World Cruise on Serenity - Need Info RE: Red Sea Segment

boatbob

Have been reading posts about the Athens to Mumbai Cruise on Symphony - it appears that most cruise lines are canceling the Red Sea segment - going around the Cape of Good Hope & up the coast of Africa without passengers - it is suggested in some posts that passengers will disembark in Singapore - No word from Crystal - am really getting nervous about the very possible trip termination. Any thoughts or guidance?  Maybe Keith would ask around??  Please!!

Barbara

1 hour ago, boatbob said:

Any thoughts or guidance?  Maybe Keith would ask around?? 

Why not get your TA onto it? They have the appropriate channels into Crystal and should be able to get you an update 

I don’t believe a decision has been made yet though 

That segment of the WC is about 3 months from now. A lot can happen in that time both good and bad. I find it interesting how a small country and terrorists can paralyze such an important shipping route. 
Hopefully, the WC will go on as planned.

• Like 2

SS is just starting to address its Feb 12 sailing from Mumbai to Singapore. As Crystal’s sailings are one and two months later, as bayonejoe says, it’s too soon to expect an answer to such a fluid situation so soon. 

• Like 5

I think most of the dead heading is for ships on short cruises,  No real answer but I can imagine something not often done and a big change but how about around Cape of Good Hope, partly up the African coast and a southern transatlantic to Rio, up to the Amazon to Manaus, and then up to Miami.  Not sure exactly how the timing would work out  but in the case of a World Cruise with hundreds of passengers already planning to go to Miami or San Diego I would think it would at least be a possibiliy.

Roy

• Like 2

The issues will not be resolved in 3 months' time and itineraries should be decided earlier rather than later.  As mentioned by earlier post Silversea has addressed the situation. Their ship was turned around in the Red Sea and back through the canal to Athens to disembark. The decision was made one day before the US /allied attacks on the terrorists in Yemen.   Three cruises to the Emirates on to Mumbai then were cancelled.  The ship is starting down the west coast of Africa today without passengers hoping to resume voyage from Mumbai aiming to get there 12 February.   That is not a short cruise.  Ship must be positioned in the Indian Ocean for all the SE Asia and far east itineraries for the rest of 2024. 

Hopefully Crystal makes their decision within next week with likely starting in Mumbai and offering passengers a refund and/or offers to continue with new itinerary. 

44 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

The issues will not be resolved in 3 months' time and itineraries should be decided earlier rather than later.  As mentioned by earlier post Silversea has addressed the situation. Their ship was turned around in the Red Sea and back through the canal to Athens to disembark. The decision was made one day before the US /allied attacks on the terrorists in Yemen.   Three cruises to the Emirates on to Mumbai then were cancelled.  The ship is starting down the west coast of Africa today without passengers hoping to resume voyage from Mumbai aiming to get there 12 February.   That is not a short cruise.  Ship must be positioned in the Indian Ocean for all the SE Asia and far east itineraries for the rest of 2024. 

Hopefully Crystal makes their decision within next week with likely starting in Mumbai and offering passengers a refund and/or offers to continue with new itinerary. 

Just how do you know that issues will not be resolved 

What is your source of information?

We are on Symphony now. Looks like about 100 pax to Bali. Not sure after that. 
much speculation about whether we will get as far as Mumbai. If you consider time, mileage and speed it looks like Singapore is logical time to kick us off and then deadhead around Africa to get to the lucrative Med season. 
suspect Serenity will do the same although they are a few weeks behind us. 

17 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

then deadhead around Africa to get to the lucrative Med season. .…suspect Serenity will do the same although they are a few weeks behind us. 

Really? - I can’t see Serenity kicking 150-200 Word Cruise guests, can you?

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 2

They sure are note going to carry them all around Africa with no stops except for fuel and I doubt they will want to risk them through the Red Sea. 
Maybe we will hear from someone on board Serenity with better info. 

The general feeling aboard the Symphony (from the officers) is that it is too early for a decision.  Planning for a change in itinerary is complicated and I understand that alternative plans are being discussed.  World events can change rapidly and I think all passengers would vote on taking the safe course of action even if it involved c cruise cancellation.

Not to sure how they think it can be too early to make a decision when other lines have already cancelled cruises and are taking the Africa option without passengers, plus numerous cargo carriers also going around Africa rather than sail through the Bab El Mandab strait.

It’s interesting that whilst other lines were cancelling cruises Crystal was trying to sell a double chairman’s cruise and a five day cruise, especially when the likelihood of either taking place is almost zero. 

We are meant to be joining Symphony in Mumbai for Mumbai to Athens, but I have resigned myself to the fact that the cruise is not going to happen. If the intention is to deadhead from Singapore across towards Cape Town, and on to the Med, (because it’s a cheaper option than going up to Mumbai) then Crystal should at least give their passengers early warning that their cruise is cancelled because other plans and flights in and out have to be cancelled/sorted out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

The general feeling aboard the Symphony (from the officers) is that it is too early for a decision.  Planning for a change in itinerary is complicated and I understand that alternative plans are being discussed.

It may be too early for Crystal management, but it sure isn't too early for all the maritime experts here at CC.

😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

And it is also not too early for management of other cruise lines 😄. We could speculate if the conflict in that region will take long or not but no one really knows. Conflicts are taking longer than expected nowadays.

I wonder if insurances cover costs associated with this situation 🧐

Ivi

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

And it is also not too early for management of other cruise lines 😄. We could speculate if the conflict in that region will take long or not but no one really knows. Conflicts are taking longer than expected nowadays.

I wonder if insurances cover costs associated with this situation 🧐

Ivi

Which cruise lines have cancelled/changed their March and April sailings already?

The list so far is:
Royal Caribbean - Silversea

MSC

NCL

Oceania

There are numerous large carriers rerouting around Africa including:

Hapag-Lloyd

Maersk

NYK

The Carnival brand is still considering their options. 

26 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Which cruise lines have cancelled/changed their March and April sailings already?

26 minutes ago, TER777 said:

What I have read is that MSC has cancelled three itineraries for April. 

„Swiss-Italian operator MSC Cruises said on Wednesday it had cancelled three trips in April from South Africa and the United Arab Emirates to Europe due to the Red Sea crisis.
"The safety of passengers and crew is the number one priority and as there was no viable alternative itinerary, the company has regrettably had to cancel the voyages," MSC Cruises said. "The three ships will transfer directly to Europe without any passengers on board and avoid transiting through the Red Sea."”

I'll also posted this as a stand-alone thread.

Keith

Press Statement: Crystal Cruises Navigates Red Sea Situation with Safety in Mind

In light of the current situation in the Red Sea, Crystal remains committed to prioritizing the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We understand the evolving dynamics and are actively monitoring the situation, maintaining open communication with relevant authorities and security firms to make informed decisions.

Our team is diligently working to create alternate itineraries, recognizing the potential need to make adjustments should the need arise to cancel voyages that transit the Red Sea. Throughout this process, we will maintain an ongoing conversation with our guests to ensure their preferences are considered and addressed. For our World Cruise Guests, we will confirm that any adjustments will not impact Crystal Serenity’s ability to reach Miami by June 8, 2024.

Once a final decision is made, we will immediately notify all guests who may be impacted. Guests and crew can rest assured that any necessary adjustments will be handled thoughtfully. Considerations such as adjusting ship provisions and the impact on containers in transit, adapting travel plans (including visas) for our dedicated crew members, and rebooking or, if necessary, canceling previously scheduled ports will be addressed with care. Any necessary modifications to itineraries will be carefully managed to prevent any cascading effects on our operational systems. We thank guests and crew for their understanding during this process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1