USA to Singapore

FlaMariner

We are flying to Singapore in October from ATL.......(one way flight...cruising back to USA on Carnival)

Advice needed on flights......

• No cruise ship air seems to be available (thinking it's not the usual Carnival stomping ground so they aren't offering air)
  • thinking I just want to get there and not do stopovers (but convince me otherwise)
  • like the idea of flying Singapore Airlines (heard they are great and this would be the chance)
  • Singapore has USA gateways out of LAX, San Fran and Seattle.....on the west coast...San Fran looks like the shortest flight and there are 2 flights a day vs 1 at the other airports....I could fly free (points) to the west coast and then connect w/Singapore or book w/Singapore all the way (w/their partners)
  • we are fine with coach in the back of the bus
  • I'm all about paying the lowest price

What would you do?  

It's a long flight.....

11 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We are flying to Singapore in October from ATL.......(one way flight...cruising back to USA on Carnival)

Advice needed on flights......

• No cruise ship air seems to be available (thinking it's not the usual Carnival stomping ground so they aren't offering air)
  • thinking I just want to get there and not do stopovers (but convince me otherwise)
  • like the idea of flying Singapore Airlines (heard they are great and this would be the chance)
  • Singapore has USA gateways out of LAX, San Fran and Seattle.....on the west coast...San Fran looks like the shortest flight and there are 2 flights a day vs 1 at the other airports....I could fly free (points) to the west coast and then connect w/Singapore or book w/Singapore all the way (w/their partners)
  • we are fine with coach in the back of the bus
  • I'm all about paying the lowest price

What would you do?  

It's a long flight.....

I would not fly that distance in less than Premium Economy.  I have done China, Japan, South Africa, Australia, Argentina - all long flights.  If you can afford it, do yourself a favour and do at least Premium.

You did ask what I would do....

If you already have to do one internal flight in the US, then why not consider Singapore Airlines out of Newark?

This is non-stop from New York to Singapore at 19 hours.  All seats, if I am understanding correctly are Premium Economy at the base level.

If you are only doing one way to Singapore, then you can get a seat on this flight for about $750.00 CDN which is less in USD by about 30%.

• Thanks 1

"Singapore Airlines" and "lowest price" are two things that rarely go together. Be aware that Singapore will likely not be your cheapest option...but it may be your best. Just be aware that "cheapest" and "best" are often not the same statement. 

I'm very much a fan of just getting there. Stopovers aren't my thing. Other people love them, but if you're looking for someone to convince you to stopover, it won't come from me. 

I would book one ticket the whole way. Cobbling together separate tickets is a recipe for disaster. 

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

This is non-stop from New York to Singapore at 19 hours.  All seats, if I am understanding correctly are Premium Economy at the base level.

Yes, all premium economy and business. Only like 160 seats total on the A350-900ULR. 

Singapore airlines is worth the price, but you are right Zach1213, they are not low price.

However, for the CAD price of about $1,500.00 round trip NY to Singapore in a Premium Economy seat, is cheaper for me in Canada than most flights to Europe in Economy.

I do however have to get to NY from Toronto first which is not calculated in the price.

47 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I do however have to get to NY from Toronto first which is not calculated in the price.

Could you hop the border and do BUF-EWR-SIN via United/Singapore? 

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Singapore airlines is worth the price, but you are right Zach1213, they are not low price.

Right now, Singapore is the same price as American & Delta from ATL......

Any intel on these choices??.....ATL - SIN.....all in Economy but one

• Turkish $932 23 hours (connect Istanbul)
  • Singapore $940 24 hours (connect SFO)
  • Singapore $1156 premium  29 hours (connect JFK)
  • Singapore $870 28 hours (connect IAH and MAN)
  • Delta $1231 26 hours (connect Seoul)
  • American $1240 27 hours (connect Narita)
  • United $1243 23 hours (connect SFO)

I'm leaning towards the 2nd one....Why?  Low price, short time, one connection, and I get to fly on Singapore Airlines......2nd choice is the first one.

What says the air experts on here?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Any intel on these choices??.....ATL - SIN.....all in Economy but one

• Turkish $932 23 hours (connect Istanbul)
  • Singapore $940 24 hours (connect SFO)
  • Singapore $1156 premium  29 hours (connect JFK)
  • Singapore $870 28 hours (connect IAH and MAN)
  • Delta $1231 26 hours (connect Seoul)
  • American $1240 27 hours (connect Narita)
  • United $1243 23 hours (connect SFO)

If you can afford the extra $200, I would definitely do the Premium via JFK. If you can't, I agree, the SQ flight via SFO would probably be my choice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

$200 differential for Singapore PE over coach is a no brainer in my book.  I'd have thought the difference would be a lot more.

