Voyager - Quiet corners to chill while waiting for cabins to open?

44 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

You can also order a colder medical frig for your room.  Contact Special Services at RCCL to request one.

Definitely - the "refrigerators" in the room are more like a cooler than a refrigerator.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Voyager has or used to have a bar right in it's entrance.  You could sit and have drinks anytime.

Yes it does but the OP was looking for somewhere quieter away from the WJ.

I am not sure they were even intending to have drinks.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:33 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

I'll be on Voyager soon.   Our carry-on will include 2-3 bottles of wine, One or two 12-packs of soda.  DH's CPAP and medicines.  Plus the normal swimsuits, etc.  I plan on bringing our collapsible wagon and having in it all the carry-on stuff for at least four of us.  My plan is to find a quiet corner with a comfy chair where I can park the wagon while I chill and read my kindle until the cabins open.  Where are some good places?   Looking at the maps it seems the library/game room would be ideal, but it is located with cabins, so I probably can't get to it until the cabins open.  

Note, before anyone fusses about wagons taking lots of room in the WJ, I don't think I'll even go there on embarkation day.   We'll have the free hot breakfast at the hotel, and I love breakfast.  Then we have early dining so I'll probably skip lunch.  I am looking for a place to chill that isn't the WJ.  

Do keep in mind the allowance is one bottle of wine person....and one 12 pack of water/soda per cabin.  

Otherwise, I agree with others...take elevator up to Viking Crown Lounge.  Best place to hang out.  🙂 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 12:33 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

My plan is to find a quiet corner with a comfy chair where I can park the wagon while I chill and read my kindle until the cabins open.  Where are some good places?   Looking at the maps it seems the library/game room would be ideal, but it is located with cabins, so I probably can't get to it until the cabins open.  

We always board as early as possible -- we want our vacation to start! -- and usually go to Windjammer first.  In my experience -- and I only sail in the fall, which is quiet, off-season -- all the complaints about Windjammer on Day 1 are overblown.  We don't always snag a prime seat by the window, but we have never been unable to find a seat.  People do take longer in the Windjammer on Day 1, but I think it's because people aren't yet accustomed to the layout and are taking longer to figure out where the silverware is located, where the ketchup is kept, etc.  And people do have their carry-on bags with them, which won't be true later in the week -- but most people seem to eat and move on.  

Sometimes we grab a table near the pool (these are in the shade) and go to the Windjammer one at a time for a plate. 

If you just want a small sandwich or snack, consider Promenade Cafe.  Pizza doesn't usually open until a little later. 

If you go to the main pool deck and walk forward, you'll find outdoor seating areas that're usually empty.  

The Solarium isn't usually busy early on, but the kids can't hang out with you there.  

If you want to go to the library, you'll be able to do so.  It's located between the cabins and never closes.  From the library you'll be able to see (closed) doors on each side leading to the cabins.   

We once hung out in the Promenade before cabins opened.  My husband had taken a hankering to have a beer from the British pub.  That was my least favorite choice -- I'd rather be outside somewhere.  

One more thing while you're talking about what to carry on:  Don't carry on your swimsuits.  If you think you want to enjoy the pools, slides and Flowrider early, board wearing your swimsuit + a cover-up.  Easier than finding a place to change, especially if your children are small.  

On 1/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

Everyone is super eager to get on.   My friend going with us, an experienced cruiser, said that the only thing keeping her family from arriving at 7am and pressing their faces to the glass is the hotel breakfast.  By arriving early, DH and the teenagers can explore the ship and get started on the  flowrider, etc. right away.  I'm the planner (if you guys hadn't noticed), so I'll be antsy that morning until we are physically on the ship.  Once on, I'll be quite happy to chill and read. 

We're always the same.  I don't think I'll ever fail to be excited on boarding day. 

You can check the app to see what time the Flowrider will open.  It's a popular activity, so have your husband arrive a little early.  He will have to sign waivers (for himself and the kids), and the kids will get a wristband that shows their father has given them permission for the whole cruise -- this will take a bit of time.  A tip for later in the cruise:  You can probably see the Flowrider line on your in-room TV -- have the kids check the TV to see how busy it is before heading out.  

