USA to Singapore

FlaMariner

11 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Desired dates and routings always seem to be the equivalent of the Manhattan Project.  Top secret and shrouded in mystery and ambiguity.

I think this is too harsh. Some people may legitimately feel uncomfortable giving these details. But it does mean that it substantially limits the assistance that can be given, particularly if nobody else can then check whether the problem is reproducible.

At any rate, we now know that the route is RDU-DPS // SIN-RDU. And the dates seem to be in range for both the SQ and UA websites. A quick look on the UA website suggests that it will not offer SQ for the long-haul trans-Pacific flight (which may be because there seem to be no UA codes on these SQ-operated flights, so they would have to be fared using SQ fares), and the SQ website won't offer UA flights for domestic connections, as only B6 flights show up.

But the SQ fares do exist because (as rinshin says) they can be priced on ITA Matrix. So this may be one that requires either a call to SQ, or a travel agent.

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I think this is too harsh. Some people may legitimately feel uncomfortable giving these details. But it does mean that it substantially limits the assistance that can be given, particularly if nobody else can then check whether the problem is reproducible.

At any rate, we now know that the route is RDU-DPS // SIN-RDU. And the dates seem to be in range for both the SQ and UA websites. A quick look on the UA website suggests that it will not offer SQ for the long-haul trans-Pacific flight (which may be because there seem to be no UA codes on these SQ-operated flights, so they would have to be fared using SQ fares), and the SQ website won't offer UA flights for domestic connections, as only B6 flights show up.

But the SQ fares do exist because (as rinshin says) they can be priced on ITA Matrix. So this may be one that requires either a call to SQ, or a travel agent.

Thanks.  I don’t post details on every post because I’m trying to learn, not asking you to do everything for me.  But I understand it’s hard to give advice without specifics.

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I've been following this discussion with interest and have wondered how the ITA Matrix works. As I understand it, Google Flights is a sub-set of the Matrix application with one significant feature (usually) added.... a fairly direct mechanism to access and purchase the fares without the assistance of a travel agent or one or more airline agents.

My specific interest is a trip from Ottawa to Auckland with a return from Sydney for next year.  I will be able to purchase this without problem from Air Canada and/or United and, as you might guess, spend a king's ransom on business class.

So, my question is: if I can identify  an itinerary in ITA Matrix at a favourable price with all the coding provided, what can I do with that?

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

So, my question is: if I can identify  an itinerary in ITA Matrix at a favourable price with all the coding provided, what can I do with that?

In many cases, you can book it on the airline's website by simply constructing the same itinerary. Unfortunately, many airline websites can't handle any complexity, so if it's anything out of the ordinary then you may either have to call the airline  to book it, or use a travel agent.

This is because ITA Matrix basically runs using the same information that's available to airline agents and travel agents: it has schedule, fare and availability information, so it can price the itineraries that it can see. It can't see every piece of information or price every possible combination in every search, because the number of possible combinations makes that impossible to do while keeping the required computing power within bounds; in many ways, ITA is (and was from the beginning) an exercise in learning how to manage the inherently unmanageable. But if you repeatedly search using ever-increasing restrictions (which has the effect of limiting the number of combinations and therefore allows more accurate attempts to identify the lowest-priced), you can get better and better results. The power of ITA, and its big advantage over Google Flights, is in the number and type of restrictions that you can impose so that you can prioritise your personal preferences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

In many cases, you can book it on the airline's website by simply constructing the same itinerary. Unfortunately, many airline websites can't handle any complexity, so if it's anything out of the ordinary then you may either have to call the airline  to book it, or use a travel agent.

We've had this situation.

In one case, surprisingly, even our experienced travel agent could "get the routing/pricing" as a single fare.  So he called the airline, and apparently it took a bit of time to convince someone that there was indeed a fare "showing" for those connecting flights.

And then... he was able to book us, at the fare we had seen, which was a very low fare1

So just in case your TA says it isn't showing or can't be done, have them call the airline and sort of "insist".  My guess is that both our TA and someone at the airline did indeed look at matrix to "see it for themselves" before trying to deal with what might have been a wild goose chase.

And I also don't know if there are sometimes flights/routings showing in matrix that really cannot be ticketed...?  We thought for a while that we had found one, but with a bit of time and effort, it turned out to be a valid fare.

GC

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We've had this situation.

