes and works at one of their outlets and is shocked at what he runs actually does run.

The difference here being that the changes in question are being imposed by the bosses including Jason Liberty who was promoted to President and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group after being CFO.   No matter how undercover he got, I don’t think these conditions would surprise him. 

As exemplified by this thread, food is very personal. My wife and I loved the MDR on Navigator OTS on our first cruise in 2008. We loved the MDR food on Anthem OTS in October 2023 (transatlantic). I left a review of Anthem on Cruise Critic where you see my entire multipage review.

JEH10641

31 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

As exemplified by this thread, food is very personal.

Indeed.  We can count on one hand the meals we actually thought we're subpar.  We've only been on 70 or 80 cruises, so waiting for the 'other shoe' to drop any minute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2024 at 3:36 PM, jeh10641 said:

As exemplified by this thread, food is very personal. My wife and I loved the MDR on Navigator OTS on our first cruise in 2008. We loved the MDR food on Anthem OTS in October 2023 (transatlantic). I left a review of Anthem on Cruise Critic where you see my entire multipage review.

JEH10641

First allow me to compliment you on one of the most comprehensive reviews I have ever read, thank you. I am happy that you were happy with the food offerings, maybe transatlantic was better? I am afraid though reading the reviews before and after your happiness with the food is the exception not the rule.

Though it is obvious that in the area of food there are a wide range of opinions currently the thoughts that the RCL food quality and menu selection have been diminished seems to be a constant note now.

Again, enjoyed reading your review and thank you for taking the time to encompass so much information.   George in NY

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

I am afraid though reading the reviews before and after your happiness with the food is the exception not the rule.

Hopefully people going on their first cruise don't dedicate to reading reviews. I can see how people would go on a cruise with a negative mindset.  

Now when people have positive experiences it's looked at with a skeptical view, either it's an exception or they have different standards.  Enjoying a cruise offering is almost looked down upon these days. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Hopefully people going on their first cruise don't dedicate to reading reviews. I can see how people would go on a cruise with a negative mindset.  

Now when people have positive experiences it's looked at with a skeptical view, either it's an exception or they have different standards.  Enjoying a cruise offering is almost looked down upon these days. 

Can't agree with " enjoying a cruise offering is almost looked down upon " comment. Many cruise reviews if not most are very positive in many areas. Most cruise reviews are also very honest and honest cruise reviews will almost always pro and con areas, just like life. As with life one should take any review with as no more than a personal opinion and information to assist with selection.

Just bought a dryer, had to be this particular dryer due to depth size required. Reviewers praised the capacity and drying ability etc. Only con was the loudest end of cycle buzzer in the world and no off with fir same. I thought to myself how loud can the car thing be after all. I bought dryer, buzzer will knock you out of your chair from another floor and room. But I was at least prepared 😉

We've done well over 100 cruises over 40 years and still always read reviews of ships before booking. Can always learn from others experiences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgeny said:

First allow me to compliment you on one of the most comprehensive reviews I have ever read, thank you. I am happy that you were happy with the food offerings, maybe transatlantic was better? I am afraid though reading the reviews before and after your happiness with the food is the exception not the rule.

Though it is obvious that in the area of food there are a wide range of opinions currently the thoughts that the RCL food quality and menu selection have been diminished seems to be a constant note now.

Again, enjoyed reading your review and thank you for taking the time to encompass so much information.   George in NY

Hi, George,

Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it. When i write a review, whether for a cruise or a book, I try to an honest appraisal based on my experience. I am not sure why negative reviews seem to dominate Cruise Critic's boards on RCCL food. Our experience, albeit only two lengthy trips 15 years apart, has been very positive. Fellow cruisers with whom I spoke on Anthem felt the food was very good but somewhat limited in selection. WEe felt there was more than enough choices for each meal.

We are displaced New Yorkers ourselves. My wife from the Bronx and I from Westchester County.

Jim

19 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, George,

Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it. When i write a review, whether for a cruise or a book, I try to an honest appraisal based on my experience. I am not sure why negative reviews seem to dominate Cruise Critic's boards on RCCL food. Our experience, albeit only two lengthy trips 15 years apart, has been very positive. Fellow cruisers with whom I spoke on Anthem felt the food was very good but somewhat limited in selection. WEe felt there was more than enough choices for each meal.

We are displaced New Yorkers ourselves. My wife from the Bronx and I from Westchester County.

Jim

What's wrong with your font settings?

As for food:

the quality has gone way down and so has the selection - both are facts and not subjective!

Edited by cruiseboy89130

20 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, George,

Jim

Jim,

We sailed the Liberty Seas in June after the RCL menu had just changed there. I wonder if your October Anthem cruise was the old menu or the new menu? I don't know if they staged the change.

Looking at your history of sailings you started cruising when I was 9 years old. I have to think that you were cruising with parents in 1959? The Dam ships use the same names over and over. I sailed the newer Nieuw Amsterdam October 2023, a whole different ship and experience I am sure.

I was raised in Rye, now in upper Westchester.

2 hours ago, Georgeny said:

I wonder if your October Anthem cruise was the old menu or the new menu?

It was the new menus.  IMO, the quality was much improved over the Spring 2023 Anthem TA (also new menu) and September 2023 Liberty CA/NE sailing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgeny said:

Jim,

We sailed the Liberty Seas in June after the RCL menu had just changed there. I wonder if your October Anthem cruise was the old menu or the new menu? I don't know if they staged the change.

Looking at your history of sailings you started cruising when I was 9 years old. I have to think that you were cruising with parents in 1959? The Dam ships use the same names over and over. I sailed the newer Nieuw Amsterdam October 2023, a whole different ship and experience I am sure.

I was raised in Rye, now in upper Westchester.

Hi, George,

Pelham and Larchmont (Mamaroneck High School '59). Seattle area since January 1975.

1959 sailing was part of a student tour of Europe for 55 days. Think "Grand Tour" of yore but on a budget. Nieuw Amsterdam had three classes then - first, cabin, tourist (seems like cruise lines are reverting back to that). We were in the middle class. It had a ROUND porthole about 15 inches in diameter, on a lower deck. The seas got so bad that the room attendant had to lower a steel covering over it and lock it in place for 2 or 3 days. The waves were over the porthole.

I was not yet 18 and on my own with 29 other kids who were either going to be high school seniors, or like me, were going to start college.

Jim 

I believe that we had the "new" menus on our transatlantic. They were mostly themed for each night. On one night the head waiter brought us, without asking, an apple dessert no longer on the "new" menus but had been a favorite of our dining partners. The regular staff prepared a pot of fresh brewed "unsweetened" ice tea for us each night because Anthem OTS was not stocking the unsweetened ice tea mix as the ship had been in England/Europe for several months. Those clientele apparently prefers sweetened.

12 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

What's wrong with your font settings?

As for food:

the quality has gone way down and so has the selection - both are facts and not subjective!

Thanks for letting me know I am wrong! I have a post graduate degree, retired at 57, and cruise 1-2 times a month, usually on RCI. I must be clueless because I like the food on RCI and will continue to cruise on RCI every month. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2