Since so many people are using the pools /etc. early, the towel station will be open early too.  I suggest you talk to your kids about the importance of returning their towels.  It's smart to check towels out on the first day, then exchange rather than return them -- this means you'll always have fresh towels in your room (even if you want to swim early or late), and your room number will go in /out of the computer fewer times -- fewer opportunities for human error.  

On 1/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

I read something about some ships doing wine tastings that they don't publish, you just have to ask at the right bar early on Day1 to get on the list, so I might have someone in our group take my seat while I run and check into that.  

They'll do some wine tastings /liquor tastings on the first evening -- those are published in the app + the paper Daily Compass.  These are always mobbed.  

The staff is super-busy on the first day -- they have to turn over the rooms, bring luggage on board, manage muster drills, and more.  I find it hard to believe they're offering secret tastings.  If you're after some free alcohol, consider going to the Champagne Art Auction; I always enjoy seeing the auction, though I'd never buy at those prices.  

Let's talk about muster drill:  You want to knock that out as soon as possible after boarding -- so you can quit thinking about it.  

Another thing you should do early:  Go to the main dining room and check out your table assignment.  It'll be printed on your Ship ID.

On 1/24/2024 at 3:49 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

Just curious, where do most people go before the cabins are ready?   I'd guess pool and WJ.   Anywhere else?

Most people will be at these two places ... or on the move, just checking out the ship, not finding themselves a nest.  Once the captain announces that rooms are open, you'll be surprised how fast the place will clear out.  

On 1/24/2024 at 6:49 PM, firstimer2009 said:

Do they have a bar open on embark days?  We plan on eating a big breakfast but we are in a suite so will board early. I just want to go and hang out and have a drink in a quiet place until rooms our ready. Our Voyager cruise is in Sept. 

A bar?  No.  ALLLLL the bars.  The pool bar will be busy within an hour of embarkation beginning, and it won't slow down.  You can usually get faster service at the Solarium (adult pool) bar or the Plaza Bar (inside Windjammer).    

You didn't ask this, but you can use your boarding pass to purchase a drink before cabins open.  When you get to your cabin, your Ship ID cards will be in an envelope just outside the door.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We always board as early as possible -- we want our vacation to start! -- and usually go to Windjammer first.  In my experience -- and I only sail in the fall, which is quiet, off-season -- all the complaints about Windjammer on Day 1 are overblown.  We don't always snag a prime seat by the window, but we have never been unable to find a seat.  People do take longer in the Windjammer on Day 1, but I think it's because people aren't yet accustomed to the layout and are taking longer to figure out where the silverware is located, where the ketchup is kept, etc.  And people do have their carry-on bags with them, which won't be true later in the week -- but most people seem to eat and move on.  

Sometimes we grab a table near the pool (these are in the shade) and go to the Windjammer one at a time for a plate. 

If you just want a small sandwich or snack, consider Promenade Cafe.  Pizza doesn't usually open until a little later. 

If you go to the main pool deck and walk forward, you'll find outdoor seating areas that're usually empty.  

The Solarium isn't usually busy early on, but the kids can't hang out with you there.  

If you want to go to the library, you'll be able to do so.  It's located between the cabins and never closes.  From the library you'll be able to see (closed) doors on each side leading to the cabins.   

We once hung out in the Promenade before cabins opened.  My husband had taken a hankering to have a beer from the British pub.  That was my least favorite choice -- I'd rather be outside somewhere.  

One more thing while you're talking about what to carry on:  Don't carry on your swimsuits.  If you think you want to enjoy the pools, slides and Flowrider early, board wearing your swimsuit + a cover-up.  Easier than finding a place to change, especially if your children are small.  

We're always the same.  I don't think I'll ever fail to be excited on boarding day. 