In one case, surprisingly, even our experienced travel agent could "get the routing/pricing" as a single fare.  So he called the airline, and apparently it took a bit of time to convince someone that there was indeed a fare "showing" for those connecting flights.

And then... he was able to book us, at the fare we had seen, which was a very low fare1

So just in case your TA says it isn't showing or can't be done, have them call the airline and sort of "insist".  My guess is that both our TA and someone at the airline did indeed look at matrix to "see it for themselves" before trying to deal with what might have been a wild goose chase.

And I also don't know if there are sometimes flights/routings showing in matrix that really cannot be ticketed...?  We thought for a while that we had found one, but with a bit of time and effort, it turned out to be a valid fare.

GC

Thanks.  This is very helpful.  I think you mean the TA could NOT get the fare originally on a single ticket?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.  This is very helpful.  I think you mean the TA could NOT get the fare originally on a single ticket?

Ouch. 😠   Yes.  I meant even our TA could NOT get that same fare we had found,

Ah,.. if CC let us edit "later"... (even if it was only using strike-throughs so no original content was removed...

Thanks for the catch.

The only reason we ended up getting that fare on real tickets is that we knew our TA pretty well.  So when we KEPT insistiing that we were really seeing that, he believed us (enough!? 😉 ) to call the airline.  So don't be put off if the TA can't even see it.  If necessary, just HUCA (hang up call again) and hope for better luck with the next agent!

It made a BIG difference in our situation, so we were very grateful.

GC

My family of three flew to Singapore for a fifteen night Holland America cruise to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in December 2019 and an eight night NCL sailing to Thailand and Malaysia in December 2020. We flew from JFK on Singapore Airlines to Frankfurt Germany. That flight was seven hours with a three hour stay in Frankfurt. The following Singapore Airlines flight from Frankfurt to Singapore took twelve hours. Thank God we were fed four times on two long flights.

Okay, so I'm going - again - to repeat a thought that I seem to post to about half the posts on this board that involve premium cabin travel to Southeast Asia or Australia/NZ from North America.  To those that have already heard this spiel, mea culpa.  If the OP is one of those who've seen this idea before and have rejected it, apologies and carry on.

I keep seeing quotes of fares in the $4000 - $5000 range (or more) for business class round trip or open-jaw flights to Singapore or Bali or both, or to Australia or New Zealand or both.  That may be the best one can do given the timing and origin/destination details of the trips, if one is looking at conventional tickets.  

But many users of this board are serial cruisers, people who travel frequently to far-away places for their cruise holidays, maybe for other (non-cruise) purposes too.  For some of those - not all by any means - using special airfare products, in particular round-the-world fares, MIGHT be a method of getting more for your travel dollar/pound/Euro if you want to ride in the pointy end.  The key is to see if you can fit multiple destinations into the lifespan (one year) of a RTW ticket, or maybe to develop a "master plan" into which one can stage a couple of years' worth of long-distance travel.  

The basics:  Two of the three big airline alliances, Star Alliance and Oneworld, offer "round the world" tickets that allow up to 16 flights (separate landings and takeoffs) over a period of 12 months from the first flight.  You must go around the world, crossing both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans in the same direction, using member airlines of the alliance through which you bought the ticket, beginning and ending in the same country (with a few exceptions.) 

The RTW tickets issued by Star Alliance members like Singapore or United Airlines (or Lufthansa, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA and many others) are priced based on (a) how many miles you fly, with several mileage "tiers" from 26,000 to 39,000 flown miles) and (b) on where the travel begins and ends.  

Those issued by Oneworld members (American, British, Qantas, Japan, Qatar, many others) are priced on (a) how many continents you touch in the course of the trip, from 3 to 6, with no mileage maximum, and (b) also on where travel begins and ends.

It's (b) that makes these products attractive for some travelers, because the prices in business class vary hugely depending on from which country the travel begins, not on the nationality or residence of the traveler.  

I'll give an example using the OP from this thread.  A three continent (North America, Europe, Asia) RTW ticket bought through a Oneworld carrier with travel beginning and ending in the USA carries a base price of US$10,426.  The same ticket, but with travel beginning and ending in Canada, carries a base price of $7547.  If travel begins and ends in Norway, the base price is $4962, less than half the US base price.  

Star Alliance RTWs tend to me more expensive, often a lot more than their Oneworld counterparts, so I'm going to set that option aside for the time being.