Your body can thank me later.

Agree except for the timing....I need to check again but the total travel time (because of JFK layover) was 5 hours longer than ATL - SFO - SIN

Also, the $200 more fare was for Premium Economy. 

Edited by FlaMariner

45 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

Did you check on Newark to Singapore?  That way, you could fly United from Atlanta - all on Star Alliance.  

Just did.  Good suggestion but.....

Singapore does not show a connection thru EWR.....from ATL

United will fly ATL - EWR - SFO - SIN in 29 hours with same high United fare of $1200. 

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree except for the timing....I need to check again but the total travel time (because of JFK layover) was 5 hours longer than ATL - SFO - SIN

Also, the $200 more fare was for Premium Economy. 

Dont worry about the time.  Plain coach will be more painful than PE.

If you take the "shortest" trip, it will also be the more difficult one.  Or so you will know afterwards.

• Thanks 1

We're solving this a different way. Flying to Sydney to do Splendor via Fiji. Then a nice visit, post cruise #1  'down under'. Then a flight from Melbourne to Singapore. Retirement rocks. We'll see you onboard. 

• Like 1

The last time we flew to Singapore, we used a cruise line deal (a CCL company) with China Airlines (Business Class) from JFK to Taipai and later on to Singapore.   The flight was excellent and our Business Class deal was very reasonable.  We are also fans of Turkish Air, which has excellent Business Class and also allows a multi-day stopover in Istanbul with the airline providing free hotel vouchers (I think its 2 nights for Business Class) in a 5* Hotel.  It is a good deal since Istanbul is a terrific city...especially when you pay no extra for air or a hotel :).

I am not sure, but I think the free hotel deal is only on flights booked through Turkish Air.  They may not honor that deal with a cruise/air booking.

While we do really like Singapore Air, that airline usually comes at a premium vs some other options.  

Hank

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the intel.....I'm the OP. 

We booked ATL - JFK - SIN...thru Singapore Airlines.....(ATL - JFK is w/Jet Blue, then Singapore Airlines JFK - SIN)

The one way flight in Premium Economy is $1,156 per passenger. 25 hours and 20 minutes of travel.....Leaving on a Tuesday and arriving on a Thursday  (blows my mind). LOL. 

Singapore Airlines was the one of the lowest prices.....within a few dollars of Turkish Air and way under the prices of Delta/Emirates/United/American/JAL/China etc. 

The cruise is on Carnival and the've been telling me "technical issue" for the last month as to why their "fly2fun" isn't showing flights.  I have a theory that this cruise (repositioning because of dry dock) will not offer air because this is not in Carnival's regular "stomping ground" of ports.  

Thanks again for the guidance......we are excited for this trip....bucket list stuff for us. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Leaving on a Tuesday and arriving on a Thursday  (blows my mind). LOL. 

Yeah that's always trippy. I fly between the US and Australia/NZ quite often, and you lose a day in between. Once year, that missing day was my wife's birthday so I gave her the excuse that we didn't need to celebrate because her birthday didn't exist for me 🙂

The next year, her birthday was the day I was coming back from Australia, which is repeated...so I had to celebrate double that year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Once year, that missing day was my wife's birthday so I gave her the excuse that we didn't need to celebrate because her birthday didn't exist for me 🙂

The next year, her birthday was the day I was coming back from Australia, which is repeated...so I had to celebrate double that year. 

Karma's a *****. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what average prices are from east coast USA to Singapore in Business class?  December 2024 / January 2025?  I’m looking at JAL and a few others at $9,000 right now.   For two passengers.  Round trip.  Wondering if that is normal?  We have to go to Bali but I’ll look if I can get an add on one way flight.

Edited by zitsky

36 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does anyone know what average prices are from east coast USA to Singapore in Business class?  December 2024 / January 2025?  I’m looking at JAL and a few others at $9,000 right now.   For two passengers.  Round trip.  Wondering if that is normal?  We have to go to Bali but I’ll look if I can get an add on one way flight.

Details needed.

Is that $9000 per person or is it $4500 each?

Exactly what routing are your looking for?  Where does DPS fit in with your SIN flights?  An open jaw might be what you need, but unclear.

What "east coast" are you talking about?

When are you flying, and for how long?

Where are you looking for pricing?