Just off Prima- Not the best cruise...

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

i was no longer commenting on the inane phrase. 

Really?  Are you sure about that.  Let's see...

5 hours ago, UKstages said:

but then i went on to make a serious point... if one were to assume that a contemporary cruiser was somebody on the younger side... they only know what they know. one can't say that "contemporary cruisers" don't like buffets if the only buffet they know is the prima buffet, or even a larger buffet on a ship like the getaway or the joy,.. at which cutbacks have made the buffets choice and quality a shadow of its former incarnation.

You seem to be saying right there you were making a serious point about the inane phrase.   But lets' go back to the original text I was commenting on:

6 hours ago, UKstages said:

all kidding aside... the odd thing about what the "contemporary cruiser" is said to enjoy and prefer is that the contemporary cruiser is too young to know about anything else. when it is said that the contemporary cruiser doesn't like buffets... it must be acknowledged that, if true, in many cases, the contemporary cruiser onboard the prima only has the prima buffet on which to base a decision. the fact is that all types of cruisers don't like the prima buffet... it's  a lousy buffet. it has nothing to do with the cruiser's age and everything to do with the buffet's size, design and quality.

Hmmm... Most definitely talking abou tthe inane phrase there.  

So, why is it that you can make a pithy comment but when I express my opinion about that comment, you feel the need to lecture me and insist I am not able to comprehend what you were saying?   Is it possible that you simply don't like someone offering an opinion on something you wrote?  I'll assume that is the case.  Don't worry, it won't happen again.  You were right, I was wrong, you win.

46 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

So, why is it that you can make a pithy comment but when I express my opinion about that comment, you feel the need to lecture me and insist I am not able to comprehend what you were saying?   Is it possible that you simply don't like someone offering an opinion on something you wrote?  I'll assume that is the case.  Don't worry, it won't happen again.  You were right, I was wrong, you win.

my goodness.

i chose not to comment and critique every word in post #132 and to overlook the contradictions contained therein, but let's look at it now... you said that you understood the subtext and the context of the "contemporary cruiser" comment. but it's quite clear that you didn't because you went on in that post to explain it all and lecture me in a very pedantic way. why would you have done that if you understood the spirit in which my comment was made? there would have been no need to educate me because you knew that i already knew.

(i'm very sorry, but you'll have to supply your own yellow highlighter here; i can't be bothered.)

and that's the very post that began this dialogue! so the entire back and forth is based on your apparent misunderstanding of the way in which people in these here parts have taken to mocking the "contemporary cruiser.". 

the point about young cruisers likely not having anything to compare today's cruising to... ohmigosh... that point is indeed an entirely different point separate and distinct from the mocking of the "contemporary cruiser" moniker.

Edited by UKstages

What I dislike about this class of ships is how “cast system” it feels. I feel like we are going backwards with the haves and have nots. The Haven takes up a good third of this ship, at least. Most people absolutely cannot afford Haven, so we are left feeling like steerage on Titanic - squished in. I think problems on this ship could be solved if so much of the ship wasn’t reserved just for the well to do (that can probably afford to Viking or more luxury brands.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Majjie said:

What I dislike about this class of ships is how “cast system” it feels. I feel like we are going backwards with the haves and have nots. The Haven takes up a good third of this ship, at least. Most people absolutely cannot afford Haven, so we are left feeling like steerage on Titanic - squished in. I think problems on this ship could be solved if so much of the ship wasn’t reserved just for the well to do (that can probably afford to Viking or more luxury brands.)

It's kind of like the flights to get to the embarkation port. They have people in first class, then economy plus, then economy. Or you could fly Southwest where all the seats are the same. So I guess you could look for a cruise ship that doesn't have the Haven or similar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Majjie said:

You do realize that if NCL did away with Haven, they would just put more passengers into that area which would increase the passenger density and you'd be even more 'squished in'?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Majjie said:

Uhhhhh…Haven makes up about 6%, not 30%.

And, I’ve sailed in the solo cabins and Haven cabins (and everything in between) on Haven ships.

You can sail on the Margarita ship (formerly Celebration).  You can sail on old ships on any line.  All will offer cheap fares.  

Those experiences are much different than the Haven, Celebrity’s Retreat, Royal’s Star class, etc.  They cost more.  

Just like a Mercedes S Class is a different experience than driving a Chevy Cruze.  Different price points. 

Bigger, more luxurious cabins have always been part of the cruise ships.  They always cost more.  

The Four Seasons Hotel costs more than Motel 6.  Different experiences.

What you’re complaining about is the fact you either can’t or won’t pay for the Haven, and as such, no one else should be able to experience it, either!  Or, that you want the Haven experience, but don’t want to pay for it!

13 hours ago, Majjie said:

I third? 🤣 

Probably about 5% on the Away class ships and even less on the Jewel Class 

13 hours ago, Majjie said:

No way a third, not even close.

So what I have gathered is the Contemporary Cruiser likes to sail and sustain, willing to accept higher prices, less service, may like carts and buffet but eschew hash browns, for their convenience, of course.

Imo, part of Indulge problem is the guests.  Food comes out in nano second yet folks linger after eating.  Couples take up a six seat circular table with one person on each end so no sharing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Imo, part of Indulge problem is the guests.  Food comes out in nano second yet folks linger after eating.  Couples take up a six seat circular table with one person on each end so no sharing.

Agreed! We recognized this, so after eating tried to get out of there pretty quickly. I'll admit that on at least one occasion we probably stayed an extra ten minutes or so after we were done eating. 