Note that "base prices" are before taxes and airline fees that get tacked on.  These will vary considerably based on specific countries and airports visited, and on specific airlines used.  Generally these amount to between 10% and 20% of the base price.  

Now even the Norwegian base price - call it $5500 all in - is more than a $4500 round trip from RDU to SIN, not even counting the cost of getting to and from Oslo before and after the trip, i.e. "positioning" flights.  

But here's where the planning comes in.  Let's imagine the following for the Zitsky party.   Sometime before the SE Asia cruise departs, they fly from RDU to Oslo.  Maybe they go to see the northern lights in Tromsø, above the arctic circle.  A one-way ticket in economy in December will cost around $500, although at that time of year redeeming some frequent flyer miles is also usually good value.  

In Oslo they activate the RTW ticket that they purchased before leaving the US.  They board a plane in Oslo - in business class - and fly a couple of hours to Helsinki in Finland, where they board a Qatar Airways 789 with flat-bed seats for a flight to Doha.  In Doha they connect to a Qatar A350 with "Q-suites," which many feel is the best business class experience in the world, nonstop to Denpasar.  

Cruise complete, they fly from Singapore to, say, Tokyo or Hong Kong for a layover or just a plane change, then it's across the Pacific to, say, Dallas or Chicago, thence home to RDU.

Now here's where the value MIGHT come in.  You're home, having used maybe half a dozen of the 16 available flights included in the RTW ticket, and having used maybe 2 of the 12 months of its validity.  You have to be back in Norway before the ticket turns into a pumpkin in December, 2025, but meanwhile you've got the option of using 5 of the remaining flights within North America, which by the way includes the Caribbean and Central America.  You've also got three flights remaining available in Europe, which includes the Middle East and Mediterranean Africa.  

A late winter cruise to the Caribbean or a non-cruise week in Costa Rica or the Bahamas?  Or maybe a summertime Alaska cruise out of Vancouver?  Maybe both?  The ticket would get you there, in business or first class, with nothing else out of pocket.  

Then maybe sometime in the autumn you return to Scandinavia, or maybe a Mediterranean cruise, or maybe Scotland for the Edinburgh festivals, or to Morocco, or Israel, or Oktoberfest or.... who knows?  As long as you end up in Norway before the anniversary of the first flight, you're good.

So the $5-$6K you've spent for the ticket has not only got you to Singapore and Bali, but it's also gotten you to Alaska, or the Caribbean, or California, or the Greek Isles, or...  And all of it in the front of the plane.  You'll also have earned enough frequent flyer miles to ride home in business class once the RTW is over, or maybe you just pop for a new RTW and fly home, to be continued later to Australia, or maybe South America, or to South Africa for a safari.  It's a big world with a lot of options.  What it requires is something of a multi-year game plan - maybe a bucket list - that you can activate.  

I'll stop here for now.  Again, apologies to anyone who's heard this spiel before.  

Here's a post on TripAdvisor that covers the basics.  It's getting old, but most of the information is still valid.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7409073-About_round_the_world_RTW_tickets-Air_Travel.html

Happy planning!

• Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 4:59 PM, zitsky said:

Maybe too early.  I was trying to do this through Singapore Airlines.  Because I’ve been told they don’t allow you to book the direct flights through United.com.  True / false?  I certainly don’t see them.  I’m trying to maximize time in J class.

I booked my LAX to Singapore through Singapore Airlines and

my DPS to LAX on United.  They both were Singapore air jets.  

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I booked my LAX to Singapore through Singapore Airlines and

my DPS to LAX on United.  They both were Singapore air jets.  

I considered them but might go with JAL in business class.

Singapore Airlines:

1) Hard to connect from RDU.  “No flights available” in the app.  Others have said they can.  Not sure what I’m doing wrong.  I’ve been using the app and will call them instead.

2) Even if I get to JFK their non stop to SIN is on the A350 and I’ve heard some complaints about the business class seat.

Edited by zitsky

On 2/19/2024 at 6:02 AM, d9704011 said:

I've been following this discussion with interest and have wondered how the ITA Matrix works. As I understand it, Google Flights is a sub-set of the Matrix application with one significant feature (usually) added.... a fairly direct mechanism to access and purchase the fares without the assistance of a travel agent or one or more airline agents.

My specific interest is a trip from Ottawa to Auckland with a return from Sydney for next year.  I will be able to purchase this without problem from Air Canada and/or United and, as you might guess, spend a king's ransom on business class.

