Viking Mars self service laundry ? Is detergent provided free or should i bring my own

phillipahain

3 hours ago, phillipahain said:

So used to other ships having push button automatic detergent dispensers 

Viking also uses push button detergent dispensers.  On Mars last month and they had added machine instruction sheets, explaining the symbols on the washers and dryers.  Much easier to operate.

• Like 1

It's a fine Ecolab laundry detergent, dispensed by pushing the button on the numbered dispenser at the end of the machines. My views in no way influenced by the fact that I work for Ecolab 🙂 You'll also see Ecolab sanitizing wipes by sports equipment, and Ecolab cleaning "toolkits" used by the cabin staff.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:29 AM, WanderingBrit said:

It's a fine Ecolab laundry detergent, dispensed by pushing the button on the numbered dispenser at the end of the machines. My views in no way influenced by the fact that I work for Ecolab 🙂 You'll also see Ecolab sanitizing wipes by sports equipment, and Ecolab cleaning "toolkits" used by the cabin staff.

Not meant as an insult, but the detergent stuff on the expedition ships... smells badly. Industrial cleaning smell. I'm almost inclined to use my own detergent. Viking may not like that, but Viking probably doesn't like my biological deposits in their toilets either. 😉  

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

Not meant as an insult, but the detergent stuff on the expedition ships... smells badly. Industrial cleaning smell. I'm almost inclined to use my own detergent. Viking may not like that, but Viking probably doesn't like my biological deposits in their toilets either. 😉  

Please don’t. Your own detergent may not be compatible with the Viking system and you could cause a problem. Having attended a presentation by the Viking Chief Engineer on the Mars  recently on the water and waste systems on the ships, I can assure you the ships can handle your “biological deposits”.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Please don’t. Your own detergent may not be compatible with the Viking system and you could cause a problem. Having attended a presentation by the Viking Chief Engineer on the Mars  recently on the water and waste systems on the ships, I can assure you the ships can handle your “biological deposits”.

Did the Viking Mars engineer mention what the specific issue is with store bought detergent? IMHO, there are people flushing "flushable" wipes somewhere in the Viking fleet, because Viking caters to a crowd where some likely believe regular toilet paper is beneath them.

Furthermore, I look at a laundry pod, even if it were straight HCl acid at pH 1 or liquid drainer clear at pH 14, there is enough water moving into their sewage system that it would balance it out.

I hate people, including engineers, that parrot talking points and don't have a technical understanding of why something is the way it is. If the engineer is able to explain the chemistry behind that, I can appreciate it.

Honestly, the fragrance of the detergent Viking uses is awful. They definitely don't use the same stuff in their bedding or towels.

Edited by Mike07

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Not meant as an insult, but the detergent stuff on the expedition ships... smells badly. Industrial cleaning smell. 

I'd rather the industrial smell to the reaction I get to many perfumes added to mask the the industrial smell. 

I believe that Viking uses one detergent throughout the fleet.  

Don't conflate grey water treatment with sewage treatment on board. They are handled differently.  

• Like 2

Just speculating here, but was on Polaris, an expedition ship in 2023, for over 2 weeks doing laundry in the free facilities numerous times had no notice of any scent whatsoever. I am extremely sensitive to fragrance in detergents, etc. I suspect your experience was from a previous user of the equipment.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Just speculating here, but was on Polaris, an expedition ship in 2023, for over 2 weeks doing laundry in the free facilities numerous times had no notice of any scent whatsoever. I am extremely sensitive to fragrance in detergents, etc. I suspect your experience was from a previous user of the equipment.

I was going to say the same theory.

We've NEVER had any notice of ANY fragrance from doing wash and we've done a lot of Viking Cruises.  Plus, I don't even remember anyone "complaining" about it or even mentioning it until Mike07.  So I figure it was a one-off.  

I do think the massive use of perfume onboard is, however, a problem.  We've moved tables in the restaurant because of someone.  Kind of ruins the taste of food and wine!

• Like 2

I had a problem with odor using the free laundry on Mars last year.  It smelled like there was detergent build up in the washer and it needed a good cleaning.  I told guest services about it and they comped sending my laundry out.  I hadn't had a problem on previous trips.  I haven't mentioned it before because I thought it was a one of.  Wonder if it happens to others....

12 hours ago, dd57 said:

I had a problem with odor using the free laundry on Mars last year.  It smelled like there was detergent build up in the washer and it needed a good cleaning.  I told guest services about it and they comped sending my laundry out.  I hadn't had a problem on previous trips.  I haven't mentioned it before because I thought it was a one of.  Wonder if it happens to others....

We just spent several weeks on Mars in October and had absolutely no issues with wash, and didn't hear anyone else talk about it either so maybe they fixed whatever your issue was.

Edited by CCWineLover

17 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'd rather the industrial smell to the reaction I get to many perfumes added to mask the the industrial smell. 

I personally do not like fragrances in my detergent for clothing. I buy the free and clear stuff. Honestly, the Member's Mark or Kirkland signature powdered detergent works awesome.

I'm surprised I seem to be the only one that dislikes the industrial clean smell.

13 hours ago, dd57 said:

That could be it, too. I would imagine the machines are engineered to use less water, the HE kind, and the detergent seems to be a push button that dispenses the same amount regardless of soil level.

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

I personally do not like fragrances in my detergent for clothing. I buy the free and clear stuff. Honestly, the Member's Mark or Kirkland signature powdered detergent works awesome.

I'm surprised I seem to be the only one that dislikes the industrial clean smell.

Hold on a second!  I never said liked the industrial cleaner smell but at least I can tolerate it.  Anything is better than the reaction I get to the flower fragrances.

• Like 3