Icon prices out of control

8 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

It's not that I don't want ALL of it but would be nice if they made some new mid sized ships. Maybe cater to the mid life group lol. We don't go to bed at 9 but we don't party til 3am. I like a good water slide and use to enjoy a climb ( can't anymore due to a bad car accident that left me with a leg & foot full of metal lol). Oh well one can dream lol.

It is not economical... Royal will build smaller ships to go under some bridges.. but I do not see ships specifically for adults. For that there is Celebrity.

On 1/29/2024 at 1:25 PM, BecciBoo said:

I've been pricing every ship for our 30 anniversary year (2026) including Star and other lines including Carnival Jubilee and Sun Princess and every Celebrity Edge ship including the new Xcel and it looks like cruise fares will never be the same again after the scourge that was Covid.  Not many ships are much cheaper than any others, 

A lot of people seem to think what is here and now is forever. However, we don't know what the future holds. There are plenty of indicators out there that a recession is a possibility on the near-ish horizon. If not soon, it will eventually come. It will also be interesting to see how many jobs never return due to the growth of AI. The tech industry is experiencing some pain in layoffs at the moment. If the market dives, cruise companies will not be able to charge the same high rates they're charging now. It worries me what the paydown of their debt will look like. Cruise debt, nationa debt, consumer debt. Our countries' finances aren't as strong as made out to be.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It is not economical... Royal will build smaller ships to go under some bridges.. but I do not see ships specifically for adults. For that there is Celebrity.

I just did a 14 day carnival journey cruise, one that visits unusual ports. We had 19 kids. Go on a cruise designed for adults, you get adults. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I just did a 14 day carnival journey cruise, one that visits unusual ports. We had 19 kids. Go on a cruise designed for adults, you get adults. 

Agree.Our OLDEST cruise was cruise on Brilliance New England/Canada at the end of September 2013. We at early 40-s felt like grand kids.  🙂

On 1/28/2024 at 3:07 PM, eroller said:

MSC is a great value.  Give them a try.  Just remember to put your expectations in check with what you paid.  

It’s true lots of copying of Royal Caribbean ideas.  They are the innovators after all.   None of the copies are executed nearly as well though.  

The Dome on Princess will be nothing like the Aqua Dome.  It’s essentially a covered pool where at night they can host some parties.  

The theater in the round on HAL ships is nothing like Two70.  First it’s in the front, and it’s just a round show lounge.  There are no windows or views.  The Edge Class with Celebrity have a similar concept but it’s better executed than HAL.  The new SUN PRINCESS will also have a theater in the round style show lounge.  

It’s true that center interior promenade started with the cruise ferry SILJA SERENADE in 1990.  Royal took the concept and ran with it.  But to be fair the vast majority of Royal’s concepts are original.  BTW two classes of MSC ships also have a “Royal Promenade”, but it’s not done half as well as Royal does … but again a much cheaper product.  

Oh and one thing Royal copied from NCL on ICON is the Crown’s Edge.  NCL has had a ropes course for years.  On one side it has “walk the plank” out over the side to the ship.  On the other side a zip-line segment of the ropes course that jets you out over the side of the ship.  Crown’s Edge is just a fancier version and one you have to pay for.  It’s free on NCL.  About the only thing they don’t charge extra for.  

i thank you for your nice reply.   You are also knowledgeable just like I am.

Can't wait to go on ICON in My and Sun P in November.

We checked a few dates. An ocean view balcony next June 2025 was $8400. October 2025 was $6000, which is more than double what we're paying for Wonder October 2024. The prices on Wonder are actually higher than what we'd normally pay for a fall cruise, but decided to give a go anyway. It will be our first Oasis class cruise.