I do not know how this works currently but surprisingly, I used to be able to plug in the detailed complex routes  provided with ITA into Travelocity on my own and get ticketed as I normally avoid phone calls if I can help it.  But that was almost 15 years ago and have not had to use it that way since then.  I still use ITA but now go directly with the airline. 

On 2/19/2024 at 11:15 AM, Gardyloo said:

Okay, so I'm going - again - to repeat a thought that I seem to post to about half the posts on this board that involve premium cabin travel to Southeast Asia or Australia/NZ from North America.  To those that have already heard this spiel, mea culpa.  If the OP is one of those who've seen this idea before and have rejected it, apologies and carry on.

I keep seeing quotes of fares in the $4000 - $5000 range (or more) for business class round trip or open-jaw flights to Singapore or Bali or both, or to Australia or New Zealand or both.  That may be the best one can do given the timing and origin/destination details of the trips, if one is looking at conventional tickets.  

But many users of this board are serial cruisers, people who travel frequently to far-away places for their cruise holidays, maybe for other (non-cruise) purposes too.  For some of those - not all by any means - using special airfare products, in particular round-the-world fares, MIGHT be a method of getting more for your travel dollar/pound/Euro if you want to ride in the pointy end.  The key is to see if you can fit multiple destinations into the lifespan (one year) of a RTW ticket, or maybe to develop a "master plan" into which one can stage a couple of years' worth of long-distance travel.  

The basics:  Two of the three big airline alliances, Star Alliance and Oneworld, offer "round the world" tickets that allow up to 16 flights (separate landings and takeoffs) over a period of 12 months from the first flight.  You must go around the world, crossing both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans in the same direction, using member airlines of the alliance through which you bought the ticket, beginning and ending in the same country (with a few exceptions.) 

The RTW tickets issued by Star Alliance members like Singapore or United Airlines (or Lufthansa, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA and many others) are priced based on (a) how many miles you fly, with several mileage "tiers" from 26,000 to 39,000 flown miles) and (b) on where the travel begins and ends.  

Those issued by Oneworld members (American, British, Qantas, Japan, Qatar, many others) are priced on (a) how many continents you touch in the course of the trip, from 3 to 6, with no mileage maximum, and (b) also on where travel begins and ends.

It's (b) that makes these products attractive for some travelers, because the prices in business class vary hugely depending on from which country the travel begins, not on the nationality or residence of the traveler.  

I'll give an example using the OP from this thread.  A three continent (North America, Europe, Asia) RTW ticket bought through a Oneworld carrier with travel beginning and ending in the USA carries a base price of US$10,426.  The same ticket, but with travel beginning and ending in Canada, carries a base price of $7547.  If travel begins and ends in Norway, the base price is $4962, less than half the US base price.  

Star Alliance RTWs tend to me more expensive, often a lot more than their Oneworld counterparts, so I'm going to set that option aside for the time being.

Note that "base prices" are before taxes and airline fees that get tacked on.  These will vary considerably based on specific countries and airports visited, and on specific airlines used.  Generally these amount to between 10% and 20% of the base price.  

Now even the Norwegian base price - call it $5500 all in - is more than a $4500 round trip from RDU to SIN, not even counting the cost of getting to and from Oslo before and after the trip, i.e. "positioning" flights.  

But here's where the planning comes in.  Let's imagine the following for the Zitsky party.   Sometime before the SE Asia cruise departs, they fly from RDU to Oslo.  Maybe they go to see the northern lights in Tromsø, above the arctic circle.  A one-way ticket in economy in December will cost around $500, although at that time of year redeeming some frequent flyer miles is also usually good value.  

In Oslo they activate the RTW ticket that they purchased before leaving the US.  They board a plane in Oslo - in business class - and fly a couple of hours to Helsinki in Finland, where they board a Qatar Airways 789 with flat-bed seats for a flight to Doha.  In Doha they connect to a Qatar A350 with "Q-suites," which many feel is the best business class experience in the world, nonstop to Denpasar.  

Cruise complete, they fly from Singapore to, say, Tokyo or Hong Kong for a layover or just a plane change, then it's across the Pacific to, say, Dallas or Chicago, thence home to RDU.