You can check the app to see what time the Flowrider will open.  It's a popular activity, so have your husband arrive a little early.  He will have to sign waivers (for himself and the kids), and the kids will get a wristband that shows their father has given them permission for the whole cruise -- this will take a bit of time.  A tip for later in the cruise:  You can probably see the Flowrider line on your in-room TV -- have the kids check the TV to see how busy it is before heading out.  

Since so many people are using the pools /etc. early, the towel station will be open early too.  I suggest you talk to your kids about the importance of returning their towels.  It's smart to check towels out on the first day, then exchange rather than return them -- this means you'll always have fresh towels in your room (even if you want to swim early or late), and your room number will go in /out of the computer fewer times -- fewer opportunities for human error.  

They'll do some wine tastings /liquor tastings on the first evening -- those are published in the app + the paper Daily Compass.  These are always mobbed.  

The staff is super-busy on the first day -- they have to turn over the rooms, bring luggage on board, manage muster drills, and more.  I find it hard to believe they're offering secret tastings.  If you're after some free alcohol, consider going to the Champagne Art Auction; I always enjoy seeing the auction, though I'd never buy at those prices.  

Let's talk about muster drill:  You want to knock that out as soon as possible after boarding -- so you can quit thinking about it.  

Another thing you should do early:  Go to the main dining room and check out your table assignment.  It'll be printed on your Ship ID.

Most people will be at these two places ... or on the move, just checking out the ship, not finding themselves a nest.  Once the captain announces that rooms are open, you'll be surprised how fast the place will clear out.  

A bar?  No.  ALLLLL the bars.  The pool bar will be busy within an hour of embarkation beginning, and it won't slow down.  You can usually get faster service at the Solarium (adult pool) bar or the Plaza Bar (inside Windjammer).    

You didn't ask this, but you can use your boarding pass to purchase a drink before cabins open.  When you get to your cabin, your Ship ID cards will be in an envelope just outside the door.  

Our room is right below the Solarium bar so that will probably be where we hang.  Taking backpacks that day so we will be mobile!

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Yes it does but the OP was looking for somewhere quieter away from the WJ.

I was not responding to the OPs question, I was responding to your comment:

WJ is for food not drinks

On Voyager, we head for Bolero's to see if we can get our first Mojito...tradition.  Sometimes we can and other times they won't have the mint for one.  My second fave drink is a lemon drop with Orange peel.  I  pretty much stick with those two, I love martinis!  Lickin my chops right now...,we'll be there in 35 days

Edited by BecciBoo

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

You can also order a colder medical frig for your room.  Contact Special Services at RCCL to request one.

Yes, we requested a medicine fridge, and I did got an email back from special_needs listing what we'd have.  And I printed the email.   The medicine fridge is a really nice idea.  Either the hotels where I normally stay don't have that, or I just haven't asked.  

4 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I hadn't noticed this when you posted.  That is exceedingly helpful.  Daughter's medicine is over $1000/vial so I guard it closely.  It also has to be kept cold.  It would be nice to drop it off early and put it in the medicine fridge.   No one would know it is expensive, but still.   

A friend does it with his medicine and he said sometimes by the time he gets to his cabin there’s a special medical fridge sitting at the door 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

Our room is right below the Solarium bar so that will probably be where we hang.  Taking backpacks that day so we will be mobile!

I love hanging out in the Solarium (not just on Embarkation Day).  The main pool is too loud for me. 

We also board carrying just a backpack, but we don't have kids.  Well, I mean, we do, but they're adults and can carry their own stuff.  

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I was not responding to the OPs question, I was responding to your comment:

WJ is for food not drinks

You can get both in Windjammer.  Often I go into Windjammer just to pick up a drink.

You know a while ago, in the bar area in WJ on Voyager, there was a running water wall feature, water ran down the back wall which was mirrored, really pretty, and then I have pics of Voyagers salt water tanks in the Boleros area as well...they used to do water features pretty much back in the day.  Even Rhapsody had a fountain under the steps in the lobby.  Guess they got to be too mucky to maintain but they were sure gorgeous!

Royal Caribbian Trip 020.jpg

• Like 1

Just so y'll know, I'm still torn on where to go so I guess I'll decide when we get there.  
The Viking Crown Lounge on Deck 14 sounds nice because it looks comfy and good view.   

