ETIAS

Don’t I remember correctly that EES (which @phabric’s post above says is set to launch in October 2024) is a precursor to ETIAS, but that ETIAS wouldn’t launch until some time later?

If you look at the website posted by @marys350 it is clear that EES is NOT the same as ETIAS. In the news section it says that ETIAS is coming mid-2025. 

Edited by gnome12

Yes, it is EES that is due to start in October - this will mean collection of fingerprints and images at points of entry. ETIAS, the requirement to have a travel authorisation for non-visa nationals, is scheduled for mid-2025. See the FAQ at https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/faqs-etias_en

We have warned before about relying on non-official websites. There is a high likelihood that they will turn into unnecessary, and potentially fraudulent, intermediaries once the requirement to apply for an ETIAS comes in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

We have warned before about relying on non-official websites. There is a high likelihood that they will turn into unnecessary, and potentially fraudulent, intermediaries once the requirement to apply for an ETIAS comes in. 

This is so important!  I have almost gotten caught up with official looking websites that ended up wanting money to do a service that is free on the official government website.  Always, always, use the official websites for anything!!!

Happy travels everyone!

~Nancy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ski ww said:

With all the fraud going on how do you know you are using the official government website?

Well, for a start it has been posted twice in this thread and also the previous thread on this topic. 

For EU matters, look for the europa.eu domain:

image.jpeg.be9e8e2b9570c8b255cd562252b76cf2.jpeg

9 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Yes, it is EES that is due to start in October - this will mean collection of fingerprints and images at points of entry. ETIAS, the requirement to have a travel authorisation for non-visa nationals, is scheduled for mid-2025.

Interesting. As an ETIAS will be valid for 3 years,  I thought the purpose of an  EES was to register arrival into and exit out of, the EU due to the number of days stay in the EU being regulated with a maximum number of days capped at (I think ) 90 days in a period of 180 days, but I am no expert and this would need to checked on official websites.

46 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Interesting. As an ETIAS will be valid for 3 years,  I thought the purpose of an  EES was to register arrival into and exit out of, the EU due to the number of days stay in the EU being regulated with a maximum number of days capped at (I think ) 90 days in a period of 180 days, but I am no expert and this would need to checked on official websites.

I think that what you are saying proves the point. EES has to be working and all bugs ironed out before the ETIAS requirement comes in. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I'm not really sure what point you are making, but implementation of EES was always a necessary, but not sufficent, prerequisite for introduction of ETIAS. 

You mention "an EES" and "an ETIAS", which might be confusing - the 'S" in both stands for System. Official language is "an ETIAS travel authorisation" and as EES just identifies and registers entry/exit there isn't "an EES" for a traveller - you will simply be in the system. It will provide an accurate count of days, as you mention, so I'll finally be able to throw away my EU travel days spreadsheet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

It will provide an accurate count of days, as you mention, so I'll finally be able to throw away my EU travel days spreadsheet!

Only if you are able to look it up. Otherwise, you still need to know whether you have days remaining for that 2 week European vacation that you have planned. 

6 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Only if you are able to look it up. Otherwise, you still need to know whether you have days remaining for that 2 week European vacation that you have planned. 

Fortunately, as this is one of the main purposes of the EES, they have this covered….

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees/tools-and-services_en

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I'm not really sure what point you are making, but implementation of EES was always a necessary, but not sufficent, prerequisite for introduction of ETIAS. 

I wasn't actually aware that" I was making a point" and apologise that my comment left it open to misinterpretation.  I thought only that I was explaning that EES and ETIAS are two different systems, each serving a different purpose as I thought there was some confusion between the two and their start dates in the earliest posts on this thread..

I will definitely take a step back from any future threads and posts referring to either and leave responses to the experts, but before I do, just one question..

I did find this interesting as I wasn't aware of it.

it is EES that is due to start in October - this will mean collection of fingerprints and images at points of entry.

Does anyone know how this will affect cruise pax on itineraries which include more than one EU country, as leaving ports of call in one country will usually mean sailing in International waters before arrival into the next country.  Will cruise pax be exempt or will they need to undergo fingerprinting and image taking for the first port  of each country on their itinerary?

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, floridababa said:

I'm super confused. ETIAS is to begin mid 2025. That I got.

What is EES?  I'm always doing cruises so not sure if this is something I need to apply for. We are from USA

No you don't need to apply for EES. When you arrive they will not stamp your passport but will register you electronically.