Now here's where the value MIGHT come in.  You're home, having used maybe half a dozen of the 16 available flights included in the RTW ticket, and having used maybe 2 of the 12 months of its validity.  You have to be back in Norway before the ticket turns into a pumpkin in December, 2025, but meanwhile you've got the option of using 5 of the remaining flights within North America, which by the way includes the Caribbean and Central America.  You've also got three flights remaining available in Europe, which includes the Middle East and Mediterranean Africa.  

A late winter cruise to the Caribbean or a non-cruise week in Costa Rica or the Bahamas?  Or maybe a summertime Alaska cruise out of Vancouver?  Maybe both?  The ticket would get you there, in business or first class, with nothing else out of pocket.  

Then maybe sometime in the autumn you return to Scandinavia, or maybe a Mediterranean cruise, or maybe Scotland for the Edinburgh festivals, or to Morocco, or Israel, or Oktoberfest or.... who knows?  As long as you end up in Norway before the anniversary of the first flight, you're good.

So the $5-$6K you've spent for the ticket has not only got you to Singapore and Bali, but it's also gotten you to Alaska, or the Caribbean, or California, or the Greek Isles, or...  And all of it in the front of the plane.  You'll also have earned enough frequent flyer miles to ride home in business class once the RTW is over, or maybe you just pop for a new RTW and fly home, to be continued later to Australia, or maybe South America, or to South Africa for a safari.  It's a big world with a lot of options.  What it requires is something of a multi-year game plan - maybe a bucket list - that you can activate.  

I'll stop here for now.  Again, apologies to anyone who's heard this spiel before.  

Here's a post on TripAdvisor that covers the basics.  It's getting old, but most of the information is still valid.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7409073-About_round_the_world_RTW_tickets-Air_Travel.html

Happy planning!

Thanks for this detailed info.  My niece in Japan has done this twice for the around the world trips utilizing this.

On 2/20/2024 at 7:57 AM, zitsky said:

1) Hard to connect from RDU.  “No flights available” in the app.  Others have said they can.  Not sure what I’m doing wrong.  I’ve been using the app and will call them instead.

No airline app is as full-featured as their website.

For what it's worth, I just did a trip to Vietnam and used the JFK/Singapore/EWR nonstops as part of that.  If you can get to and from the New York area, it's absolutely worth it.  My flight left on a Thursday evening out of JFK around 10:30 pm and got to Singapore on Saturday morning.  I was able to get 2 good sessions of sleep (especially since it left so late), and I didn't have to fully wake up in the middle of the trip to change planes.  After a short layover and 3 hour flight to Hanoi, I was able to take a quick nap, go for a food tour of Hanoi so I would walk around and have food chosen for me, and I woke up on Sunday without any jet lag!   The cheap seats are premium economy, but weren't horribly more expensive than another flight where I would have had to wake up in the middle of the trip, and probably would have needed a few days to get over the 12-hour time change.  The seats are similar to first-class seats (not fully lie-back like business class, but pretty comfortable).  Some melatonin, ZQuil, and allergy medicine made me drowsy enough to sleep comfortable even though I was very excited about my trip (2 weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia -- wonderful!).

3 hours ago, Delawarealan said:

For what it's worth, I just did a trip to Vietnam and used the JFK/Singapore/EWR nonstops as part of that.  If you can get to and from the New York area, it's absolutely worth it.  My flight left on a Thursday evening out of JFK around 10:30 pm and got to Singapore on Saturday morning.  I was able to get 2 good sessions of sleep (especially since it left so late), and I didn't have to fully wake up in the middle of the trip to change planes.  After a short layover and 3 hour flight to Hanoi, I was able to take a quick nap, go for a food tour of Hanoi so I would walk around and have food chosen for me, and I woke up on Sunday without any jet lag!   The cheap seats are premium economy, but weren't horribly more expensive than another flight where I would have had to wake up in the middle of the trip, and probably would have needed a few days to get over the 12-hour time change.  The seats are similar to first-class seats (not fully lie-back like business class, but pretty comfortable).  Some melatonin, ZQuil, and allergy medicine made me drowsy enough to sleep comfortable even though I was very excited about my trip (2 weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia -- wonderful!).

Thanks for that.  We may go through JFK on either JAL or Cathay in business.  I didn’t enjoy our recent experience in Delta Comfort Plus on an A350 to South America.  Comfort Plus is a scam.  Not at all comfortable.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks for that.  We may go through JFK on either JAL or Cathay in business.  I didn’t enjoy our recent experience in Delta Comfort Plus on an A350 to South America.  Comfort Plus is a scam.  Not at all comfortable.

