Crown Princess Drinks Pkg vs pay as you go

jsn55

Travelling solo on Crown to Alaska in August.  Debating on getting the drinks package ... can someone tell me the appx cost of a glass of house champagne (prosecco probably) and a cocktail like Rum & Coke?  That's about all I drink.  TIA

Just off the Crown - I too like Prosecco, we had Princess Plus but I believe it was $10 a glass without it. (definitley glad I had the Package🙂) I don't do too many drinks like Rum and Coke, but it is probably around $8.  Happy cruising!

2 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Save the cost of Prosecco by bringing a 750 ml bottle with you. The rum drink you would have to purchase on the ship.

Good idea but a bottle doesn't last that long, what about day two?🙂🥂

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

https://profcruise.com/princess-oceannow-beverage-menu/

Current drink prices 

Plus beverage package is $64.99-18% gratuity

Premier beverage package is $84.99+18% gratuity.

@jsn55, obviously the standalone drink packages above would not be worth purchasing since  the ‘plus’ bundle which includes crew appreciation and 1 device WiFi is only $60/day, same for the premier bundle at $80/day.

Not exactly the answer to your question but you should consider the plus fare. The fare is $60/pp/day with the first two passengers in the cabin having to purchase the fare. It includes the daily gratuity, wifi unlimited internet the plus beverage package and some other benefits. My calculations have shown that it takes between 2 and 3 alcoholic beverages per day to break even, depending on how much of the unlimited non alcoholic beverages you consume.

Purchase of a stand alone beverage package makes no sense. The stand alone package is $64.99 + 18% = $76.69/day

Will you also be consuming:  water in a bottle? specialty coffees?  non-alcoholic drinks?  specialty desserts?  Gym classes?  

If I were cruising solo, I would purchase the plus package just to have virgin margaritas.  Two BEVERAGES a day will make this plus package worth while.

8 hours ago, skynight said:

Not exactly the answer to your question but you should consider the plus fare. The fare is $60/pp/day with the first two passengers in the cabin having to purchase the fare. It includes the daily gratuity, wifi unlimited internet the plus beverage package and some other benefits. My calculations have shown that it takes between 2 and 3 alcoholic beverages per day to break even, depending on how much of the unlimited non alcoholic beverages you consume.

Purchase of a stand alone beverage package makes no sense. The stand alone package is $64.99 + 18% = $76.69/day

My TA is taking over the booking and she needs to know exactly what I want so she can negotiate the best total cost for me.  I had forgotten how nice it was to order drinks from the cabin on my phone.  Thanks everyone, now I know what I'll know what to tell her.

11 hours ago, reedprincess said:

https://profcruise.com/princess-oceannow-beverage-menu/

Current drink prices 

Plus beverage package is $64.99-18% gratuity

Premier beverage package is $84.99+18% gratuity.

We shouldn't be recommending the standalone beverage packages IMO.  They are a rip-off and not cost-effective. 

It is also in accurate to use those standalone prices to compare or justify purchasing a package.  One should begin with $60/day and subtract out the items they would do anyway (typically Crew Appreciation and MedallionNet).  Perhaps the Ocean Now access.  Whatever net balance remains is for the bar tab and compare that to your personal typical habits.

Edited by Steelers36

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

My TA is taking over the booking and she needs to know exactly what I want so she can negotiate the best total cost for me.  I had forgotten how nice it was to order drinks from the cabin on my phone.  Thanks everyone, now I know what I'll know what to tell her.

If your TA gives you a cash discount off the cruise fare, you get that same discount off the portion for Plus ($60/day).  You can also purchase Plus on board Day 1 and then whatever OBC you have goes towards the cost.  You won't be getting a TA discount, but if you purchase trip insurance, your insurance cost is higher with the higher cruise fare that includes Plus. 

The Plus does cover the relatively new charge to order via the App - a flat $15 per voyage.  You can dodge the $5 RS fee by not phoning for room service.  Order in the App and have it delivered to your location (cabin) as part of the $15 Ocean Now service fee.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd just fill a water bottle with some rum and buy a big bottle of Coke/Coke Zero at your first port. If you feel guilty, buy a bottle of rum on board to take home to compensate them. With so much outside beauty and things like whales, and long port days, I wouldn't spring for a drinks package in Alaska, especially since it can get cold so poolside drinking isn't really attractive, with the Crown having no covered pool areas. Crown also doesn't have Alfredo's, which would be another reason to get Plus, and your cell plan might get coverage in Alaskan ports, which would lessen the need for wifi for an entire voyage. 

If you're solo and able to cruise out of SF/LA easily, you might look at getting up to Elite level through Pacific coastal cruises, which for 3/4-day trips twice or more a year give you double the cruise credits as a solo, so you could get to the Elite free mini-bar after 8 cruises of any length. I live near Vancouver, so I just did two short coastal cruises every fall/spring until I got to Elite. The minibars don't usually include rum, but the vodka, whiskey, and gin they usually give goes well with the non-alcoholic options you can swap for. I also use shareholder credit to buy drinks on board, so that's another option to get 'free' drinks.