The lounge on Deck 5 sounds nice too because it also looks comfy and there is a raffle there, that I think is before the rooms open?    I'll have to check into that.  

The library has the advantage of being super close to our cabins.  I'd be basically right there.  

I'm not a fan of the outdoors unless water is involved, so that is the only spot I eliminated.  

If I'm able to dump all our stuff when/if I drop the medicine, I think I'll go to Deck 14 Viking Lounge.  I look forward to some alone time.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Just so y'll know, I'm still torn on where to go so I guess I'll decide when we get there.  
The Viking Crown Lounge on Deck 14 sounds nice because it looks comfy and good view.   

The lounge on Deck 5 sounds nice too because it also looks comfy and there is a raffle there, that I think is before the rooms open?    I'll have to check into that.  

The library has the advantage of being super close to our cabins.  I'd be basically right there.  

I'm not a fan of the outdoors unless water is involved, so that is the only spot I eliminated.  

If I'm able to dump all our stuff when/if I drop the medicine, I think I'll go to Deck 14 Viking Lounge.  I look forward to some alone time.  

I agree.   Just off 63 nights on little sister Serenade.  Two things I was looking forward to when I got home...my own cooking...but mostly....the peace and quiet!  Can't seem to get away from all the noise and people talking loudly on a ship.  

23 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

This was in Bolero area

Just so that any new cruiser doesn’t  get confused reading through this thread, Boleros no longer exists on Voyager. It’s  now “The Tavern”… a venue not found on the other ships.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2024 at 4:10 PM, BecciBoo said:

Even Rhapsody had a fountain under the steps in the lobby.  Guess they got to be too mucky to maintain but they were sure gorgeous!

I don't remember water features, but they look lovely in your photographs.  

7 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I've never loved that place, but it is often fairly empty mid-day, and you'll have a view of the main pool deck and the water.  

The lounge on Deck 5 sounds nice too because it also looks comfy and there is a raffle there, that I think is before the rooms open?

I don't love that lounge, as it's definitely "interior" and on Day 1 I want to be outside (or at least feel connected to the outside). 

What kind of raffle are you expecting?  Do know that even the winners aren't always winners.  On a recent cruise, my husband won a coupon for $50 at the spa ... but you couldn't actually get $50 in products or services.  I picked up a price list, and the cheapest item (a manicure) would've been something like $120 after the coupon.  

Please don't get your hopes up for free stuff like wine tastings and raffle winnings.  

The library is super close to cabins, and it's almost certain to be empty (or near-empty).  It wins for convenience but loses for ambiance.  

FYI:  When we've traveled with other people, we've used the library (or the Next Cruise office, or the Card Room -- depends upon where our cabin is and what's available on that ship) as a meeting place.  Before dinner, for example, or early in the morning before leaving the ship, those spaces are almost always empty, and they're a perfect spot for a group to gather.  

To be clear, you can order a refrigerator to your room, but it'll be in your room -- you won't have access until probably 1:00.  They'll have the doors to the cabin hallways closed, and you're not supposed to go in until the staff opens them. 

If I were you, I'd bring a small cooler with ice packs.  I suspect you're bringing such a thing for transportation there and back.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

1 hour ago, Morecruisesplz said:

You are taking the wrong vacation. 

Nah, embarkation is going to be crowded -- it's just not fun regardless of the choices you make.  Same for disembarkation.  Then the ship will feel rather crowded until the rooms open, but then the public spaces will (mostly) be comfortable.  

You can always find quiet spots -- you just need to look around a bit.  

55 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Just so that any new cruiser doesn’t  get confused reading through this thread, Boleros no longer exists on Voyager. It’s  now “The Tavern”… a venue not found on the other ships.

Oh no that was my favorite, do they serve mojitos?

55 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't remember water features, but they look lovely in your photographs.  

They filled them up with plastic plants first and then took the whole glass aquarium out of Voyager and replaced them with the Chahuly like glass flowers way back.