It is not a scam.  And it is not a premium economy ticket.

Comfort Plus is nothing more than a bit of extra legroom.  Delta explicitly tells you what to expect and what you are getting.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/onboard-experience/delta-comfort-plus

Now, if you were expecting a full premium economy experience, including the dedicated seats and more, then you should have bought the DL Premium Select product.  Which is also clearly explained on their website.

I suspect that you expected to get a PE experience by buying Comfort Plus -- and really hadn't seen what you were actually buying.  Were you expecting more than a few inches of legroom -- and thus calling it a scam?

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

It is not a scam.  And it is not a premium economy ticket.

Comfort Plus is nothing more than a bit of extra legroom.  Delta explicitly tells you what to expect and what you are getting.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/onboard-experience/delta-comfort-plus

Now, if you were expecting a full premium economy experience, including the dedicated seats and more, then you should have bought the DL Premium Select product.  Which is also clearly explained on their website.

I suspect that you expected to get a PE experience by buying Comfort Plus -- and really hadn't seen what you were actually buying.  Were you expecting more than a few inches of legroom -- and thus calling it a scam?

I flew 10 hours on Delta in “COMFORT PLUS” on the A350.  There was nothing COMFORTable about it.  It’s a scam.

This is not my first rodeo.  I know about Premium Select.  On Delta.  “Comfort” Plus is still a scam considering how much extra you pay.  It’s not called “Extra legroom Plus”.

If it makes you feel better I’ll be in Premium Plus on United for my next flight.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I flew 10 hours on Delta in “COMFORT PLUS” on the A350.  There was nothing COMFORTable about it.  It’s a scam.

This is not my first rodeo.  I know about Premium Select.  On Delta.  “Comfort” Plus is still a scam considering how much extra you pay.  It’s not called “Extra legroom Plus”.

If it makes you feel better I’ll be in Premium Plus on United for my next flight.

I'm still intrigued as to what exactly you expected "comfort" to mean? The website is pretty clear about what you get. 

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

So...you know what Premium Select gets you.  You know what Comfort Plus gets you.  You willingly paid for just Comfort Plus and then later complain about how much you paid for it.

But apparently a freely-entered purchase, with prior knowledge, is now a "scam".

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So...you know what Premium Select gets you.  You know what Comfort Plus gets you.  You willingly paid for just Comfort Plus and then later complain about how much you paid for it.

But apparently a freely-entered purchase, with prior knowledge, is now a "scam".

Complain about price?  You must have me confused with someone else.  I commented that something marketed as comfortable is not comfortable.  I said it costs more than economy with a little extra legroom.  Lipstick on a pig.  I’ll stick with Delta economy or buy business if that’s all right with you.

I learned in business school that you can get away with calling things whatever you want.  You know, like an “Infinite Veranda”.  Ever hear of that?  Comfort Plus is marketing pure and simple. I think Delta sells that product so people will be so miserable that they buy business class next time.  

I’ll guess that you’ll tell me that once I buy a product I can’t complain about it.  Maybe Celebrity should made regular cabins so unpleasant that everyone wants to book a suite?

Yes I actually have flown in first and business class and know the difference between them and economy.

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm still intrigued as to what exactly you expected "comfort" to mean? The website is pretty clear about what you get. 

I see your point now.  Why would I expect something called comfort plus to be…. “comfortable”?

Silly me.

Maybe Celebrity could sell “porthole view suites”?

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Comfort Plus is marketing pure and simple.

And in other news, tomorrow the sun will rise in the east.

Just what did you think you were going to get when you bought Comfort Plus? Did you think you were going to get anything other than a standard economy seat with a bit more legroom? What made you think that? Did you even read the product description?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Globaliser said:

And in other news, tomorrow the sun will rise in the east.

Just what did you think you were going to get when you bought Comfort Plus? Did you think you were going to get anything other than a standard economy seat with a bit more legroom? What made you think that? Did you even read the product description?

Does any airline call their seats “comfort” anything except Delta?  No because they know it’s not true.

Am I a total moron who doesn’t know what I’m flying on?  No.  I had an uncomfortable flight on a poorly named product which I knew was in economy.  I commented that it wasn’t comfortable at all.  Hence a misleading name.

Gee doesn’t he know about Business class?  I guess not.

Edited by zitsky