Shore excursions - when to book?

OTrail

Probably seems like a daft question but I was just looking at my cruise and see there's already shore excursions available - I'm not sailing until May 2025. Are excursions usually available this early and should I start booking or am I safe to leave it for a good few months yet to see if other, different, excursions are added?

1 minute ago, OTrail said:

Probably seems like a daft question but I was just looking at my cruise and see there's already shore excursions available - I'm not sailing until May 2025. Are excursions usually available this early and should I start booking or am I safe to leave it for a good few months yet to see if other, different, excursions are added?

I would wait 4 months months before the cruise because changes happen all the time! I don't want my card charged until it looks like its a definate "go". Some people are charged even if plans change and there you are standing in line 20 people deep at the desk to make sure you are refunded when you could be at spa relaxing. 

These excursions are so costly now and I don't want to worry about any of it!

• Like 1

I’m finding that the pricing on some excursions increases after they are made available.  If it’s something you are really interested in, and don’t mind paying for it now, I would go ahead and book.  You can always cancel if you find something else.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OTrail said:

We book when they come out.  There are already increases showing up after only being out for 2 months, in some markets.

Many times they fill up quickly.  Just depends on the popularity. Ships are sailing full these days.

You can cancel if you change your mind.  Gives you a chance to search for alternatives.

• Like 3

If you have OBC I would book as soon as possible.  I have noticed with the last couple of cruises that they increased the cost as you get closer.  For my June 1 cruise,  two excursions were increased $20 since the time I booked which was probably around Oct.   Also, if there is an excursion that is on your bucket list, I would take the chance and charge it as it could sell out.  If you cancel before you get on the ship, it usually takes a couple of weeks to get the credit.  With all the OBC being non-refundable, we now use it for Princess excursions as we take the Plus pkg.  If one of you have more OBC than the other, you can call Princess excursion desk and ask to use that person's OBC to pay for both.  I do it all the time since my husband gets military OBC.  Some agents dont know about it but just insist and they will get it done.

Edited by emeraldlake
x
  • Like 2

As others have stated...if there's something that really appeals to you, DON'T WAIT!  I speak from experience.  I started looking at excursions for a particular cruise about 4 months out once...all the ones that were calling my name were already gone!  Get it booked...you can always cancel if your plans change.

• Like 3

We've had excursions booked for our Alaska cruise for many months. Many have been sold out for a long time already and the ones that aren't have increased in price. 

Book early to avoid disappointment and price increases. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OTrail said:

If you know you want an excursion, I’d book it. They can sell out very early, especially in ports with limited options like Greenland or the Falklands. Excursions are easy to cancel if something new does come along.

• Like 1

THANK YOU to the OP for this thread. My cruise is still 357 days away, but having OBC and seeing an excursion that I really, REALLY want, just booked it. Not sure how quickly the Panama Canal & Locks Transit By Boat sells, but didn’t want to take a chance. This is a Once-in-a-Lifetime cruise for me. Pretty happy! 😁

• Like 2

That is a great excursion. We did it on the Island  when the ship was new. The only other excursion that for sure sells out is the super pricey helicopter to the glacier for dog sledding in Alaska. As others said, if you want it, book it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

THANK YOU to the OP for this thread. My cruise is still 357 days away, but having OBC and seeing an excursion that I really, REALLY want, just booked it. Not sure how quickly the Panama Canal & Locks Transit By Boat sells, but didn’t want to take a chance. This is a Once-in-a-Lifetime cruise for me. Pretty happy! 😁

That's a wonderful excursion. We did it on the Coral in 2004

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 8:59 AM, OTrail said:

If it is a MUST SEE--BOOK NOW. You can always cancel. 

(I have no issues with things being charged/refunded to my credit card...since we use ours for EVERYTHING we buy to maximize points. Just pay it off every month)

We have been shut out of excursions we wanted to do because we drug our feet.

• Like 2

Thanks! I ended up booking 4 excursions today. I'm doing my own thing in two of the cities I'll be visiting so just another two destinations to look at but nothing jumped out at me. I was able to use $300 of on board credit too so basically got two excursions for free

• Like 1

Here’s one thing to think about-if you’re using non refundable OBC, make sure that you’re not going to cancel the excursion you use it for.  We canceled the first excursion we booked that used most of our OBC and had to book the others with a credit card. Now we have over $200 non refundable OBC and have booked all our other excursions and have the plus so there’s nothing left to buy. I would cancel another excursion that we paid for but all the prices have gone up at least $20-$40.