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Imo, part of Indulge problem is the guests.  Food comes out in nano second yet folks linger after eating.  

The fine art of chair hogging comes to Indulge. (Okay, not "technically" chair hogging if the chairs are occupied...but same principle).

• Like 1

Then there was the group that occupied an outside table for most of the day playing some sort of board game.  For multiple days.  They were there through the lunch periods, not sure if they were there for dinner.

nail on the head!

but it's even more than that... because they camp out starting at 10:30 or 11 AM... playing cards, knitting, doing whatever the heck else it is that they do. then they eat, then they nibble, then they nosh, but then they stay till late afternoon. i'm sure some might even stay till the joint opens up for dinner service.

look, i get that the prima and viva have a paucity of indoor public spaces in which you can play cards or scrabble or monopoly or just sit and chat. so i understand why you might want to camp out somewhere. but when that somewhere is a restaurant at which there are too few tables, it's incredibly bad form.

same thing when, as a solo or a couple, you occupy a table of four or six and don't offer to share (the table, not necessarily your food).

20 hours ago, Majjie said:

For public areas, I feel like less space is reserved for Haven guests.  There is no Haven Observation lounge.  There is no large courtyard/pool.  Haven guests pretty much have the back area 16 and a small sundeck on 17. 

On the Away+ ships, there are 3 stories of public space set aside for the Haven.  

Edited by Liljo22

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

That's part of the flow management & logistical challenges for Indulge AND the buffet upstairs, which we "dislike" on sea days when outdoors isn't appropriate for seating ... sailing on a colder itinerary and when sea state are rough with near gale force wind/large waves.  Can't speak to Haven since we are frugal travelers - contemporary cruisers, we are not ...   Corporate brains apparently paying attention and tweaking the Viva and Aqua, making changes.

While they are back to the drawing boards, perhaps - take a closer look at the shopping corridors with the mini boutique store of high end goods, somehow ... Mrs. M isn't sold on the idea that declaring that the goods are "tax-free" is sufficient and prices aren't clearly on display, as in "truth in advertising".  

8 hours ago, news70 said:

just trivia q : does Prima have running track on the top deck as other NCL cruise does ? thanks 

I don't remember there being one. IIRC, deck 8 was the deck you could walk around, but not a running track.

20 hours ago, mking8288 said:

That's part of the flow management & logistical challenges for Indulge AND the buffet upstairs, which we "dislike" on sea days when outdoors isn't appropriate for seating ... sailing on a colder itinerary and when sea state are rough with near gale force wind/large waves.  Can't speak to Haven since we are frugal travelers - contemporary cruisers, we are not ...   Corporate brains apparently paying attention and tweaking the Viva and Aqua, making changes.

While they are back to the drawing boards, perhaps - take a closer look at the shopping corridors with the mini boutique store of high end goods, somehow ... Mrs. M isn't sold on the idea that declaring that the goods are "tax-free" is sufficient and prices aren't clearly on display, as in "truth in advertising".  

We've seen numerous times where they have raised prices only to have sale.  Of course, no different than on land, caveat emptor.

We didn't buy anything on Prima from shops.  Didn't have any extra obc, prices online or warehouse club better.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

This is the space that Haven has set aside on the Prima compared to the Away+ ships:

image.png.f4e15910f92bb8fbf46a1ea1eeacf9be.pngimage.png.00e604e1f0411c336d8c4ab4776d8e3e.png

Bliss:

image.png.cc4313e6ad91f356e59ff99a73f71236.pngimage.png.acd390d778d067382eb588572f187696.pngimage.png.327ea48acafdf153a54c8fab05ddd40a.png

And all the non orange not usable if bad weather.  The port side orange was fine and never too crowded on our trip except bar pretty busy.  Restaurant has two parts and tons of room.  I got the feeling our TA was unusual though as we'd see some folks in the hallway but we never saw them in the lounge or restaurant.  The elevators were a nice addition to quickly get around.

NCL Dining Menus - including specialty dining (with upcharge options) 2024 link as updated - sample for reference, up  to 21 dining menus are rotated. at the chef's discretion based on gallery inventory and availability, selected.  

Most recently, MDR lunch menu have daily chef's selections or specials, up to 3 in rotation - typically MDR is open for lunch on embarkation and full sea days only.  MDR breakfast also have, typically, 2 daiy specials or chef's selections as well, while the rest remain mostly unchanged. 

https://profcruise.com/ncl-menus-2024/

On 1/15/2024 at 2:10 PM, bluefish17 said:

I was recently in the Haven on the Viva and found it to be far superior to my only other Haven experience on Breakaway.

I was just looking at the Viva deck plans and was wondering about that Haven design. I’m glad you liked it but was wondering if you felt less engaged with other Haven passengers? With the cabins being away from the facilities, did you still feel like it was “all one thing”? 

On 1/19/2024 at 10:34 AM, schmoopie17 said:

The fine art of chair hogging comes to Indulge. (Okay, not "technically" chair hogging if the chairs are occupied...but same principle).

The lack of indoor space on Prima brings chair hogging to the extreme.  Obs lounge had hoggers too.  They camped out all day.  Or at least their stuff did.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 11:53 PM, news70 said:

just trivia q : does Prima have running track on the top deck as other NCL cruise does ? thanks 

there is no where to run or walk the deck!  Another complaint.  deck 8 walks sort of around but you have to weave in and around people at the pools and dining outside indulge.

• Like 1